Bearing edge damage on Supraphonic

gutzee

Hey fellas, I just bought a 6.5 chrome 402 supraphonic on ebay. Once it arrived I flipped it over to the snare side and noticed damage on the bearing edge. About 1mm divot with a tiny knobby piece about 1mm right exactly on the edge of the bearing edge. This can be felt thru the skin. Otherwise the drum is beautiful, great cosmetically.

Would you guys recommend that I file away this damage, ever so carefully of course? Anyone have experience with this?

If you plan on holding on to this snare, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a 1970s Supra 400 with a similar issue (ding on the snare side bearing edge). I accidently knocked it over when I was changing heads. Knowing what it sounded like before hand, I can honestly say it had no affect at all in the drum's sound. Now if you're worried about resale value and you just bought it, any decent E-bayer would consider refunding you your money especially if this issue, albeit minor, was not disclosed.

I like to tune the snare side head to an A pitch. Im worried this will give me problems. Especially in that area of the skin.

I think you'll be fine... My '68 Supra has pitting on the bearing edge in a few spots... and it tunes up and sounds great regardless.

Why don't you just try tuning the snare first? You might not have any problems whatsoever...

Yep! I was able to get it pitch perfect. The nic must be small enough to be insignificant.

I use emperor on the batter side, ambassador medium on snare side...

I also ordered a puresound 20 strand snare wire and also a 16 strand... Ive heard great reviews on the 16 strand... Anyone use the 16?

Back