Best Patches To Use With Remo Silent Stroke BD Heads????

PeartFan

I'm going to have a new double bass pedal soon and use a Remo Silent Stroke head on my BD for practice.

Does anyone have suggestions for the best patches to use to protect the mesh head? I'm a bit of a heavy player too.

When I've used the SS Bass drum head, I just put a regular patch on it.
That should suffice.

At GC however, you can see the damage inflicted on the e-Kits when they don't put on a patch...

Also, the patch seemed to impart a more definitive click sound, which I liked since I could strike it at more volumes and still hear each stroke.

I've never played the Remo Silentstroke but it seems pretty similar to the Evans Retro Screen heads which I have played, I had a Retro Screen as a resonant side head on my kick drum for a while and also played it a few times as a batter head for quiet practice.

It's not going to feel much like a real kick drum because the beater is going to bounce right off the head. As far as a patch for it goes definitely go with a Remo impact patch I always go with the Falam Slam. Remo's patches have 3M adhesive and don't come off very easily on a normal bass drum head, I bought an Aquarian Kick Pad and it fell off after using it twice!!

A little while ago I bought a silent stroke head to practice my snare drum quietly, but even at a low tension, the rebound seems a little over the top. I've found it good for learning sticking combos but awful for speed practice that can quickly translate to the regular kit.

Out of curiosity do you get similar issues with the base rebound?

Remo Silent Strokes heads don't come with a patch :-(

There's significant rebound with the BD head, I have a 22" BD and having it a bit slack helps. Honestly you get used to it after a while. The Falam Slam patch helps a lot with getting a better feel.

A little while ago I bought a silent stroke head to practice my snare drum quietly, but even at a low tension, the rebound seems a little over the top. I've found it good for learning sticking combos but awful for speed practice that can quickly translate to the regular kit.

Out of curiosity do you get similar issues with the base rebound?

I've found that tuning them down a lot helps with the unnatural rebound.

I use a Silent Stroke on my bass drum. I put a regular patch on it.

I did not like the feel of the rebound so I put a large pillow inside up against the drum head. It feels more natural now and it is very quiet.

Re visit. I have just started to use the Remo Silent Stroke & I can't get a patch to stay stuck on the head. Always peels away. Am using a double pedal. Bloody thing :(

I've used the Falam Slam and Aquarian Kick Pad (regular and thin) and they all worked great on mesh heads. No peeling off or anything like that. I always try not to play right away after applying the patch. Give the adhesive time to . . . . . . adhese.

The Falam Slam eliminated a little bit of the rebound, which I thought was a good result.

Last edited:
Have applied some contact adhesive to the patch & left it overnight. Will try shortly

Back