audio interface for e-drums kit

adrian_27

Hi,

I just bought an Roland HD-3 e-drum kit and an MIDI-to-USB converted that I connect directly to my Macbook, in order to record the drums in a DAW, however it looks like there is around 15ms delay when playing the drums and listening with headphones connected to the laptop.

I understand that I can reduce the delay by lowering the buffer size of the built-in audio interface, however this does not help since in this case the sound would be interrupted frequently.

So, I am wondering if anybody could recommend me an external audio interface that would help reducing this delay.

Thanks and best regards,
Adrian

I use a Zoom R16 with my mac and it works perfectly.....but I record via instrument cable to the interface, then USB to the Mac.

Welcome to the forum!

Just so I am clear:

Are you experiencing input latency with your MIDI-USB interface, or output latency with your Macbook's built in audio?

If it is the latter, which year/model Macbook are you using? What build of OS X are you using? What are your current buffer and sample rate settings when you experience latency/dropouts? Which DAW are you using?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! You mean you record via MIDI cable between drums module to the interface, and then USB to the Mac?

Adrian

No. I believe he sends an analog audio output from the drum module to the R16, and the R16 outputs PCM over USB to the DAW.

Are you experiencing input latency with your MIDI-USB interface, or output latency with your Macbook's built in audio?

If it is the latter, which year/model Macbook are you using? What build of OS X are you using? What are your current buffer and sample rate settings when you experience latency/dropouts? Which DAW are you using?

Thank you for your reply!

I have a MacBook Pro mid 2009, with a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. I have installed OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks. I have Cubase LE AI Elements 7 and Addictive Drums 2 as well. The built in macbook audio interface is configured with 256 samples, which gives an input latency of 14.467ms, and an output latency of 15.397ms.

I think I am experiencing both input and output latencies!!

Whatever hard I try, my drums recording needs to be quantized in Cubase in order to be right on the beat, otherwise I have couple of ms delay.

Then while recording, I have my headphones connected to the Macbook's output, and I also hear the drums with a delay, which is quite disturbing.

I have tried to lower the number of buffer samples to 128, and in this case the input / output latency are lower, but not low enough I would say. Furthermore, with 128 buffer samples, the sound is interrupting every now and then....

Adrian

Re: Input

Most modern MIDI->USB interfaces have sub 5ms latencies. If you're using an older interface, consider a newer one. I've seen the Roland kits work well with Roland UM-One (MKII) interfaces. Also make certain that you don't have many other USB devices plugged into the same controller (mouse, thumb drive, wireless adapter) competing with the interface.

For output latency:
1: Make certain that you're plugged into AC (not on battery).
2: I'm not sure if that model/OS have an ASIO-equivlent driver for the audio chip. See if others are experiencing issues. See if the issue exists with Garageband.
3: You 'might' be able to reduce the playback sample rate so that you can use fewer buffers.
4: Disable "AirPort"
I hope others have suggestions as well.

Last edited:
Re: Input

Most modern MIDI->USB interfaces have sub 5ms latencies. If you're using an older interface, consider a newer one. I've seen the Roland kits work well with Roland UM-One (MKII) interfaces. Also make certain that you don't have many other USB devices plugged into the same controller (mouse, thumb drive, wireless adapter) competing with the interface.

For output latency:
1: Make certain that you're plugged into AC (not on battery).
2: I'm not sure if that model/OS have an ASIO-equivlent driver for the audio chip. See if others are experiencing issues. See if the issue exists with Garageband.
3: You 'might' be able to reduce the playback sample rate so that you can use fewer buffers.
4: Disable "AirPort"
I hope others have suggestions as well.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

So far I was not thinking that the MIDI-USB converter might introduce latency as well, since the vendor does not mention that in the converter's specs... I am using an M-Audio USB Uno converter, and obviously M-Audio does not specify any latency...

What about an external audio interface, where I can connect directly from my drum module with an MIDI cable? I read that this might help reducing the latency as well, however there are so many audio interfaces available... I am thinking to pick one that somebody has already tested and can recommend it...

Adrian

From Amazon:

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
1BEWARE - USB Uno does not work with unibody Macbook Pros!
ByDonTheMagicWandon February 7, 2010
I bought one of these from a local retailer. Got it home, followed the install directions for the latest Mac OSX 10.6.2 drivers and fired up Audio Midi Setup panel. It showed the Midisport Uno just fine in the panel. However, when I connected it to both a 25 key controller and a Yamaha DTXpress II drum brain, nothing would happen. I downloaded midimonitor (freeware) and it was monitoring midi just fine as well as the LED's on the Uno would light. However, I could not get it to transfer midi to any of my programs (Garageband, EZdrummer, etc). After some research I saw where some kits were defective so I took it back and got a new one - same problem!! After even more research it appears there is a known issue with the Macbook and Macbook Pro unibody machines not playing nice with this specific Uno hardware. And yes I verified with M-audio that this was supposed to be the newest revision. Even their tech support finally emailed back and admitted the incompatibility (7 days later). I'm done with M-audio and their cheap CRAP! Edirol's a bit pricier but is a more trusted brand...
CommentWas this review helpful to you?
and
1Works good when it connects. Kind of finicky at times.
ByJustinon September 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
Expensive. Can be finicky at times while communicating with Macbook Pro. I haven't tried it since updating from Lion to Mavericks so I'm going to take other people's word that it doesn't work in that operating system now. Great.

I've had bad M-Audio experiences in the past too with AV-30 S Studiophile monitors blowing fuses and breaking after two years. Think it's best to avoid the brand altogether from now on.

Honestly, it might be worth trying out one of those $4 USB-to-midi generic equivalents sold here on Amazon first.
CommentWas this review helpful to you?

I don't know if this helps you with your decision though.

No. I believe he sends an analog audio output from the drum module to the R16, and the R16 outputs PCM over USB to the DAW.

Correct, thanks.

When I first tried recording, I experienced latency with another recording program....Sonar?? I listened to the recording and thought, "Damn, I really really suck at drumming". I was relieved when I finally realized that it was a technical issue

When I went to Mac's Garage band, it went away. A couple times (in 3 years) it appears but I just reboot the program and it's all good again.

I know nothing about the technical end but I read it had something to do with the bit rate......which means nothing to me

Back