Are you still happy?

felonious69

Salt is important enough to risk their life obtaining it for the Ibex
How they knew it was there is pretty amazing as well

Man! I just use a salt shaker!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Well you have to have salt-just not to much. Everything in balance. Sodium and Potassium important in every cell of body as well as osmolarity of blood. Your kidneys use sodium and urea to create the osmotic gradient for kidney function. Sodium homeostasis is crucial for life. So pass the salt I need it for my eggs. Don't forget the only thing that separates humans from all the other animals is bacon. A special food group unique to humans. LOL
Yeah you are literally what you eat. So if the diet not rich in essential amino acids, fats, carbs, you can't develop properly or function properly. All the amino acids need to be present for protein synthesis to occur-we aren't like bacteria that synthesizes all their needs often. That's often the issue with vegetarian diets is many foods are poor in specific amino acids so you have to eat a variety to meet your needs. Animal proteins are rich in all amino acids so it's never an issue. Most people don't eat enough nuts but it contains many essential fatty acids not common in other foods. Really if you eat a healthy diet you should never need to take vitamins or any supplements-although a caveat as we age certain ones become an issue. Americans didn't change their diets to accommodate our more sedentary lifestyle compared to past-so we got fat and lazy in layman's terms LOL. I use to be a big vitamin nut and supplements but you can actually do more harm than good so educate yourself to all the goings on. Now with a new field of metabolomics and more emphasis on your genetics scientist are understanding our evolutionary past and genetic ancestry makes us prone to certain diets and differences in metabolism (like take eskimos for instance and they thrive on a high fat diet is an extreme of how our genetics can determine our diet).

I think, in all of my education about food intake via diabetes and post heart attack classes, that the BALANCE of what you eat is the most important thing there is. Too much of this, or not enough of that throws your system totally out of whack. I NEVER participate(ed) in any of the fad "all or nothing" diets because I saw how bad they were for the people doing them. I guess I did participate in the Midwestern Diet...which is all of the carbs, sugars and fats plus fast food...but I am fighting that now.

In all things in my life, I think balance is the Supreme Power....when things are out of balance, evil/negativity happens...AND we need evil and negativity to also have good and positivity....

If used correctly, you should never actually taste salt it should only be an enhancer, but I'm with you on this. I also don't like the taste of salt.
I got lucky and have a local produce farm that will deliver to my house so I can keep on the fresh veggies and fruits (CO Palisade peaches are off the chart delicious), but shopping healthy is quite the endeavor and is certainly costly.
Being in the world of Agronomy, I will always defend the massive misunderstanding that surrounds GMOs. There are flaws, for sure, but a great deal of modification is done for pest and disease resistance in order to increase yield and lower cost to the consumer. Man has been genetically modifying plants since the earliest days of farming. Cross breeding species to get a more desirable result or a healthier plant. The most common one that springs to mind is bananas. Bananas have been genetically modified through cultivation for centuries to get what you find at the store, an unmodified banana tastes like arse and is loaded with seeds. The science end has allowed this process to speed up. Rather than taking decades of breeding to get the final desired result, the genes can be modified directly. But again I stress, this doesn't mean that all of the science being done is good, but neither is all of it the evil incarnate some would have you believe.
I could also go on about the misconceptions and propaganda that surrounds fertilizers, herbicides, and insecticides, but this is not the place.

yeah...the drummer in my crossover/thrash band world for Pioneer, and is also in Agronomy, so we have had many discussions over the years abut the whole GMO thing. I personally - being the relative of a whole family of Illinois super farmers (my dad's side of the family started Dekalb Seed corn back in the day) - have never had anything against GMO's as a whole. Like you mentioned, anyone who has paid attention to history knows that we have been genetically modifying things for 10,000 years. I fear natural things like sodium and sugar more....and it is not really a fear when taken in moderation.

Sodium is needed for proper nerve and muscle function also. Been reading a lot about sodium in the past few days. I was curious what would happen if one completely removed it from their diet. The short answer is eventual death. I was shocked. So too much or not enough sodium can kill a human. Crazy.

Correct ! But no need to add it. Even if eating fresh, or raw , or healthy or what have you, most natural foods ,.....eggs, meats, fruits , and veggies contain most of the sodium that most need to survive barring and special medical circumstances.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Balance is key-very much so in exercise which I've always been a lunatic whether it was weight lifting, running, an elliptical or treadmill. I'm just all out so have ended up getting lots of injuries, I get into the place in mind I forget what's going on and apparently my autopilot is stuck in high gear LOL. When I learned to stretch and not go over board I found more success ad less injuries. Now because of my age now I'm only walking, swimming, pushups-no sit ups cause my back and I'll do extreme yard work for hours so my heart is racing hundred miles an hours, I'm all beat red, dehydrated and I don't even notice. This past year I was mowing my yard in my old house-it's one of those self-propelled jobs so it had been an easy choir. Well the belt broke and I just had to push it-which I was beat red looking like hell and my neighbors came to check on me. I was fine but I sat and drank some water and cooled down a bit before I finished. I think I did get overheated as I felt like crap for a couple weeks-my brain in a daze. I do wonder if my heart rate so high so long I'm really taking a risk but It's a crazy tenaciousness I have with physical activities like that-don't stop wimp so I keep pushing myself. My son-in-law hates to do outdoor choirs with me-cause he wants beer breaks-oh hell no we don't stop till we are finished. I think my Dad ingrained that in my bros and I since he was a slave driver. Really my whole life I've tended to ride the extremes and because of all those fud-ups I learned more balance. A hell of a way to do so and I don't recommend it to anyone. Live and learn I guess.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Salt is important enough to risk their life obtaining it for the Ibex
How they knew it was there is pretty amazing as well

