Best cymbals for Reggae?

Nitemare

Hey guys!

I've been kinda absentee for a little bit. But anyways, does anyone know the best cymbals for Reggae? I would prefer Sabian, Paiste, or Meinl, (i've only heard two Zildjians i've ever really liked). I'm going to join a local record company as an in-studio session drummer, and itll be mostly Reggae/Hip-Hop/R&B artists.

Thanks!
-Shaun

Last edited:
You will find cymbals from any manufacturer perfectly suitable for reggae. Or any other genre for that matter.

Probably what you should be asking yourself is what tones and responses are you looking for. For example, rock weight cymbals probably aren't what you'd want from anyone's lines because they're really bright, overpowering and not easy to play with any subtlety. I'd think you'd be looking for medium to lighter weight hats, medium or medium-thin ride, and medium-thin to thin weight crashes. Throw in a splash or two and you're golden.

I'm sure. But certain cymbals are more suitable for certain genres. I don't think it would sound right if i used a Paiste Rude on a Reggae recording. Im asking for specific recommendations

Stewart Copeland used Rudes at one time... but that just serves to illustrate that it's the player way more than it is the gear.

Stewart Copeland used Rudes at one time... but that just serves to illustrate that it's the player way more than it is the gear.

The Police arent Reggae, they emmulated Reggae core concepts and infused them with driving rock. Calling them reggae is like calling Linkin Park rap. Either way, that wasnt the question but thanks for your input.

You're not really getting it, are you? You can play this game of semantics if you want, but the premise still holds: it's the player more than the cymbals; that most cymbals can be made to work; and that EVERY cymbal maker produces suitable cymbals for ANY genre, INCLUDING reggae.

You want to sound like Bob Marley's drummer? Then go find some '70s era Zildjians since that's what that guy was using in all liklihood. Can you get more pure than Marley? I think not. In any case, listen to those records and tell me that the cymbals don't sound exactly like what I described in my first response.

it's the player more than the cymbals; that most cymbals can be made to work; and that EVERY cymbal maker produces suitable cymbals for ANY genre, INCLUDING reggae.

+1.

Stop reading the marketing mate. Use your ears.

I've heard 2002's sit just fine in a jazz situation, yet the Paiste website tells me they are "designed for rock". How on earth did that guy make 'em sound so good with his jazz trio then? I've also heard hammered turkish cymbals work just fine for hard rock....where the marketing "norm" is for bright and cutting cymbals.

You want to sound like Bob Marley's drummer? Then go find some '70s era Zildjians since that's what that guy was using in all liklihood

A Zildjians work for everything.....including even the most specific strains of reggae.

You're not really getting it, are you? You can play this game of semantics if you want, but the premise still holds: it's the player more than the cymbals; that most cymbals can be made to work; and that EVERY cymbal maker produces suitable cymbals for ANY genre, INCLUDING reggae.

You want to sound like Bob Marley's drummer? Then go find some '70s era Zildjians since that's what that guy was using in all liklihood. Can you get more pure than Marley? I think not. In any case, listen to those records and tell me that the cymbals don't sound exactly like what I described in my first response.

Nobody's playing semantics, I realize it's the player but if I'd like to use cymbals that would be beneficial to the overall sound instead of using cymbals that i'd have to (most likely) play softer or sacrifice technique to make them suit the genre, who are you to tell me otherwise? I asked a simple question, if DW posters could give me some reccomendations on certain cymbals that would have an overall unified sound with the genre. I did not ask YOU to post on my thread an OBVIOUS fact that any cymbal would work for anything. I KNOW this. But considering my cymbals are geared towards heavy metal, i didnt feel theyd accurately represent the sound im going for. Thats how i am, i want cymbals that work well. Dont post on my threads if youre going to continually piss me off. Thank you kindly.

Dont post on my threads if youre going to continually piss me off. Thank you kindly.
LOL! Hey, I'm just telling it to you like it is. If you don't want to be pissed off, then don't post questions that jerks like me are likely to answer! Ha ha!

+1.

Stop reading the marketing mate. Use your ears.

I've heard 2002's sit just fine in a jazz situation, yet the Paiste website tells me they are "designed for rock". How on earth did that guy make 'em sound so good with his jazz trio then? I've also heard hammered turkish cymbals work just fine for hard rock....where the marketing "norm" is for bright and cutting cymbals.

A Zildjians work for everything.....including even the most specific strains of reggae.

Thanks, as i stated i know its the player, however id like to have a mellifluous reggae sound to contribut through my cymbals, which is why i asked for reccomendations. Id rather not use my APX's for it. I like the Zildjian A hats, but the ride in that series is what kills me :/ Any reccomendations PFOG? your advice is always helpful.

Okay, seriously... get some 14" AA Regular Hats, a 16" AA Thin Crash, a 10" AA Splash, and a 20" AA Medium Ride.

