Best cymbals for Reggae?

Dutch

Thanks, but as stated in the thread much earlier, i already know there isnt typically a ride however i use one. Amazing what a waste of time it is to get smart with someone...

Thanks for the reminder not to waste any more time on losing propositions such as this one...

Dutch

Nitemare

What A ride don't you like? They make a bunch of them. Is it one in particular or all of them?

And you've just gotta chill a little my friend. You've had but three respondents to this thread and you've shat on two of them in some way, shape or form. You're asking a reasonably broad question, so you can't kick up if you're not getting answers as specific as you'd like. As there are no cymbals dedicated for reggae, it may take some time and numerous suggestions of what could possibly work, before you find the "holy grail." Besides....the journey is half the fun. Imagine how many cymbals you're gonna get to hit in the next few weeks. ;-)

LOL good point, but i doubt i would have "shat" (not familiar with this term) on them if they had given me suggestions without the obvious lectures or attitudes. But i mean no offense to Dutch or Mike. And as far as the A series, ive tried the A Medium Ride, the A Armand Ride, and the A Sweet Ride, and the Sweet Ride is one of the two Zildjians i actually like.

MikeM

Platinum Member
...i doubt i would have "shat" ... on them if they had given me suggestions without the obvious lectures or attitudes.
I gave you a perfectly straightforward answer in my first reply - which, in case you missed it - would have eliminated the idea of using Rudes. It was you who ignored my "probably don't want the rock cymbal" sentiments and introduced that idea.

You want someone to tell you exactly what cymbals to use and you want to be taken seriously? Yeah, good luck with that.

And lastly, that you wanted to shit on me and Dutch was your defect, not ours.

Later dude.

Nitemare

I gave you a perfectly straightforward answer in my first reply - which, in case you missed it - would have eliminated the idea of using Rudes. It was you who ignored my "probably don't want the rock cymbal" sentiments and introduced that idea.

You want someone to tell you exactly what cymbals to use and you want to be taken seriously? Yeah, good luck with that.

And lastly, that you wanted to shit on me and Dutch was your defect, not ours.

Later dude.

You gave me an answer in the midst of a lecture in which you presented an idea i already knew quite well. But thanks anway.

Youve never asked someone for cymbal advice? If not i applaud and commend you, you god of cymbals.

If you want to be immature and continually snap back on a man 28 years your junior, be my guest grandpa. I clearly stated no offense to either of you, however another obvious fact is that i dont like wasting my time on people who take time out of their day to post useless comments on my thread and get smart with me. I asked a simple question, and i showed great appreciation to you when you gave me an answer. Dutch, however, gave me previously stated info and unneccesary attitude.

Thanks for your help and suggestion of the AA's.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Well, let me give you a little bit of additional advice: You don't get to twist the knife and follow it up with, "Hey, no offense," and think that's gonna fly. It doesn't work like that.

Nitemare

Sorry i tried to be the bigger man by apoligizing. I CLEARLY tried to make conversation with you, even showing interest in your ideas. But if that's how it must be, thanks for the additional advice and, yes, i will CONTINUE to twist the knife.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Hey guys!

I've been kinda absentee for a little bit. But anyways, does anyone know the best cymbals for Reggae? I would prefer Sabian, Paiste, or Meinl, (i've only heard two Zildjians i've ever really liked). I'm going to join a local record company as an in-studio session drummer, and itll be mostly Reggae/Hip-Hop/R&B artists.

Thanks!
-Shaun

You will find cymbals from any manufacturer perfectly suitable for reggae. Or any other genre for that matter.

Probably what you should be asking yourself is what tones and responses are you looking for. For example, rock weight cymbals probably aren't what you'd want from anyone's lines because they're really bright, overpowering and not easy to play with any subtlety. I'd think you'd be looking for medium to lighter weight hats, medium or medium-thin ride, and medium-thin to thin weight crashes. Throw in a splash or two and you're golden.

...from the first two posts. Seems like this thread should have been pretty open and shut. What happened?

My two cents, if I had to choose an "ideal" set up for the sounds that I like to create when playing reggae...thin Vintage Zildjian hats, HHX Evolution crashes, Armand splash(es).

Nitemare

My two cents, if I had to choose an "ideal" set up for the sounds that I like to create when playing reggae...thin Vintage Zildjian hats, HHX Evolution crashes, Armand splash(es).

Thanks! this sounds great! I have personal experience with the Evolution Crashes, i never even thought of them. What kind of vintage Zildjians, K's or A's? or just any really old ones?

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
You will find cymbals from any manufacturer perfectly suitable for reggae. Or any other genre for that matter.

Probably what you should be asking yourself is what tones and responses are you looking for. For example, rock weight cymbals probably aren't what you'd want from anyone's lines because they're really bright, overpowering and not easy to play with any subtlety. I'd think you'd be looking for medium to lighter weight hats, medium or medium-thin ride, and medium-thin to thin weight crashes. Throw in a splash or two and you're golden.

I would agree. Heavier, brighter cymbals just don't seem like they'd fit with reggae, at least in my view. Maybe I'm wrong but the OP did ask for opinions and I concur with this one.

Nitemare

I would agree. Heavier, brighter cymbals just don't seem like they'd fit with reggae, at least in my view. Maybe I'm wrong but the OP did ask for opinions and I concur with this one.

thank you, i was thinking that too because all of my cymbals except my ride (Sabian Xs20) are very bright (Sabian APXs and AAXs). Specifically, do you know any good thin hats i might try this weekend?

johnnystickems

I used live:
14" ZHT Mastersound Hi Hats
16" Hybrid K Crash
16" A custom Crash
Old 20" Zildjian Simitar Ride

I did like the ride but I would love a better one. The ZHT's were nice for what I did. I do roots reggae and lovers rock reggae, but I can use this cymbal setup for any genre I wanted. The Reason why I use two 16" crashes is that the K hybrid is thin and my main cymbal and I use the a custom when I need a thicker crash sound, mostly when I hit both at the same time. I would love to use a 20" zildjian k crash ride because the bell sounds super crisp.