Are you still happy?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
All of this surely takes a mental toll even when somethings have turned out good. I think a reset is often good to find balance-and it's easy to get out of balance. I did that in 2000 when I quit research for Mr. Mom for 8 years-I turned into a human being during that time. So that seems a silver lining. Still we are social creatures-even I who tends to be a hermit really loves to get out and socialize. Though I like being alone when I get around people I come to life and really enjoy it. I'm an affable fella and have an animated communication style (people tell me) so I can talk to about anyone. I've gotten to see immediate family which has been a saving grace, but I hug my friends (we are all getting old it could be the last time I see some)-and not being able to do so is getting old. But there is over 7.5 billion people on earth and how long will it take to vaccinate them to eradicate this virus?

I absolutely agree with your reset comment. I call it a reality check as well...sometimes people need a "bump" to get a new perspective. I think too many people feel like they should just always get what they want. That they should not have to sacrifice or make adjustments. I would HATE to see what this current culture/society would do in a true war situation like WWII...where people had to actually stop "living" to survive the war...I really don't think this culture could do that

Sadly, this pandemic has not "bumped" enough people like it really should have, hence the current situation.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
same here...never got into that, or smoking, or drugs. I saw what all of that was doing to people I knew and wanted no part of it!!

Still don't.
I tried alcohol early and didn't like it much-I became a drinker later on to mellow out "other substances". But when I was 16 one of my friends big sister came home from college and she "turned us on". At that time I was a strapping, muscular redneck with short hair-a big dumb kid. I had no idea I was lighting a fuse to a rocket (and a couple of years later I'm a toothpick with long hair). It changed the whole flavor of sports at our high school-seemed everyone "turned on" in early 70s. I've only met a handful of people my whole life who never tried a smoke or drink. I envy you.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I've quit all sorts of addictions-tobacco was one of the first, then #,$,%,&,*.@,!, etc (you name it -my dad being a physician I had access as well as other sources -as well I took to chemistry early -Captain Marvel was a superhero). I quit drinking completely for a good 5-6 years but now take a drink on occasion-honestly I don't enjoy it like I did. I guess that's good. There is only one constant I started at 16-a substance you smoke and I can't talk about (though legal in many states now wink, wink). It really has been medicinal-I use to not sleep and my mind jumping all the time, and was very uptight, fidgeting, quickly get aggressive. Smoking clears my mind-sleep better, I can focus better, and I'm not an aggressive asshole. I've struggled with the moral/legal issue (always hid from kids-in fact they only discovered in recent years now they are grown) but I don't take any other medication-and this has worked better than neuropharmacological substances I was prescribed when I tried that route. It's thousands of years use seems a better record than the recent man-made ones LOL. Still I've seen it as a crutch (and ashamed of my weakness), and like most, when you get better you think"I don't need this medication anymore" so I've tried quitting numerous times. Yeah it's crazy but that's the sum of it-at least once a day-usually evening-and my brain resets.
You are not alone Art.

My wife has a card. She is bipolar amongst other things. Lithium and Latuda keep her from killing herself but turn her into a zombie. Smoking makes her a person with normal feelings. Being able to legally get something that really helps her is a godsend.

I'm not so lucky. It almost always triggers my anxiety. I have to be fully involved in something mentally for it to not bother me. It does help with sleep though. I'm not looking for a good time either, just a feeling of normalcy that I dont regularly get.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I tried alcohol early and didn't like it much-I became a drinker later on to mellow out "other substances". But when I was 16 one of my friends big sister came home from college and she "turned us on". At that time I was a strapping, muscular redneck with short hair-a big dumb kid. I had no idea I was lighting a fuse to a rocket (and a couple of years later I'm a toothpick with long hair). It changed the whole flavor of sports at our high school-seemed everyone "turned on" in early 70s. I've only met a handful of people my whole life who never tried a smoke or drink. I envy you.