That's freaking amazing! Seems impossible doesn't it.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I used to ride the extremes as well...until I realized that it was not economical/ergonomical and was actually not getting as much done. I think I truly learned about balance in my late 30's...and patience. Both of those changed my life for the better. Better planning did too. I never really put validity into "work smarter" until I was older.

felonious69

Because we are both getting up there...
In a couple weeks I'll be 56 and she'll be 65... I try not to project.

Replacing the garbage disposal last night, she was helping me... pushing down the collar while I was underneath.

When we were finished she said:
"Are you proud of how well I helped you do that?"

I said: "I am so proud of how well you helped me get that done that I hope that someday soon I can find a girl that's JUST LIKE YOU.!"

KamaK

Platinum Member
When we were finished she said:
"Are you proud of how well I helped you do that?"

I said: "I am so proud of how well you helped me get that done that I hope that someday soon I can find a girl that's JUST LIKE YOU.!"

I'll never forget a few years back when we had a kitchen fire. I grabbed the extinguisher and let her rip, only to be confronted with a few drops of fluid. After taking care of the flames with baking soda, I lamented to my spouse about the lack of quality controls and poor longevity of today's goods. She was dismissive and said "Well it worked fine last year"......

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
We were a lot more sociable in-person years ago than we are today. Perhaps this lack of camarderie is what's contributing to such unhappiness?
An example filmed decades before 'anti-social' media became the norm:

That brought back a lot of memories.

I know why that middle aged guy at about 17:00 goes to the mall. He is looking for victims.

We were a lot more sociable in-person years ago than we are today. Perhaps this lack of camarderie is what's contributing to such unhappiness?
An example filmed decades before 'anti-social' media became the norm:

Amazing ! Was at that mall last week and spent a lot of my young life hanging out there with friends trying to pick up girls and frequenting Matthews music store seen in the opening few minutes . Looks a lot different today though . And you’re right it’s that lack of camaraderie and personal disconnect that has a hand in today’s unhappiness. I’m unhappy because times aren’t like this anymore and today’s young people would be a lot happier if they grew up like this..........

I’ve posted these before but worth posting again for those geezers Luke myself who remember these times and those younger ones who’ll never know simpler times and what they missed .....

SomeBadDrummer

Balance is key-very much so in exercise which I've always been a lunatic whether it was weight lifting, running, an elliptical or treadmill. I'm just all out so have ended up getting lots of injuries, I get into the place in mind I forget what's going on and apparently my autopilot is stuck in high gear LOL. When I learned to stretch and not go over board I found more success ad less injuries. Now because of my age now I'm only walking, swimming, pushups-no sit ups cause my back and I'll do extreme yard work for hours so my heart is racing hundred miles an hours, I'm all beat red, dehydrated and I don't even notice. This past year I was mowing my yard in my old house-it's one of those self-propelled jobs so it had been an easy choir. Well the belt broke and I just had to push it-which I was beat red looking like hell and my neighbors came to check on me. I was fine but I sat and drank some water and cooled down a bit before I finished. I think I did get overheated as I felt like crap for a couple weeks-my brain in a daze. I do wonder if my heart rate so high so long I'm really taking a risk but It's a crazy tenaciousness I have with physical activities like that-don't stop wimp so I keep pushing myself. My son-in-law hates to do outdoor choirs with me-cause he wants beer breaks-oh hell no we don't stop till we are finished. I think my Dad ingrained that in my bros and I since he was a slave driver. Really my whole life I've tended to ride the extremes and because of all those fud-ups I learned more balance. A hell of a way to do so and I don't recommend it to anyone. Live and learn I guess.
All I can say is

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

It took me 20 years to realize that happiness is not in money, tell me, maybe there are such people here too? And so that you would understand me correctly, I am not saying that happiness is in being poor, happiness is in being able to enjoy life, but never stop striving for something, even if something does not work out

i figured this out in my mid 20's, and once I did, it was super liberating...to me, happiness comes from how I effect others around me, and how I accomplish goals. I lived part of my life in my mid 30's in my van, sort of on purpose, with not a lot of stuff, and that was also very liberating. I realized that I was not a loser just because I didn't have a 4 bedroom house full of crap that I never really use. I had a good job, good friends, good family. I didn;t need stuff, other than my musical equipment - which at that time was "living" at the school I work at. that period of time taught me that happiness also comes from being flexible, proactive, and prepared. When that little experiment ran its corse, and it was time for me to get a place again, I found that I was much more stable, and more appreciative of stuff that I did have.

