best STAVE snare builder?

I don't know who's "best", but I'm gonna get one of these from a maker in my town of residence when I get the scratch: http://salemstreetdrums.com
Likewise, I'm sure there are plenty of awesome builders out there I haven't tried!

There is a company in the UK called De Broize Custom Drums that make some lovely drums, using reclaimed wood. The Koto series use Koto wood from an old work bench, and the air vent utilises the original bolt holes. Worth checking out - https://www.debroizecustom.com/product-page/037-14-x6-5-black-walnut-stave-snare-drum

wondered if LUKA drums who make solid log snares are any good? looking at a 12x7 ASH snare. What y'all think about LUKA and owning a solid log snare? Are they in round perfectly? Strong? it would be 1/2" thick.

wondered if LUKA drums who make solid log snares are any good? looking at a 12x7 ASH snare. What y'all think about LUKA and owning a solid log snare? Are they in round perfectly? Strong? it would be 1/2" thick.

Their drums are amazing, I have an ash kit and a maple 14x6 kit from them. That snare will be LOUD, it’s perfect for funk and hip hop.

I have a shell from Daville that I have no complaints with, although it is a bit of a one trick pony as it is a thin walnut stave 14x7.......

I have a shell from Daville that I have no complaints with, although it is a bit of a one trick pony as it is a thin walnut stave 14x7.......
i also have a great 14x8 padauk stave from daville and i love it and yes block stave snares TEND to be one trick ponies, but that trick is wonderful

That's really cool. Does the drum come with a history lesson also?
Actually, yes. He'll send you a 6" plank of the same wood used to make your drum. He signs it & with it is a sheet telling you where he got the wood from.
He even has an Air B&B on his property so if you're there for a new kit, you can watch the whole process. Quite an outside the box thinker.

'Bout to order a Caolina Drumworks 12x7 Bolivian Rosewood or Wenge .5" stave snare...before I do, any comments or info re: the maker and wood choice? How many lugs is best for 12x7 - 6 or 8?

Last edited:
'Bout to order a Caolina Drumworks 12x7 Bolivian Rosewood or Wenge .5" stave snare...before I do, any comments or info re: the maker and wood choice? How many lugs is best for 12x7 - 6 or 8?

I would go with rosewood and 6 lugs. I would normally say 8 lugs to get that tight hip hop sound, but I would want to hear the wood sing. I assume you want a tight, poppy, crack sound, given that it’s 12”. If not, go with the wenge

I would go with rosewood and 6 lugs. I would normally say 8 lugs to get that tight hip hop sound, but I would want to hear the wood sing. I assume you want a tight, poppy, crack sound, given that it’s 12”. If not, go with the wenge

Exactly - I want to hear the wood tone most of all - I have on order a 12x4 Gretsch Vinnie C snare (for tight, tight sound) so with this 12x7 I hope to get a more Brady-esque deeper pop, crack woody flavor.

The Bolivian vs Wenge - my impression is Wenge would be more stiff, not as warm sounding as the B. Rosewood but I don't know for sure. Leaning towards the rosewood.

Exactly - I want to hear the wood tone most of all - I have on order a 12x4 Gretsch Vinnie C snare (for tight, tight sound) so with this 12x7 I hope to get a more Brady-esque deeper pop, crack woody flavor.

The Bolivian vs Wenge - my impression is Wenge would be more stiff, not as warm sounding as the B. Rosewood but I don't know for sure. Leaning towards the rosewood.

Wenge usually has more lows than rosewood, I’d listen to a few YouTube videos of each one. But the thickness of the staves will make a bigger difference than wood type. Once you pick your wood type, I’d go with thin or medium thin staves, maybe 1/4”, with slight integrated rerings. The thinness is so you can hear the wood.

Wenge usually has more lows than rosewood, I’d listen to a few YouTube videos of each one. But the thickness of the staves will make a bigger difference than wood type. Once you pick your wood type, I’d go with thin or medium thin staves, maybe 1/4”, with slight integrated rerings. The thinness is so you can hear the wood.
interesting thank you didn’t know

I've skimmed over the thread. I've listened to so many stave snaredrums on YouTube trying to find a runner up to Brady's lemon scented gum 7x13 that I'm throwing in the towel. I'm exhausted. But I'm going to go back over this thread and zone in on anything hopeful. I could have had a Brady..i talked (texted) with the man himself who was going to send me a drum to experiment with and I didn't do it. Why!..what was wrong! with me. A forever regret.

Back