I definitely had my opportunities having grown up in the metal and punk scene in the early 80's. I actually got offered both pot and booze for the first time at campouts in Boy Scouts believe it or not...and I had a few friends whose parents were in MC Clubs where the houses were party centers basically. Those places are where I saw stuff that I did not want to get into...fights, overdosing...lots of negativity. Lots of wasted time and money.

also, in 1981, I got turned onto the Straight Edge scene thanks to Minor Threat, and saw that you could still have a crazy time, but not get all addicted to negative stuff.

Bozozoid

Silver Member
On this subject I definitely have problems conveying my thoughts with any degree of adequacy. I don't like the masks. I wear them at the grocery store just to not look like I'm anti..guy. Underneath my breath I'm going I don't want to be like these people. Around the sick or elderly...YES...its good practice. This is real but other people who speak intelligently with a high degree of knowledge on this very subject seem to tell it all for me. Steve Deace is one. He just made me realize some facts that you won't get from mass media. I could go on and on.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Captain Marvel was a superhero [can you further explain this ???]
There is only one constant I started at 16-a substance you smoke and I can't talk about (though legal in many states now wink, wink). It really has been medicinal-I use to not sleep and my mind jumping all the time, and was very uptight, fidgeting, quickly get aggressive. Smoking clears my mind-sleep better, I can focus better, and I'm not an aggressive asshole. I've struggled with the moral/legal issue (always hid from kids-in fact they only discovered in recent years now they are grown) but I don't take any other medication-and this has worked better than neuropharmacological substances I was prescribed when I tried that route. It's thousands of years use seems a better record than the recent man-made ones LOL.
My dad had 7+ hour open heart triple bypass surgery (plus a valve repair) a week ago, he has healed well but the post op care nearly killed him with Rx medications prescribed by the surgeon without consulting the PCP. With no thyroid gland since the age of 16 (removed b/c of cancer, which was caused by radiation treatment to remove some 'congestion' when he was 1 day old in 1941), the surgeon in 1957 also damaged his vocal chords which left him permanently with almost no voice ), his body doesn't process any medicine like 99.9999% of the population. And I've witnessed Rx's nearly put him in his grave on several other occasions. Same for my father in law who was misprescribed numerous Rx's before he died years ago. Not saying that they were trying to do harm, but too many unknowns about these new 'wonder drugs' whose ads inundate the population nonstop. Big pharma is HUGE $$$, but they're not getting any of mine unless i'm unconscious and no say in the matter. Too late for many the FDA will recall some drug that millions had taken, only to discover it was killing them from some side effect.

So I have not had any Rx in my body in about 15 years, and avoid even common OTC things like ibuprofen or aspirin and prefer to live with some constant pain (you can call me Arthur, Arthur Itis).

Still like to sip some bourbon from time to time (my drumming gets so much better after a couple of stiff ones haha), but to your point thc safely offers temporary relief from pain with the additional benefits you mention above. Moral issue to me is that unless doing so makes one an 'aggressive a-hole' this is really a personal choice. Since it has the opposite effect, it sounds more morally right than not. Legally, IMO it would have been legalized many years ago if Uncle Sam had figured out a way to tax/control it sooner regardless of the religious right/moral majority bs.

Unlike alcohol which can control and has destroyed many a family, there's a reason Native Americans smoke[d] it from a ☮ pipe.

Peace bro.

Last edited:

someguy01

Gold Member
Legally, IMO it would have been legalized many years ago if Uncle Sam had figured out a way to tax/control it sooner regardless of the religious right/moral majority bs.
That was never the issue. Originally the DuPont's pressured the feds into making marijuana illegal as they didn't want hemp production to cut in to their massive profits from timber produced paper. Then it was classified as a schedule 1 drug in order to put minorities and broke ass white people in jail. Lastly, the pharmaceutical industry has lobbied hard and long to make sure the feds keep it illegal so as not to cut into their massive profit margin. I also take no pills. I prefer a nice CBD tincture to take care of the nerve pain I deal with daily not the rebranded heroin in pill form.
As for taxes: the recreational sales here are subject to @ 33% tax, depending on the municipality. CO has made, literally, billions in tax revenue from weed.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Those two things do not belong together.
I would take anything he says with big dose of skepticism.
I've never heard of him so can't really speak about Steve Deace, however I agree about skepticism. I'll take it a step further and say I take anything ANYONE with a 'voice' (TV, radio/internet following, etc.) says with a big dose. Especially the talking heads on the 'news'.

