Blast From the Past

C

C. Dave Run

I cant believe I found this. I had been playing drums for 3.5 years at this point, the band was 1 year old. The music was all recorded in 1 evening, the vocals the next. It was recorded on a stage, like a live show. There are no punch ins for me, everything is straight through, mistakes are there, no clicks/triggers/effects, just me and drums:

Takeaways:

Everything sounds awful. The ride cymbal is horrid. The guitars are extremely ratty. No one knew what they were doing at this point. No one here was playing metal, let alone recording it.

Its sloppy as hell.

"Too stupid to die, we trudge ever onward" is still one of my favorite lyrics.

Nice snare rattle to open the whole thing with.

I sound young. Fills are typical, some beats are too busy. Some things I played just right, some I would definitely do differently (now).

The drums were Pearl Exports, the snare was a Pearl Steel shell (with the extended snares), and the cymbals were a mix of Sabian B8, B8 Pro, and AA (still learning/acquiring/growing).

This is when music was still fun.

I’ve never been into “strepsils singers” but I really enjoyed listening to you play mate…some really cool ideas, solid grooves and double bass playing…honestly enjoyed that. Some of my fondest memories are from when I was starting out too. Nicely smashed young @C. Dave Run :D (y)

As the 😈 devil takes you on a tour through hell. That's when you know you are on to something. I like it better than Slipknot.
I’ve never been into “strepsils singers” but I really enjoyed listening to you play mate…some really cool ideas, solid grooves and double bass playing…honestly enjoyed that. Some of my fondest memories are from when I was starting out too. Nicely smashed young @C. Dave Run :D (y)
Enjoyed that! Here's me at three years (two years ago.)

Yall are too kind 🙂. It's fun to stroll down memory lane.

@Rock Salad that song is fun.

yeah...this is not bad, especially if it was recorded "live" on a stage.

and you are definitely right about those first years of being in badns being the most fun....everything is new; your only aspiration was to become your idols; there were no "scene rules"; you played for yourself and your band friends; failure was part of it, and forced you to learn how to not fail;

I cant believe I found this. I had been playing drums for 3.5 years at this point, the band was 1 year old. The music was all recorded in 1 evening, the vocals the next. It was recorded on a stage, like a live show. There are no punch ins for me, everything is straight through, mistakes are there, no clicks/triggers/effects, just me and drums:

Takeaways:

Everything sounds awful. The ride cymbal is horrid. The guitars are extremely ratty. No one knew what they were doing at this point. No one here was playing metal, let alone recording it.

Its sloppy as hell.

"Too stupid to die, we trudge ever onward" is still one of my favorite lyrics.

Nice snare rattle to open the whole thing with.

I sound young. Fills are typical, some beats are too busy. Some things I played just right, some I would definitely do differently (now).

The drums were Pearl Exports, the snare was a Pearl Steel shell (with the extended snares), and the cymbals were a mix of Sabian B8, B8 Pro, and AA (still learning/acquiring/growing).

This is when music was still fun.

I love it, personally. Mad 90s vibe. Who cares if it isn't perfect? The best examples of this type of music aren't perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah I agree this is pretty boss. Even the “lowfi” mix feels dark and cool. Overall it’s crisp and it hits. That rhythm guitar is thick and those drums just nail everything down real slick.
Lol, I see what OP means maybe the ride cymbal does sound a bit like a dinner bell. Totally on point though and in the pocket. A little bit of a dark camp sound, or maybe just think of it as a funeral bell..

Bro if this is you guys "not playing metal", I'm dying to hear some of your recent stuff.

Wow, so when this was recorded I was just a pup in elementary school who hadn’t even yet seen a drumset in person. Far out…

Last edited:
Lol what I meant was, when we formed our band, this area was all blues, funk, and country. There was no metal here at all. So when we recorded this, no one knew what they were doing.

Last time I was in the studio was 2001. This is from those recordings:

Thats cool man! It has a Meshuggah vibe

Love it Dave ! Lots of different metal going on from mid 80’s to mid 2000’s and well to currently also . I always liked and like more melodic or nu metal singing . But always liked the drumming in ALL if not most metal . most metal back in the ( my) day wasn’t really my thing and I was firmly rooted in rock , hard rock , and blues so never explored or went the double bass route but now wish I had as a lot of the stuff I’m into now utilizes it, but I’m currently digging in and trying with a double pedal on loan from a buddy .
Anyway , couple years back I came across an old friends demo from 1986 or 88? Brought back lots of memories of playing local clubs and going to see his band Majestic Ryte. Coming across it also lit a bit of a fire under my ass to give it a go and also re connect with that old friend.

Again , like you’re band the singing was not my thing but the drumming was good , even if not recorded so well . He stops over now and again for coffee and check my progress which is horrendous lol 😂. Anyway ……this is them . He was maybe just 20 or 21 at the time .

They re formed in like 2016 or17 and put this out recently.

A tune off the 88 demo. The rest are findable/available on YouTube and elsewhere if you like .

Love it Dave ! Lots of different metal going on from mid 80’s to mid 2000’s and well to currently also . I always liked and like more melodic or nu metal singing . But always liked the drumming in ALL if not most metal . most metal back in the ( my) day wasn’t really my thing and I was firmly rooted in rock , hard rock , and blues so never explored or went the double bass route but now wish I had as a lot of the stuff I’m into now utilizes it, but I’m currently digging in and trying with a double pedal on loan from a buddy .
Anyway , couple years back I came across an old friends demo from 1986 or 88? Brought back lots of memories of playing local clubs and going to see his band Majestic Ryte. Coming across it also lit a bit of a fire under my ass to give it a go and also re connect with that old friend.

Again , like you’re band the singing was not my thing but the drumming was good , even if not recorded so well . He stops over now and again for coffee and check my progress which is horrendous lol 😂. Anyway ……this is them . He was maybe just 20 or 21 at the time .

They re formed in like 2016 or17 and put this out recently.

A tune off the 88 demo. The rest are findable/available on YouTube and elsewhere if you like .

those guys are awesome!!! Can't find 'em on Spotify though...😞

Back