Blasphemy...possibly?

As someone who has two 22x20's, i really wouldn't recommend them. They're very one dimensional. The only make one big-ass boomy sound, which is great if thats what you want, but theres not much else you can do with them. And moving them through doors is really annoying.

I've been down the road with custom sizes myself. I've always been aware that the sizes I wanted are not what most others would go for, so "resale" doesn't factor in for what I've done at different times.
Sometimes I've been able to get some custom things through sources at companies, other times it's "build from parts".
Last year, I did a GREAT sounding straight shell Black Nickel 6.5 with Imperial lugs. The snare is a beast, really sensitive, and in every way comparable in quality to any of my "real" BB's.

Not "blasphemy" IF you want to sell, it's not passed off as a custom build by whatever company.
With shells, I'll give a big NO on the 10 ply shell, at least on the bass drum.
From experience, I'll say the 8 ply is an all around way better choice. Works with any head, hoop & tuning you want to have also. The 10 ply is very limiting.
The 10 ply shell has a too contained a sound to me on an 18x24 bass drum I have--and with a 22x20, it would sound like tube IMO.

A 20" depth is great IMO, it's the best of both worlds in sound for a drum with & without a front head, depending on your micing choices. It's ALWAYS worked and sound beautifully for me live or recorded.
That's with a 20x26 too!
I've played 20x20's and I had a lot of fun.
And in your wanting a 20" depth drum, one could assume you aren't going to be "feathering" the batter head that a 14" depth would work for.

A FANTASTIC source for shells is Nordic shells.

I had a drum built with one of their shells recently, and it's beautiful. Not overly pricey either.
Anything I do, that isn't from a drum company, would be done with a Nordic shell now.

With the hardware, if your lugs and bits are solid and you like them, by all means use them and be happy.

Good luck with the project!

I say go for it. It is really fun to "build" your own kit.

I put these together with Keller Vintage Mahogany shells and couldn't be happier with them. I bought the hardware from Drum Factory Direct and drilled the holes and cut the bearing edges then sprayed them with 9 coats of satin clear lacquer and finally 6 coats of finishing wax.

I say go for it and build whatever sizes you want. With a 20" deep bass drum, there is plenty of room to cut it down to 14 or 16 if you wanted to.

Front sm.jpg

I think it's a really, really bad idea. Instead of what you're doing I'd recommend any of the following:

1. Just get a kit from one of the many builders who routinely makes custom sizes.
2. Try some of the other Yamaha models: Old Maple Absolutes, Oak Customs, Live Customs, even the previous iteration of the Rock Tour kits.
3. Try another already made kit.
4. Lose your aversion to the hybrid shells. I've owned Maple Customs, Maple Custom Absolutes, and the current Tour Customs. The Absolute Hybrid Maples are my favorite of the lot. They sound amazing.

But, I mean, I'm just a risk-averse dude on the internet.

About the Stage Custom idea though - I took a different approach:
I cut round over edges, used inverse dyna hoops from a Tour Custom set, and run coated vintage emperors.
I have three maple sets, and with these mods done to the stage customs, you'd be hard pressed to tell what wood they are.
Did you post about the mods? I read the thread you linked, and didn't see anything about it. I'd love to see/read about it.

Did you post about the mods? I read the thread you linked, and didn't see anything about it. I'd love to see/read about it.
Over the years I have. Nothing much different with these.
Gave them a 1/4" round over on the outside edges (which I do on most of the less expensive drums I've gotten),
exchanged hoops for ones I like better, and changed heads.
Didn't have to do any cutting down depths, drilling, inside or outside finish work, or wood hardening on these.
I prefer a shorter depth bass drum, but probably best to leave it as is, in case I sell them somewhere down the road.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t do it unless it’s for the sake of taking on a fun project. You’ll not know how they sound until you’re done and if you don’t like them…it’s too late.

I wouldn’t be concerned about all maple shell vs any other shell makeup. On drums, the whole is greater than the sum of individual components. There are amazing warm sounding sets that aren’t strictly maple shelled. I’d find a set that meets my sound needs from a manufacturer if it’s going to be my main set. But, if this is for fun…go for it.

Back