On this subject I definitely have problems conveying my thoughts with any degree of adequacy. I don't like the masks. I wear them at the grocery store just to not look like I'm anti..guy. Underneath my breath I'm going I don't want to be like these people. Around the sick or elderly...YES...its good practice. This is real but other people who speak intelligently with a high degree of knowledge on this very subject seem to tell it all for me. Steve Deace is one. He just made me realize some facts that you won't get from mass media. I could go on and on.
I believe individually we are all obligated to make ourselves well informed of all the facts, not just what one or two sources convey. My wife has me listen to all kinds of different people presenting information from different perspectives than the major media outlets (which seem to all be in alignment now).

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Those two things do not belong together.
I would take anything he says with big dose of skepticism.
?????????????????*

*The like function does not allow enough likes for this reply

So I have not had any Rx in my body in about 15 years, and avoid even common OTC things like ibuprofen or aspirin and prefer to live with some constant pain (you can call me Arthur, Arthur Itis).
I also take no pills.
Same here with one exception, only Excedrin Migraine, and only if I have a headache. In a year I maybe take a total of 4. Otherwise I absolutely hate pills. I cant handle bad headaches very well.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
That was never the issue. Originally the DuPont's pressured the feds into making marijuana illegal as they didn't want hemp production to cut in to their massive profits from timber produced paper. Then it was classified as a schedule 1 drug in order to put minorities and broke ass white people in jail. Lastly, the pharmaceutical industry has lobbied hard and long to make sure the feds keep it illegal so as not to cut into their massive profit margin. I also take no pills. I prefer a nice CBD tincture to take care of the nerve pain I deal with daily not the rebranded heroin in pill form.
As for taxes: the recreational sales here are subject to @ 33% tax, depending on the municipality. CO has made, literally, billions in tax revenue from weed.
Thanks for the history lesson haha. I have never really looked into it, just figured it had to be about the money.

The quickest way to get Big Pharma/Tech/Corp. out of controlling everything: eliminate lobbyists (not necessarily kill them, just make lobbying illegal haha). As long as we have legalized bribery of lawmakers on behalf of the major corporations they will continue to control everything more and more. Small business now see this more than ever. Sigh...

KamaK

Platinum Member
This period of time that called “new normal” where a face mask is a must, maintaining social distancing and many more just to keep yourself protected. This really gives me a depressed feeling deep inside. I am tired of being this way. How are you guys dealing with this kind of situation, are you still happy?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I find it's best to be honest about such things... It's never going to get better. It's also entirely likely that things will get A LOT worse, very quickly, in the very near future. Like, zombie apocalypse bad, in a figurative sense.

There are a couple optimistic takeaways from this bad news. Now that you know, you can take steps to prepare yourself for the times to come. I'm not suggesting anyone go "Preppers" with bunkers and armories, but a basement freezer chest, some solar on your roof, and a trip to the range to shake the rust off are probably good ideas.

felonious69

Silver Member
there's a reason Native Americans smoke[d] it from a ☮ pipe.
When I was first told of my arthritis (neck and upper back), I told them..."What ever you do, DO NOT give me any of 'Those medicines". I am an addictive personality and I WILL screw that up!". I just live with it. It's been 16 years now.

AS far as weed, I have never witnessed anyone wanna kick someone's ass just because they smoked some. But give some folks some liquor...

Icetech

Gold Member
same here...never got into that, or smoking, or drugs. I saw what all of that was doing to people I knew and wanted no part of it!!

Still don't.

yeah, i grew up (literally) in a bar at 8 mile/i75 called the golden greek and seeing how people act on booze made me never have a drink in my life...

LOVE drugs though :) i just stay away from any that can hurt me :)

Last edited: