Back to 5 piece

Captain Bash

Silver Member
I have been playing a four piece configured one up one down for a decade. Never really cared for using both 12 and 13 toms together as they are tonally too close. But by chance a Yamaha MCAN single 10 “ tom came up on eBay with hardcase that matches my existing gear. So set the kit up at band rehearsal 12, 10, 16 and wow what fun. I can see this working for gigs as the extra tom isn’t much of a burden in terms of set up tear down.

I guess it’s time I went back to the future.

yammyfan

I'll bet those MCANs sound great! What sort of heads do you prefer for them?

Like you, I've done a lot of playing on four piece kits but recently went back to five pieces for live work. It's great when you get the intervals between the toms just right, which it sounds like you have done.

Enjoy!

Captain Bash

Silver Member
I'll bet those MCANs sound great! What sort of heads do you prefer for them?

Like you, I've done a lot of playing on four piece kits but recently went back to five pieces for live work. It's great when you get the intervals between the toms just right, which it sounds like you have done.

Enjoy!
Hi I like Evans UV1 s on top with G1 clear below, I dampen the 16 a little but leave 10, 12 open. I tune both top and bottom pretty much the same ( bottom a fraction higher).

AzHeat

Platinum Member
My first set was a 5 piece, then 9, 6 and 7 respectively. When I was playing around with arrangements, I found the 14,10,8,12,16 to be huge fun. So many options with things broken up. I used to play quads and quints back in the day, so it was pretty familiar for the most part. Current set is a 5pc 1U/2D. While I totally get the 4pc setup now, I couldn't wrap my brain around it before. Still really like to have the 3rd tom. Even with some of the 80s rock stuff with massively long round the house fills, I can make it happen on three, where I really struggled with two. Been debating a lot on getting a 10" tom again. It'd be an expense, since my color is custom and not many other sets out there. (I've only ever seen one other and I thought that was my queue to play the lottery!) Anyway, if I did get the 10, I'd likely break the configuration up again. It was really good practice for switching from RH lead to LH lead too.

Great find and enjoy.