Bo Swanger Snare

incrementalg

Gold Member
I've been on the lookout for a copper snare drum for maybe a couple of years and finally pulled the trigger on this one from Bo Swanger who is in the Seattle, WA area. This thing sounds and feels fantastic. To my ears, its like the drum child of a Copperphonic and DW's copper snare. It has the obvious copper warmth, with more bite than the Copperphonic and more body than the DW. In terms of feel, it has a nice amount of give when I lay into it...it feels satisfying.

It's a straight wall, rolled shell...slightly under 2mm thick, with a Trick strainer setup and chrome over brass lugs. No clear coat...buffed on the outside and raw on the inside. Fit and finish is great all around and it really reflects in how the drum plays.

My understanding is that Bo's been cooking up his snare drum creations for a while and it's come to fruition within the last year or so. He's doing a pretty wide range of metal options...Bronze, Carbon, Magnesium, Copper, Titanium, Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Iron and Brass. He took the time to make a couple of videos for me in different contexts so I could hear it, answered my questions and gave lots of feedback on his stuff. I'm not a collector, but I have bought some boutique snares over the years...some were crap...some were just ok...some were great. This one is in the great category for me.

I'm not affiliated with him, but I wanted to share for anyone in the market. Anyone interested should look him up on Facebook.

Attachments

• Snare 1.jpg
    Snare 1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Snare 2.jpg
    Snare 2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back