Boom stands or Straight stands.

Trey00100

I have two crashes, and a ride. I am definitely getting a boom for the ride, but I don't know if its better to get straight stands for the crashes or booms? I want the crashes kind of high.

i would say go for the boom stands because they are much bore adjustable, but they do cost more. if you do decide to get booms steer well clear of the mapex b550 boom stand.
i have had problems with this, it is just a pain to adjust, the "turny things" take far too long to loosen there also is a drum key adjustable thing which stops the cymbal from not receeding back down in to the big tube, and mine got stuck so now i can't adjust the boom arm because the "turny thing" is FAR too long (much longer than the others, for some stupid reason) and it gets stuck.
STEER CLEAR OF THE EVIL MAPEX B550!!

the pearl hardware is great though is have the BC-800W boom stand, hasn't put a foot wrong.

by "turny thing" i mean the little things (in the case of the B550 massive) that you erm.. turn.. to adjus tthe height ect.
i just remembered what the "turny things" are called, wing nuts.

Last edited:
it depends what kind of set up u have. If u have a 4 piece or a 1 up 2 down set up you could go all straight. but if you have a 2 down one down and so on it will be very difficult to position your cymbals ware you would like them.

why not get dual purpose stands that you can use either way.

I have Yamaha stands that can convert from straight to boom. plus Yamaha makes great hardware -- strong, sturdy and durable.

why not get dual purpose stands that you can use either way.

I have Yamaha stands that can convert from straight to boom. plus Yamaha makes great hardware -- strong, sturdy and durable.

dual purpose is definitely the way to go.
my pdp 900 hardware is dual purpose and very strong.

Straight stands are lighter, less expensive, less complex and easier to set up and take down. The drawback is they aren't as versatile and can't hold as many drums and cymbals. If you have just two or three stands, go straight, but if you want to pile multiple drums and cymbals on the set, go boom, or else you will have a forest of stands around your set.

Back