Best Bass Drum Pillow/Muffling Pad

I use the Evans EQPad in all my bass drums. Satisfied customer.

I use a folded queen size, black bedsheet in my kick. It also serves as a cover for the kit on back-to-back, 2 nighters.

If I were to buy something, it would be the Evans EQPad. (y)

I use the Evans one in my « main » bass drum, the other one gets a basic pillow wrapped in a soft small blanket.

It depends a bit on how much muffling I'm looking for. If I'm just looking to take a little bit of "boing" out of the drum I use a piece of foam mattress pad. If I want to have the thump of an actual pillow I use a basic Ikea pillow.

I'm really intrigued by the Sonitus muffler, but they don't currently have the right depth in stock anywhere I've looked.

I like Gibraltar felt strips... Oh that's not a pillow. Nevermind then.
I used to use a small, Ikea-style (not sure the origin) cushion pillow too. My drum is shallow (14 by 22) and I use a port hole for miking, so I ultimately felt the pillow was a bit too much dampening for it.

I use the Sonitus myself, just awesome. Started using a boundary mic lately (Behringer BA 19a, same concept as the Shure 91a), and it fits perfectly in the middle slot. Don't have to worry about a pillow wobbling around, etc.

I have the Evans Q pad plus a little towel, I'm wondering if the Sonitus would've better, who and tried Both?

I have the Evans Q pad plus a little towel, I'm wondering if the Sonitus would've better, who and tried Both?
1) you don't need anything as expensive as the Sonitus. 2) You don't want anything as inflexible as the Sonitus. 3) You don't want a static mic position, especially in the middle of the drum.

If you can get one for a good price, try it.

What I didn’t like about the Evans, is that it didn’t touch both heads, the mic option (it is flexible btw) at the Sonitus is another plus.

As you can see it works and not work for drummers here.

I love it (it came with my kit) and will try it first again, may I need a mute solution in the future.

They are quite marvelous.

I have lots of EQ pads and prefer the DW. Again, a basic bed pillow works perfectly well in most instances.
In the golden age of damped bass drums (1970's) no one sold a bass drum pillow, only felt strips and internal dampers.
Studio guys just shoved a bed pillow or blanket in there. It's good to have the ability to adjust the damping depending on the room or the music.

For me the Aquarian superkick batter and regulator reso are enough for my 18x22 but I also use a folded beach towel baaarely touching the batter and reso. Not the perfect jazz combo but I doubt Wynton Marsalis has me on his radar.

My choice would have been the KickPro or the Sonitus, because I am hesitant to use Velcro in my new maple bass drum.
Does anyone have bad experiences with removing Velcro from the bass drum? No glue residue or something else?

Don't use velcro or any sticky substance, just shove a cheap pillow in there.
Evans EQ or DW are fine if you want something with a brand name. The problem with the Sonitus is it is expensive and can't easily be adjusted.
Don't really understand why after buying 'budget' cymbals you are choosing the two most expensive kick damping options.

You can't compare expensive cymbal options with 30 to 50 euro bass drum damping options Chris...
Again those cymbals sounded fine to me, and to my wife and the storeowner...

Back