Benny Greb's Signature Brass Snare DEMO

IBitePrettyHard

Benny has a knack for making great sounding snares. To me it sounds articulate and throaty and very dry, (even with the muffling turned off). I can see it being too dry for some, but I think it sounds amazing.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure this snare needs all that muffling. It's dry to begin with. Not 1, but 2 mufflers. I guess it's a great option to have, but maybe a little excessive?

All the crack of a 14", but being that it's 13" it has slightly less volume, which makes it great for jazzier applications. It's hard to get crack at lower volumes, yet Benny appears to have done it.

If only this snare wasn't so expensive. What about the rest of us Benny? :D:p You're a genius, can't you make a budget version? Make us a $300-400 snare that sounds great. C'mon Benny!

EDIT 3/5/20: And here's the new Benny Greb Beech Signature snare...

Last edited:

Treverer

If they didn't mess with the sound afterwards or used some extremely coloring microphones, this might be the best sounding snare drum I've ever heard.

EricT43

If they didn't mess with the sound afterwards or used some extremely coloring microphones, this might be the best sounding snare drum I've ever heard.
I don't think Memphis Drum Shop does much editing or processing. Their audio seems fairly dry and uncolored to me. Great-sounding drum.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Yeah, boy, that's a dry snare for sure!

Sadly, I don't hear any brassy character from the drum, and I'm not sure I'm really hearing much from the shell at all, just head and wires.

RickP

Gold Member
I will stick with my original Benny Greb snare For now . I do plan to try both of the new snares when they arrive at my local shops . I can’t foresee myself buying either . I am happy with the Sonor snares I own now .

Treverer

Yeah, boy, that's a dry snare for sure!

Sadly, I don't hear any brassy character from the drum, and I'm not sure I'm really hearing much from the shell at all, just head and wires.
Have you listened to the higher tunings as well? I think the shell produces a nice ring without any shrill overtones that get in the way.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Have you listened to the higher tunings as well? I think the shell produces a nice ring without any shrill overtones that get in the way.
I did, and even in the higher tunings I barely hear any metallic ring at all. It sounds like a brass snare for people that don't like brass snares. There's nothing wrong with that, I suppose, I just like a snare that's capable of giving more character and more shell tone.