Back in the saddle?

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
The last band I was a part of was an 8 piece horn band and played relentlessly for 10 years. I've been dormant forever now. Well? I ran into the areas premier blues vocalist at Hy-vee last night. He mentioned getting together next Saturday night with none other than the bass player of the horn band I'd spent a decade with as well as some hefty local musicians and another drummer. I'm actually thinking about going over and diving in the water but you don't be as inactive as I've been and have it as if you'd never left. I'm Leary of having people think I've lost it..but maybe not?. It's just a blues jam. Anyone been in this position and what was your experience?. Another thing..is my ticker ready for this?..you don't get to be 22 forever and drumming is hugely cardio. Hmm? do I go over and look at myself in life's musical mirror and see if I like what I see?. Anyone EVER done this and walked away thinking you shouldn't have?. I'm actually a bit nervous as low key as the get together will be. Your experience?.

Absolutely show up and jam. They will most likely be happy you’re back in the fold rather than you’ve lost it.

I took a near half-decade off from drums completely and just recently began gigging again four months back. I went from 4-8 gigs per week to none overnight. It was due to back issues which have been painfully improved.

The time off was nice and having nights free with the kiddo was the best, so I ain’t sore about it.

My chops aren’t back where I left them, but nobody seems to mind and I’m steadily improving. I still played bass, mandolin, banjo, and guitar for my own sanity and enjoyment during the five year hitting-stuff hiatus.

Another thing..is my ticker ready for this?..you don't get to be 22 forever and drumming is hugely cardio.
Your ticker likes cardio. At least that's what my doctor keeps telling me. She hasnt been wrong yet lol.

I once took a 10-year hiatus from drumming (2000-2010.) I was just fried after 23 years of full time gigging and very little money. Once the bug came back, I half heartedly agreed to replace a local drummer for a few gigs. I was incredibly nervous about whether I was still in enough shape for 3 one hour sets. I didn't want to embarrass myself. But I was able to sail right through it like it was nothing. Such relief.

You can do it!
I was fried to David. The bug may not be fully back but it's knocking politely. Embarrassing myself is a part of the equation but it's hopefully like riding a bike. I'm a non technical drummer so my chops not being there isn't an issue..its all feel and you just respond. If I do hang with the gang my thoughts will be and have always been to drive the tune without bringing attention to myself (in a bad way) but still letting everyone know that it's show time. 😃.

I took 5 years off from any playing at all. Was invited to jam with some folks and boy was I nervous! While I was setting up, I casually dropped "Ya know, it's been a while... I hope I remember which end of the stick to hold?" That got some laughs and as soon as we started noodling around the nerves went away and it was a blast! I hope you do this - I am 99.997% sure you'll have fun !!

I had a long break from playing out as well. My worst enemy when I got back out there was self-doubt/criticism. That faded to a less destructive level as my calendar filled up.

You have an ally with the bass player connection. Blow the cobwebs off, and have fun!

Last edited:
I've been off for about 3 years now. Scene here is deader than Disco.
I'm not exactly in the musical capital of the world either 😢. I remember back in the day where on any given saturday night you could see half a dozen bands around town. deader than Disco gave me a laugh. God I remember those days to but I secretly dug the Bee Gees.

I'm not exactly in the musical capital of the world either 😢. I remember back in the day where on any given saturday night you could see half a dozen bands around town. deader than Disco gave me a laugh. God I remember those days to but I secretly dug the Bee Gees.
Yeah, the BeeGees were cool. Lots of good funk music came from that era.

Your experience?
I had nothing to lose except some time. It was fun and, for me, I cared less about the music and more about who I was hanging with. At one of the last jams I attended, one of the guitarists went off on a political rant after the second jam tune, wasting time, huffing and puffing and pulling the attention off the music and fun we were having. I knew he wasn't gonna be a good hang for me. But I met a cool bassist and we agreed to tool around in the future.

If you're not confident you can pull it off, don't do it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Jamming or one stint gig (with a few practices) I’m interested. Weekly rehearsals and gigging I don’t want to do anymore. It has nothing to do with money- I’d do one stint for free. I’ve never considered myself a musician but I think I’m better now than when I was gigging regularly. But I’m not about trying to prove it.

I've wanted to do Disco Inferno for a good while now.
The Trammps! Loved that song back in the day. I had the - wait for it - 45.

Bozozoid, I say do it. Even if the ticker can't take it, you'll go out doing something you love. 😉 Seriously, though, go and have fun.

Back