Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

I will preface this comment that I do not consider myself a double bass pedal player. I have owned a few over the years and quickly sold them as I far prefer playing gigs with a single pedal . That being said, I do own a Yamaha Direct Drive double pedal from the last series before the FP9 came out . It has a nice smooth footboard , it is very smooth and quick and I quite enjoy playing it on my practice kit .
Yamaha bass drum pedals are very underrated , I have had a few over the years and they are very good workmanlike pedals . Maybe it is the lack of fancy features or the lack of advertising on Yamaha’s behalf that leads to this lack of knowledge . Too bad because they are worth looking into as they can be had quite reasonably and they play well and are very sturdy and reliable .!

I use a Yamaha FP9. I love it and it comes with a belt. The pearl eliminator redline is unmatched in adjustability. I also like the DW 5000, but haven’t tried the 9000. I’d go with the FP9 or redline.

This is my 2nd favorite pedal. Its a well built beautiful pedal.

The only pedal that I happen to own and like more is the Trick V1 Pro Big Foot.

A year later, I sold the Yamaha pretty quickly. I just couldn't adjust to it. Went back with a 5000. But I really want to see what all the hype is about on the Redline, especially the strap model.
What's the big deal about the strap model?

My choice, when there is not enough space on the stage for a 2nd kick drum: Sonor Giant Step Middle Pedal (y)
Photo shows the pedal with the original beater. I have exchanged them for more punch for Gibraltar beater.

24558734-B98C-453D-A336-A89732C51317.jpeg

Last edited:
My choice, when there is not enough space on the stage for a 2nd kick drum: Sonor Giant Step Middle Pedal (y)
I've been thinking about getting an offset pedal for ages (and if it wasn't for the expense I'd get one).
How do these feel?

I've been thinking about getting an offset pedal for ages (and if it wasn't for the expense I'd get one).
How do these feel?
1200$ feel
Sorry this thing is waaaaaaaay overpriced and doesn’t even have ball bearings in the u-joints. I can’t imagine it being better than the original offset pedal at less than half the price

1200$ feel
Sorry this thing is waaaaaaaay overpriced and doesn’t even have ball bearings in the u-joints. I can’t imagine it being better than the original offset pedal at less than half the price
You mean this one? This is the one I was going to go with originally anyway...

Attachments

• 41e05mfVQXL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    41e05mfVQXL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 13
How do these feel?
I bought the pedal used for 500€. This is the price for a used Giant Step middle pedal in Germany.

This pedal runs so symmetrical and responds without delays. Really fantastic!

But the real reason I just bought this pedal is the sitting position you have while playing!

I sit so straight in front of the set and that is the best for my playing feel (and my back).

But I also had a Pearl Demon P-3002D direct drive double pedal. Also a very fast pedal, super processed with many useful adjustment options. But with this type of double pedal you sit then just a little slanted. And that is uncomfortable for my feeling. I do not want to play a conventional double pedal any more.
This position of a middle pedal gives you so much freedom when playing and your set up!

But I think that the Offset pedal also does a very good job.

Reactions: TJK
I bought the pedal used for 500€. This is the price for a used Giant Step middle pedal in Germany.

This pedal runs so symmetrical and responds without delays. Really fantastic!

But the real reason I just bought this pedal is the sitting position you have while playing!

I sit so straight in front of the set and that is the best for my playing feel (and my back).

But I also had a Pearl Demon P-3002D direct drive double pedal. Also a very fast pedal, super processed with many useful adjustment options. But with this type of double pedal you sit then just a little slanted. And that is uncomfortable for my feeling. I do not want to play a conventional double pedal any more.
This position of a middle pedal gives you so much freedom when playing and your set up!

But I think that the Offset pedal also does a very good job.
Cool, thanks for the review!
Coincidentally, I also use Demon Drives and they're great. The reason for wanting to switch to an offset pedal is mainly for aesthetics more than anything (which doesn't really justify the expense)!

The Yamaha would be the one for me, I tried them and lived the feel especially with my Equina cord syndrome which leads to a lost of connection in my calf. But I have a Tama Dyna Sync single pedal so, if I had to use a double, it might be better for me to keep the same feeling...I think the Yamaha is cheaper thoughnthan the Tama dyna sync double pedal right?

Also, in what style of drumming you must have a double pedal? We play Funk so, I don't hink we need a double pedal, right?

Also, in what style of drumming you must have a double pedal? We play Funk so, I don't hink we need a double pedal, right?
For most styles of metal you "must" have a double pedal or 2 x bass drums (having said that Iron Maiden only uses a single).

I wouldn't see the need for it in funk drumming though....

Anyone used the Tama Speedcobra (HP910LWN) vs. the Pearl Pearl Eliminator (P-2052C)?

They're both roughly the same price on Thomann. The reviews seem to say Tama's hardware is second to none and how hardy it is and never gives any trouble. Whereas they 're saying the Pearl's big advantage is how endlessly adjustable it is. Any opinions on these? Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone used the Tama Speedcobra (HP910LWN) vs. the Pearl Pearl Eliminator (P-2052C)?

They're both roughly the same price on Thomann. The reviews seem to say Tama's hardware is second to none and how hardy it is and never gives any trouble. Whereas they 're saying the Pearl's big advantage is how endlessly adjustable it is. Any opinions on these? Thanks

I’ve owned both. I personally love the eliminator more. Just has so many options and has a great feel.

I recently just purchased one after using a Tama DynaSync and Trick big foot. It feels great

DW 9000 Double Pedal Extended Footboard is the best option for beginners with salient features:

1. Double kick pedal
2. Switch from accelerator to turbo drive
3. Chain drive or included nylon strap
4. Aircraft-grade aluminum
5. Tri-pivot toe clamp
6. EZ Infinite adjustable cam
7. Non-Sleep rubber grip base plate
8. Free-floating rotor-drive system

i have axis, pearl eliminators, and a trick double pedal that was owned by the drummer from at the gates.
despite the axis and trick being fancier I still go back to my pearl eliminators which must be at least 15 years old.
they are not fancy but they are reliable and the parts are easy to source if you need new cams, bolts, etc.

Back