Are you still happy?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
All I know is whenever I go anywhere (hardly at all), if I need to wear a mask for more than 15 minutes I need to chew some gum. I brush my teeth beforehand, but after a certain amount of time it starts to smell like hot breath inside the mask and I find that gross. I'm not sure if it's the recycling of used air, not enough fresh air movement, or what it is, but wearing a mask effects the moisture content of my mouth. Maybe because it's harder to breathe through my nose with it on. I really have no idea, but gum is a necessity right now.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Scientifically masks were a quagmire during first SARS and has continued to be- hundreds of thousands of articles on subject from 1930’s. Masks have been directly tested by different methodology and then the real issue of testing people wearing and using. The studies are all over the place, I ignore Meta-analysis because always examine few papers compared to vast literature, and all papers describe limits of their study and how more warranted. Which they keep accumulating and still all over the place-experts in field encourage wearing a mask because it might/probably will help but there is no evidence with impunity nor a single study mean much.

You have to do some cherry picking to make an argument for or against. It interesting to note, that despite lower flu vaccination because of COVID, that flu rates have declined- so either increased distancing, hygiene or masks seems to be reducing flu ( which studies with flu and masks similarly all over the place.) It interesting to note that while flu has decreased we still have increasing COVID- despite varied responses globally.

All that aside social distancing and hand washing in all studies beneficial and wearing a mask is a worthy effort because likely it does have benefit though may not be statistically significant, The evidence is properly fitted and properly designed mask like N95 or better like Heath care workers use , does have a benefit. Some of that is common sense like covering your mouth when you cough, and why not side with caution. I think common sense trumps the quagmire of the studies so wear a mask. All the experts who point out caveats of studies all still encourage wearing a mask. Sometimes it takes science a long time to support what common sense has long supported.

I think for me, it is the combination of the mask, and the distance that ultimately is the best defense (?) I am not scientific at all, or more correctly, I don't have the patience to study it in detail (I do know basic scientific concepts, and love geology) but that seems to make sense given the basic level knowledge that was disseminated in the beginning...

I guess that I have always been the guy who just does what I am told to do in cases like this because I don't need more detail to convince me that there are "easier" ways to deal with it.

and it is not like we are being asked to do physically painful things on a regular basis to prevent this...if they were asking me to cut my tongue and pour lemon juice in the cut every day to prevent the virus, I might bitch about it....but the mask...yeah, I will do it...

someguy01

I do know basic scientific concepts, and love geology
unnamed.jpg

People learning that basic hygiene matters has to have had some effect as well. I know more folks wash their hands before leaving the restroom than in the past, just based on observation.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

View attachment 100082

People learning that basic hygiene matters has to have had some effect as well. I know more folks wash their hands before leaving the restroom than in the past, just based on observation.

yep...and I personally think we all live to close...but that is probably 90% the introvert in me. I have always felt that cities are just massive biological, and chemical time bombs...maybe we will learn to not be so on top of each other all the time

J-W

I've been a "germaphobe" all my life so this isn't a big deal to me. I've always used a napkin to pick up the ketchup bottle at restaurants, a paper towel on the gas pump, my grocery list on the freezer doors, my pinky knuckle on touch pads, etc.. I can't help but think of all the nasty people that have touched things prior to me needing to so I avoid it if I can. If I can't, I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me and have for years. Earlier this year my dad said to me "Wash your hands often, avoid commonly touched items, use hand sanitizer, stay away from people.....you've been preparing your whole life for this!". I said, welcome to my world.
If there is anything good to come from all this, I hope it's that people will be a little more conscience about personal hygiene, but unfortunately my observations so far say otherwise. Cleanliness hasn't been a part of many cultures and that isn't about to change even if their lives depend on it apparently.

felonious69

Agreeing with a lot of these most recent comments here, I have to say...
Perpetual whining and perpetually self absorbed describes a huge amount of behavior I see.
It's why I mostly isolate as much as I can.
It's been that way for quite a while with me but recently it's just pathetic how bad it's gotten.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I've been a "germaphobe" all my life so this isn't a big deal to me. I've always used a napkin to pick up the ketchup bottle at restaurants, a paper towel on the gas pump, my grocery list on the freezer doors, my pinky knuckle on touch pads, etc.. I can't help but think of all the nasty people that have touched things prior to me needing to so I avoid it if I can. If I can't, I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me and have for years. Earlier this year my dad said to me "Wash your hands often, avoid commonly touched items, use hand sanitizer, stay away from people.....you've been preparing your whole life for this!". I said, welcome to my world.
If there is anything good to come from all this, I hope it's that people will be a little more conscience about personal hygiene, but unfortunately my observations so far say otherwise. Cleanliness hasn't been a part of many cultures and that isn't about to change even if their lives depend on it apparently.

yeah...I am a moderate germaphobe as well, so I practiced much of the "barrier" behavior (as I call it) as well before COVID...except that I never use/d hand sanitizer b/c I believe - and am possibly wrong...@getagrippa can probably help with this- that it weakens the immunity already in the oils and skin of our hands

felonious69

To me it's kind of amazing when you see the way a lot of people think that they think.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I had a major germ phobia till I got married and had kids. My older brothers would hold me down and spit, urinate and throw crap on me to give me “germs”. Then at school germs became a fear. I use to wash my hands constantly, as my face, and body. A bar with Dove soap for face, another bar hands, a bar for body. I had three towels that id use twice but hide snd hang in my closet. I was nuts but education helped- you can’t escape bacteria or viruses (some good some bad) then my first lil one peed and crapped on my face- germ phobia gone. LOL I’ll use one towel forever now- my wife will put in laundry, no more dedicated soap, etc. Actually being to clean is as bad as to dirty. Being exposed to germ challenges your immunity and increases health studies find. During human migration Out of Africa immune related genes the most selected on allowing us to occupy new ecosystems.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Happiness is a state of mind-I think I lost my mind-so I'm not happy.

I’m relatively happy I guess , but after a long hiatus from the kit and only getting back behind it more seriously this past year .........

I’d be happier if I could get back to playing more like I used to years ago , which was more like this thread related cover...... .

Crap ! Now I’m relatively unhappy again thinking about this ?

Bozozoid

MONEY...brings happiness...don't let anyone steer you otherwise. Until I win the lottery I'll only have glimpses of happiness.