Beginner drummer has questions.

unkhunter

Hello! New member! With tons of new member questions to boot!

I'm fifty-four and have been playing guitar since I was thirteen. All rock and roll of every sub genre. I have always wanted to drum so I am diving in. I ordered a practice pad and sticks and have been looking up videos on rudiments and whatnot. I am not ready to buy a kit. Can anyone suggest some sort of reasonable facsimile I can use at home for learning beats once I have my hands around a few rudiments?
Also, any learning materials you may suggest would be appreciated too.
Thanks a bunch! I am super excited about this new endeavor.

Welcome! You could purchase this DW practice pad "kit" for practiing beats. You'll also need a pedal and a throne or stool if you don't already have something that will sit you at the appropriate height. You may also be able to find one used on Craigslist or eBay, so I'd definitely start there.

As for learning materials, if you can already read music, then George Lawrence Stone's Stick Control is a great tool for gaining dexterity and limb independence.

Welcome! You could purchase this DW practice pad "kit" for practiing beats. You'll also need a pedal and a throne or stool if you don't already have something that will sit you at the appropriate height. You may also be able to find one used on Craigslist or eBay, so I'd definitely start there.

As for learning materials, if you can already read music, then George Lawrence Stone's Stick Control is a great tool.

Oooooohhhh!! That looks tasty!! Thank you!

I'm a beginner as well so take my advice for what's it's worth.

Most will recommend lessons and I agree if you can afford it. If not, try starting with Tommy Igoe Great Hands for a Lifetime DVD. I'm going through it now and love it. This will give you plenty of stuff to work on with your practice pad. There are other DVDs people recommend but this is the one I went with and have not been disappointed.

I'm a beginner as well so take my advice for what's it's worth.

Most will recommend lessons and I agree if you can afford it. If not, try starting with Tommy Igoe Great Hands for a Lifetime DVD. I'm going through it now and love it. This will give you plenty of stuff to work on with your practice pad. There are other DVDs people recommend but this is the one I went with and have not been disappointed.

Hey thank you! I do have a friend who's a really good drummer AND teacher and I'll be getting lessons from him down the road. I want to make sure and get rudiments together first and he's always there for advice as well.

Hi... Long time bass player, very recent drummer here. Just got my first real kit and I am really enjoying learning how it all fits in the music.

I'll be watching here and hoping to learn with you, if that's okay.

you should definitely check out bill Bachman's book called Rudimental Logic. It has many great exercises for learning and using the rudiments to develop chops.

the Stone Stick Control book mentioned above is the Bible of drumming in a way

Hey thank you! I do have a friend who's a really good drummer AND teacher and I'll be getting lessons from him down the road. I want to make sure and get rudiments together first and he's always there for advice as well.
If your friend has nice and relaxed hands I’d get with him sooner rather than later to avoid having to untrain bad habits.

Back