recently, the things that make me feel unhappy are seeing people make selfish, uninformed, immature decisions. There has been A LOT of that in the past 20 years...or maybe even past 2000 years. That frustrates me because it is soooo easy to NOT be like that, but it seems to escape a lot of people to think that way, and then it creates a negative environment to live in

doggyd69b

This period of time that called “new normal” where a face mask is a must, maintaining social distancing and many more just to keep yourself protected. This really gives me a depressed feeling deep inside. I am tired of being this way. How are you guys dealing with this kind of situation, are you still happy?
When all this COVID pandemic started, I was scheduled to deploy to the middle east. Being in the military requires me to maintain uniform standards (including hair) our shops were closed so I was not able to even get a haircut in over 3 months, then I had to leave and check in at another command in Norfolk before departing to the middle east. I had to spend 3 weeks locked in a hotel room only able to go to the office and check in/out on certain days, those 3 weeks became 7 weeks, then I finally flew to the middle east.. only to spend another 3 weeks in total isolation in a hotel room again, not allowed to leave.... During that time, I completed over 1000 math courses (mind you I hate math) completed Security +, Certified Ethical Hacker, and watched a lot of YouTube...( Imagine spending a combined 10 weeks in isolation, then tell me how you would've reacted)......Eventually we were allowed to leave and go to our ship and commence the deployment which brought along many challenges as it was pretty hard to breathe when it is over 100 Fahrenheit and you have a mask on...trying to do labor intensive tasks...I eventually got my haircut (at that point it had been almost 5 months, I was way out of standards). My point is that I did not allow my situation to get me depressed, I found things that needed to be done and did them. ( Math is the last class before getting my college degree). (One of them I am working on more degrees, I want to get a great job when retiring from the military...) Anyway, I instead focused on things that are going to make my future better, and thanked god that I am in a position where I can still collect a full paycheck and not struggle. I understand that to others it is unfortunately not the same as they have been without work for months, I deal with this my way which is to do things that I didn't do before. I don't miss much... To me it has been pretty normal with the exception of having to wait in line for certain things and wearing the masks...
My hobbies right now are drums, motorcycles, computers, woodworking. I am ok at all of them...I wish I was retired so that I could spend more time on them. I consider myself still happy. The main thing I got out of this is that I don't like to hear people complaining IF they are not doing anything about it. A lot of people specially in the U.S. always have a story about how life is so hard for them. I took me 2 months of work to have my own car and my own place (rented but still my own place).. try to do that in 3rd world countries... never going to happen.. We must focus on all the opportunities we have and make the best out of them. I rather live my life trying and failing (sometimes succeeding) than do nothing but complain about how unfair life is...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It took me 20 years to realize that happiness is not in money, tell me, maybe there are such people here too?
I have been poor my whole life. It's never been an issue. My house is paid for. Both cars are paid for. We have no credit card debt. We also dont want for much, and are happier being able to spend time with each other than trying to acquire stuff. Simplicity is where its at.

If I won the lotto, nothing would change. I wouldnt all of a sudden need a 37 room house and 18 sports cars. A Rolex and 1 Ferrari are my dream luxury items. And I'm plenty happy without them.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I have been poor my whole life. It's never been an issue. My house is paid for. Both cars are paid for. We have no credit card debt. We also dont want for much, and are happier being able to spend time with each other than trying to acquire stuff. Simplicity is where its at.

If I won the lotto, nothing would change. I wouldnt all of a sudden need a 37 room house and 18 sports cars. A Rolex and 1 Ferrari are my dream luxury items. And I'm plenty happy without them.

minus the paid off house, we are mostly in the same boat now...we each have one credit/debit card.

And same with the lotto thing. My only big purchase would be to buy some property and build a house somewhere in the UP, right on one of the Great Lakes. I would invest 90% of the winnings (so I always would have money coming in), and distribute the remaining 10% the way I see fit.

The house on the lake would also not be huge, but it would be solidly built, and my wife would have the baking kitchen she wants, and I would have a "man pole barn" type structure for my bikes, drums, and sports card collection to be displayed.

felonious69

It took me 20 years to realize that happiness is not in money, tell me, maybe there are such people here too? And so that you would understand me correctly, I am not saying that happiness is in being poor, happiness is in being able to enjoy life, but never stop striving for something, even if something does not work out
I have posted this before.
There really is not a lot I can't do without.
My car is paid for and gets me to work.
None of my guitars/drums/keys, etc. are top shelf, but good and good for me.
My skills are not top shelf.
My skills are not second shelf.
My skills are not...well they are good for me. I have some fun. (Could be better)
Happiness to me usually revolves around finding the funny in things...It's out there...ya gotta look sometimes but it's there.