Best Drummers Gig Ever?

danondrums

For reasons I won't go into here, I've dug super deep into 1983-1990 Madonna catalog and I'm realizing that was probably the best gig for any drummer ever.
Who else has thrown on the headphones and played along to this material? Really cool hi-hat patterns, driving rhythm section and people dancing their faces off.

I might consider that to have been the best drummers gig ever in the history of music. :)

Now, flame away or share your dream gig but pick something interesting!!! Let's be honest, being the drummer in Frank Zappa, Chick Corea, Rush or something of that ilk would be really stressful!

There's a lot of both Dave and Vinnie on Madonna's work.

The gig's Vinnie's most famous for would be my dream gigs. Joni, Sting, Jeff and Herbie. Anything in that vein I could live on would be just fine, though. Something that's not stale where band can have a bit of fun, focus on groove and dynamics and still with a broad appeal.

I'd love to play with some hot country act (Yup, the same music that "real" country fans hate).

Easy, fun music for thousands of fans every night. Bring. It.

Reactions: Jml
OK now I have to play along with some Madonna albums. I never was a big Madonna fan but she was a great influence at the time.

I would like to play for Joe Satriani. Peace and goodwill.

I'll be the odd man out. Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, or Metallica. There is nothing like seeing a sea of metalheads going crazy. While most would probably consider this a stressful situation, as a death metal drummer any one of these bands would be a step down in speed and intensity and just a straight up fun situation.

Another interesting thread. I'm going to say any gig with Jeff Beck. He is such an amazing and underrated guitarist. And watching his shows I love how he lets his drummers stretch and go berserk. Watch either Narada or Vinnie playing with Beck and you'll know what I mean.

I've recorded and played both live versions of Madonna's "Like A Virgin" but my singer changes the words. :)

Seriously, I think that I have the best drumming gig ever! I get to be several different drummers on every gig, several drummers on every album, the gig has kept me growing as a player, musician and programmer, it's a great living, I've got several walls with gold & platinum albums, and it's still fun after 37 years or touring and recording.

It's also nice to have the respect of my fellow drummers, and from the industry. Not necessarily for how well I play, but for the almost unheard-of longevity of being in a group with the same players and still touring and making hit albums. I think only U2 and ZZ Top have us beat, and I'll give a nod to Rush (even though Neil was not the original drummer, and the band isn't together anyway.)

I wouldn't trade my gig with anyone. Except possibly Gregg or Abe Jr., ... who wouldn't want to play with a Beatle?

Bermuda

Seriously, I think that I have the best drumming gig ever!

I totally agree 100%. No matter the level of playing or success or money anyone ever achieves as a drummer, your gig looks like the most fun. I know I had a blast watching y'all perform. I can't imagine the enjoyment that must come from actually having that gig.

I've recorded and played both live versions of Madonna's "Like A Virgin" but my singer changes the words. :)

Seriously, I think that I have the best drumming gig ever! I get to be several different drummers on every gig, several drummers on every album, the gig has kept me growing as a player, musician and programmer, it's a great living, I've got several walls with gold & platinum albums, and it's still fun after 37 years or touring and recording.

It's also nice to have the respect of my fellow drummers, and from the industry. Not necessarily for how well I play, but for the almost unheard-of longevity of being in a group with the same players and still touring and making hit albums. I think only U2 and ZZ Top have us beat, and I'll give a nod to Rush (even though Neil was not the original drummer, and the band isn't together anyway.)

I wouldn't trade my gig with anyone. Except possibly Gregg or Abe Jr., ... who wouldn't want to play with a Beatle?

Bermuda
Bragger!

The best gigs are the ones had by drummers like Lars Ulrich and Niel Peart. Not only are they band members and getting an equal cut of records, tours, and merch, but they have writing credits on nearly every song, so they're getting publishing royalties too.

For reasons I won't go into here, I've dug super deep into 1983-1990 Madonna catalog and I'm realizing that was probably the best gig for any drummer ever.
Who else has thrown on the headphones and played along to this material? Really cool hi-hat patterns, driving rhythm section and people dancing their faces off.

I might consider that to have been the best drummers gig ever in the history of music. :)

Now, flame away or share your dream gig but pick something interesting!!! Let's be honest, being the drummer in Frank Zappa, Chick Corea, Rush or something of that ilk would be really stressful!
i Have played along Papa Don't Preach and Like a Virgin. Those two songs have a very similar super simple grove with the occasional change, the point for me is to keep as much of a perfect tempo as possible while playing really relaxed. I like any music that has a decent groove (to play along to, not so much to listen to). but for a decent but underrated drummer check Digital Bath by Deftones or some of their other songs (change, Hole in the earth, Kimdracula) To name a few.
My dream gig used to be back in the 80's when Motley Crue was in their prime, granted I was 10 but seeing that drumset lift up in the air and Tommy Lee playing upside down above the audience was a life changer. I learned how to twirl my sticks and play like I was beating the crap out of the drums (but not really beating that hard) to me it was how bad ass he looked, and IMO he was one of the first drummers to steal attention away from the vocalist because it was interesting to watch.

I'll be the odd man out. Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, or Metallica. There is nothing like seeing a sea of metalheads going crazy. While most would probably consider this a stressful situation, as a death metal drummer any one of these bands would be a step down in speed and intensity and just a straight up fun situation.
I would also love to play for Slayer, Megadeth or Metallica, but my second dream gig would have been playing for Sepultura on the Beneath the Remains tour.

not the odd man out for sure

for me it would be Nicko McBrain...great band; great guys to hang with; being part of a milestone group...

I would also pick Neil Peart for the same reason...

my other dream gig would be the caption head of The Bluecoats, or Cavaliers or any other DCI drumline. I am sort of living that dream at my day job, but just not at that level

I'll take the Joe Bonnamassa gig.

He's really prolific, among other things.

My favorite Madonna tune to play along to has to be Open Your Heart. The bass drum and open/close hihat patterns in the choruses are tricky and awesome sounding. There are some delicious grooves going on in there that really make you want to move.

When I think of a dream gig I think of music that never asks me to reach for my full arsenal of skill. A gig like playing for Rush or Jeff Beck or some fast metal band would either be stressful due to the complicated music or the sheer effort/energy needed to put out every night.

4/4 all night with 4 on the floor bass drum sounds like a nice relaxing way to retire. :)

Let me go back in time and kick Phil Rudd off his throne and be drummer for the Live at River Plate concert.

The energy in that stadium, holy shit!

Back