Asking for your opinion

Walden

Hello, I would like to ask which kit would be the best bang for my bucks.
It's between a 80's Pearl Master Studio 4p , a 00's Tama 4p Swingstar and a 80's Rogers 3p xp8 with Pearl hoop for the ft. They are all around 400-450 dollars.

Thanks!

pearl1.jpgtama1.jpg
2800001253966_1_l.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: iCe
Out of those 3 kits my opinion would be go for the 80s Rogers kit xp8 great sounding kit what finish is the Rogers kit? good luck on your decision Cheers.

It's hard to see without pics. I'm partial to Pearl, but if the state of the kit is bad the others might be a better choice. Swingstars are intermediate if I'm correct, but again depends on the state of the others.

Condition, drum sizes, and finish all make way too much of an impact on value and desirability to give much of an opinion without those details.

Without more info, Pearl. That price seems pretty low for a Pearl Masters Studio. That said, I'd have to take a look at the Rogers.

Condition would play a big part in my decision between the two. Then again Pearl would get the win if they were close.

Too many variable to consider really. Tom sizes might play a part...

I think those Rogers have the thicker shells, they're not the same drums from the 60/70s.

I'd go with the Pearl.

The only opinion that really matters is yours, but since you asked, I'd take The Rogers set.

They are American-made pro grade drums. Enough said.

The only thing I'd do is cut down that long telephone pole holding the rack tom. That's overkill if I ever saw it.

The only opinion that really matters is yours, but since you asked, I'd take The Rogers set.

The only thing I'd do is cut down that long telephone pole holding the rack tom. That's overkill if I ever saw it.
I am quite new to the drum world, that is why I am asking. Thanks !

That’s a receiver tube built into the bass drum. It’s made that way. I don’t think the Memriloc holder is heavy enough to hold the tom arm straight up and down on its own.

That’s a receiver tube built into the bass drum. It’s made that way. I don’t think the Memriloc holder is heavy enough to hold the tom arm straight up and down on its own.
I'm sure you know more about it than I do. It just looks massively unnecessary.

I'm sure you know more about it than I do. It just looks massively unnecessary.
Back then everyone mounted everything on the bass drum so having some kind of support made sense - especially if the shells were thin. Rogers pole was ingenious because it acted as a receiver for the tom mount downtube. When you look at the Memriloc mount, there was a bit of stress put on that tiny Memriloc on the tube. The receiver tube in the bass drum helped to stabilize the whole contraption.

The Pearl is nice but if those are the deep 'power' tom sizes, then a dealbreaker for me.
I'd pick the Rogers, lose that pole and put the tom in a snare stand.

Hello, I would like to ask which kit would be the best bang for my bucks.
It's between a 80's Pearl Master Studio 4p , a 00's Tama 4p Swingstar and a 80's Rogers 3p xp8 with Pearl hoop for the ft. They are all around 400-450 dollars.
Of the 3 pictured ...... the Rogers for me. I like traditional sizes. If you can live with or want power toms ...... then I'd say go with the Pearl.

The Tama is definitely entry level, I wouldn’t consider it as an option.
I would personally hesitate between Pearl and Rogers. Rogers for thé collector aspect, Pearl for the workhorse/reliability aspect.

Back