Good to go.

Okay, seriously... get some 14" AA Regular Hats, a 16" AA Thin Crash, a 10" AA Splash, and a 20" AA Medium Ride.

Good to go.

Much appreciated. Any thoughts on an extremely quick china? Almost like a whipping sound, yet oriental-ish?

I'll even take it a step further: get a little 20" bass drum, take the reso head off and jam a couch cushion into it. Get rid of your rack tom and replace it with an old snare drum with no head on the bottom (and no snares, obviously). Crank that sucker up and make it a believable timbale. You don't really need a floor tom, but if you must... Actually, ditto for the ride cymbal - it's optional, too.

Remember, those original cats were, shall we say, on a "budget" so if you show up with a bunch of shiny new gear (Tama Starclassics, say, and a bunch of new Sabians), you won't really be perceived to be very authentic.

Any thoughts on an extremely quick china? Almost like a whipping sound, yet oriental-ish?
Yeah, in the spirit of the above, I'd recommend stacking whatever broken cymbals you might find lying around. Seriously. I haven't used a china or effects cymbal in many years because I have a broken cymbal stack that sounds fantastic. And it's definitely in the spirit of reggae's early DIY.

I'll even take it a step further: get a little 20" bass drum, take the reso head off and jam a couch cushion into it. Get rid of your rack tom and replace it with an old snare drum with no head on the bottom (and no snares, obviously). Crank that sucker up and make it a believable timbale. You don't really need a floor tom, but if you must... Actually, ditto for the ride cymbal - it's optional, too.

I tend to use a ride cymbal when jamming with reggae groups, most of them like it. But good idea for the timbale sound.

Any reccomendations PFOG? your advice is always helpful.

If I'm ever in doubt, I roll with something reasonably "generic" sounding. A series Zildjians will fit the bill there. They'll work a treat. In fact, I can't think of a musical situation where they wouldn't work.

I have no experience with Sabian, but if Mike is suggesting AA's then I'd also make a trip to a store check 'em out (He knows a thing or two about drumming mate. I trust his knowledge.......you should too).

Apparently Carlton "Carly" Barrett was Bob Marley's drummer from 1969 until Marley's death in 1981. According to Wikipedia he used Ludwig drums; his choice of cymbals is unknown, but they were likely Zildjian's (as suggested by Mike and Pocket earlier). And no ride, only hats and crashes..

Amazing what you can find with Google in 5 minutes...

Dutch

If I'm ever in doubt, I roll with something reasonably "generic" sounding. A series Zildjians will fit the bill there. They'll work a treat. In fact, I can't think of a musical situation where they wouldn't work.

I have no experience with Sabian, but if Mike is suggesting AA's then I'd also make a trip to a store check 'em out (He knows a thing or two about drumming mate. I trust his knowledge.......you should too).

I trust him, i thanked him for his help with the suggestion of the AA's, didnt you notice that? As i stated previously, i dont like the A ride but i will look int the hats and crashes.Thanks

Apparently Carlton "Carly" Barrett was Bob Marley's drummer from 1969 until Marley's death in 1981. According to Wikipedia he used Ludwig drums; his choice of cymbals is unknown, but they were likely Zildjian's (as suggested by Mike and Pocket earlier). And no ride, only hats and crashes..

Amazing what you can find with Google in 5 minutes...

Dutch

Thanks, but as stated in the thread much earlier, i already know there isnt typically a ride however i use one. Amazing what a waste of time it is to get smart with someone...

Remember, those original cats were, shall we say, on a "budget" so if you show up with a bunch of shiny new gear (Tama Starclassics, say, and a bunch of new Sabians), you won't really be perceived to be very authentic.

I was thinking along those lines as well actually (thanks for cementing my idea), plus i only buy my cymbals used so i dont think ill have an issue there. I'm not changing my kit, i have two available that should work fine. I have an old 70's Ludwig with an 18" kick, 16" floor tom, 10" rack with no bottom, and a nice 13" poppy snare. My main kit is a ddrum with "standard" sizes, but i doubt ill use it much for this particular situation. I've found some very old looking A Zildjian hats and some AA's covered in age (ironic considering Sabian's age) and ive also looked into Meinl's Byzance Extra Dry range, are you familiar with those?

Last edited:
i dont like the A ride

What A ride don't you like? They make a bunch of them. Is it one in particular or all of them?

And you've just gotta chill a little my friend. You've had but three respondents to this thread and you've shat on two of them in some way, shape or form. You're asking a reasonably broad question, so you can't kick up if you're not getting answers as specific as you'd like. As there are no cymbals dedicated for reggae, it may take some time and numerous suggestions of what could possibly work, before you find the "holy grail." Besides....the journey is half the fun. Imagine how many cymbals you're gonna get to hit in the next few weeks. ;-)

Last edited:
Back