Bernard Purdie Interview / Rick Beato

I loves his xplain'g of the reverse tom setup when he played 4 drum roll we would go from left to right then back to the snare as 2 strokes each hand/drum top two down to the bottom two.

That was in a way comedy as he made a mockery of the question itself.
Makes perfect sense the way he xplain'd it. 🙂

Then later he did a regular roll left to right 12->10->14 and it sounded perfectly fine,

Making us fools thinking otherwise.
Toms left to right setup as 12>10>14. This is what I was asking in an earlier post. Is this common? Do many of you configure your kit as such? No biggie, just wondering.

Toms left to right setup as 12>10>14. This is what I was asking in an earlier post. Is this common? Do many of you configure your kit as such? No biggie, just wondering.

I dont, but some of my sets are just 1 up. Early days most all sets were. JDA's explanation of the 10 being a aux just to the right of the 12 does make sense. No all songs/bands/styles have/need multiple smaller upper toms, as used in the long fast rolls in Rush or Phil Collins stuff. When I play that stuff though on a 1 up, 2 down, I start at the edge of the 13, to the center, then the edge of the 16 to the center, then edge of the 18 then to the center, its like having 6 toms total. Hard on the back though as I get older.

I do. It works for me and it’s a smooth transition to a four piece if I want to reduce the load.

I have used it, but currently only have one tom up. A number of well known drummers use this type of set-up, though.

Along with BP, Kenny Aronoff and Mick Fleetwood come to mind.

could have been a Positioning thing Ed Shaughnessy
6a00e008dca1f0883401774330d285970d-500wi

with the later set here:

Last edited:
The first drummer I saw reversing his 10”&12” was Kenny Aronoff in the 80’s.

I played like that for twenty or more years until I switched to a four piece kit.

After playing that way for so long I would say that the 12” is my “go to” tom so it was right in front of me, the 10”, which was flavor, was off to the side and I would catch it for effect.

I’m not an “around the horn” drummer but if I did then I just skipped the 10” and went 12”14”,16”

D0E81928-2900-4772-A8A1-0223FD9E84BD.jpegF8239AEB-625C-475F-8837-4BC1CF185F40.jpeg

Plus, if you started/learning playing one up with traditional grip (jazz), you'd want you main bigger tom right in its original place. Not way off to the right.

The first drummer I saw reversing his 10”&12” was Kenny Aronoff in the 80’s.

I played like that for twenty or more years until I switched to a four piece kit.

After playing that way for so long I would say that the 12” is my “go to” tom so it was right in front of me, the 10”, which was flavor, was off to the side and I would catch it for effect.

I’m not an “around the horn” drummer but if I did then I just skipped the 10” and went 12”14”,16”

View attachment 119901View attachment 119902
That timpani is interesting. Please tell
about it!

That timpani is interesting. Please tell
about it!

I have two. They are vintage Sonor acrylic timpani, one in 24” and one in 22”

The tuning system is remarkable in that the tuning lugs are interlinked with a wire system so if you turn one lug, they all turn.

I would help some German drummers get their Vintage Ludwig drums to Germany and in return one very graciously sent these two beauties to me.

61CFEBAA-3746-4469-B6CC-5C2ABA965215.jpeg01456C28-5DA2-4178-90AC-348E3DE7FA15.jpegBA077BCB-75E7-4740-87F3-E3E08811D95C.jpeg732E7E20-F523-40E5-A341-EF8BAC4A6153.jpegC6C389F3-8611-4D34-895E-2AE2EF65A6EE.jpeg

Slowly working my way through the interview. Purdie is one of my drumming heroes and there's some snippets of gems in here.

Wanna get paid gigs be more purdie

If you're not a fan that's cool. Variety is the spice of life!

I have two. They are vintage Sonor acrylic timpani, one in 24” and one in 22”

The tuning system is remarkable in that the tuning lugs are interlinked with a wire system so if you turn one lug, they all turn.

I would help some German drummers get their Vintage Ludwig drums to Germany and in return one very graciously sent these two beauties to me.

View attachment 119909View attachment 119910View attachment 119911View attachment 119912View attachment 119913
Those are awesome. Remember seeing photos in a catalog but never knew anyone that had them. What a great portable set.

I think Bill Bruford reversed his mounted toms, at least in mid 70's Crimson. I transcribed his drum fills on one of his songs and they always went "Mid-High-Floor" in tone, which means he probably had them setup that way.

Okay, I finally had a chance to watch a bit of the interview. I enjoy Beato's over the top enthusiasm, and I like Purdie's evident joy when it comes to all things drumming.

However, I found the interview very painful to watch. Purdie's inability to express himself about the simplest of topics - the hi hat clutch, for example - was sad to me. I didn't watch very much of it. I'll just listen to him play, and think about his happy smile, instead. 😊

I think Bill Bruford reversed his mounted toms, at least in mid 70's Crimson. I transcribed his drum fills on one of his songs and they always went "Mid-High-Floor" in tone, which means he probably had them setup that way.
Thanks for sharing - this is what I what I wanted to know. Now I wonder how many of "us" are setup as such?
Again, thanks. . .

Here are his set- ups through the years:

He only has to strike the hats to get my attention...In a way he fills the gap left by Porcaro. For me their the only two drummers that interest me, Porcaros gone and we're left with Purdy....thats fine by me even tho I can only listen to his bluster in chunks...he is what he is.

I have a DVD of the Allman Brothers where both Jaimo & Butch have their toms set like that. Jim Keltner was the first guy I saw do it.

As far as Purdue goes it is weird to hear him so tongue tied - he usually expresses himself just fine. Still sounds great though.

:)

Back