Bass drum “sweet spot”

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
What depth would you consider the “sweet spot” for a 22” bass drum? Many have said 14” seems to be the perfect balance of boom and punch.
Others say it’s 16”.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
What depth would you consider the “sweet spot” for a bass drum? Many have said 14” seems to be the perfect balance of boom and punch.
Others say it’s 16”.
Thoughts?
med tight 22" is my go to

med tight 22" is my go to
22" deep???

I currently have a 14x18 and a 16x24. I've had many other bass drums through the years, all of them at the old standard 14 inch depth except for one converted marching drum which was 10x26. I've also played a bunch of different bass drums with depths from 17 to 20.

I think the sweet spot is still in that 14-16" range for depth. I was a bit worried about ordering the 16" depth on my Ludwig Classic Maple, but with the 24" diameter it has proven to be a good choice.

Of course, it all depends on what you want and on the individual drum. I recently saw a video where a guy cut down a 20" deep (IIRC) bass drum to 14" for a client, and recorded before and after. In that particular recording, I actually preferred the deeper drum, so I guess there are no absolutes.

22" deep???

I currently have a 14x18 and a 16x24. I've had many other bass drums through the years, all of them at the old standard 14 inch depth except for one converted marching drum which was 10x26. I've also played a bunch of different bass drums with depths from 17 to 20.

I think the sweet spot is still in that 14-16" range for depth. I was a bit worried about ordering the 16" depth on my Ludwig Classic Maple, but with the 24" diameter it has proven to be a good choice.

Of course, it all depends on what you want and on the individual drum. I recently saw a video where a guy cut down a 20" deep (IIRC) bass drum to 14" for a client, and recorded before and after. In that particular recording, I actually preferred the deeper drum, so I guess there are no absolutes.
I missed the depth part in the first message lol

I'll take the 14" to 16" depth for a thousand Alex

On another note, how do we quantify the sweet spot? It could be just opinion
It's most definitely opinion. I think the only way to quantify it is to see if most people's opinion is that 14 or 16 is the sweet spot, lol.

Also, the drum diameter is variable. In other words, If I say 16" is the best I only mean that for a 22. I like the 20 x 14 but I'm not sure if I would pick a 20 x 16.

So it's a moving target

I prefer a 22x16, but I have a 22x18. I do not want a 16 inch depth enough to get it cut down. Peace and goodwill.

I have a Sonor 17 deep thats my sweet spot you can get a sweet spot from. 14 to 18 its just how ya tune it to your ears desire.

Last edited:
I had the new version of the Yamaha Tour Customs.
I thought the 20x15 was the ideal middle ground when it came to looks and portability.

For sound it depends on if your ideal is more punch (shallower), or more boom (deeper).

20 is my sweet spot…when I’m playing EDM with no mic on the kick ;) Otherwise I’m doing really well with 16. I could do with 14 but 16 is two better, innit?

I'm all over the place with bass drums. From 16" to 26" diameter, 14" to 18" depths. I regulate punch/boom with head choices. And while 24x14 and 26x14 are more apt to boom ...... I've got two 22x18 kicks that come close, if you open them up.

Are you talking about a sweet spot provided the drum is double headed with no port? Or a ported front head? Muffled or Unmuffled? PowerStroke type head or regular single ply ambassadors?

With all the variations one could come up with for any given size, the sweet spot will be different. And then what is the sweet spot for? For the best sound? For the best mic’d up sound? For jazz? For rock? What is the sweet spot suppose to be defining?

Are you talking about a sweet spot provided the drum is double headed with no port? Or a ported front head? Muffled or Unmuffled? PowerStroke type head or regular single ply ambassadors?

With all the variations one could come up with for any given size, the sweet spot will be different. And then what is the sweet spot for? For the best sound? For the best mic’d up sound? For jazz? For rock? What is the sweet spot suppose to be defining?
Sweetness, of course! Way to get all caught up in the minutiae ;)

14" .

I'm very dogmatic about that, lol. :D

20x14, 22x14, 24x14...

I don't think any of my favourite drum sounds use anything else (although I could be mistaken)

Back