Are you still happy?

felonious69

Silver Member
"Hidden hilarity"? Do tell.... :)
Sometimes I guess when you can kinda tell something's coming, but you aren't sure what and you can't do anything to stop it.

I had injured my foot and was using a cane. Went to the company picnic with my 4 yr old son. Pointed out my new boss and he took off running! (DAMN!!!!)
When I caught up...he had tugged on her pant leg and when she looked down:
"Hi. Are you my dad's new boss at the gloomy blue S***hole?"
Sheepishly I said..."That's my son".
I was laughing hard on the inside, because, yeah...he heard that from me. Not like I can punish him for that.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
Just got back from the grocery store shopping for my new diet. This sucks, I'll be 45 in 3 weeks and 3 days and this is my very first diet ever. I now see why people are in such horrible health. Almost everything, and I do mean everything, has way too much sodium in it. I get that it's a preservative and helps with shelf life, but a foods shelf life should not be longer than the lives of the people who eat it.

so much truth...sodium is the ultimate killer I think...frozen foods are really bad with sodium.

Sugars, sodium, carbs, GMO...You realize how bad when you travel abroad and the simplest things taste so different and delicious!

yep...the food in Ireland was THE BEST...especially the meat.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
so much truth...sodium is the ultimate killer I think...frozen foods are really bad with sodium.
Canned is horrible also. Even canned vegetables. We spent about 2 hours in the store because I was reading labels. I was shocked at just how much sodium is in most food. I need to stay below 1500mg/day. That's really hard to do.

And some healthy foods are worse than what they supposedly replace. Ground turkey for example has more sodium than the fattest ground beef. Veggie/soy burgers have more than a regular hamburger also. Go figure.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Canned is horrible also. Even canned vegetables. We spent about 2 hours in the store because I was reading labels. I was shocked at just how much sodium is in most food. I need to stay below 1500mg/day. That's really hard to do.

And some healthy foods are worse than what they supposedly replace. Ground turkey for example has more sodium than the fattest ground beef. Veggie/soy burgers have more than a regular hamburger also. Go figure.
They doctor it up with sodium for the taste as you know. Check out Pink Himalayan salt instead of regular table salt.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member

exact same here...and when I was relearning about food 6-7 years ago I was also shocked...it was not hard for me to get it under 1500mg a day in the end, but I just had to resource my food. I usually never bought canned anything anyways, but would use frozen veggies a lot

and yep...you have to learn to think in pre and post sodium stages. There is a LOT of great food pre sodium...but then the companies want food to stay on the shelves longer to make more sales, so most everything is then post sodium. I avoid that by doing most of my food shopping at the community co-op, where the food is brought in by local farmers. Especially in the meat category, I buy a decent amount of meat ,and then freeze it at home. It lasts fine minus the sodium help.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I considered that, and a salt substitute. Bought some Mrs. Dash instead.

I hate the taste of salt so never add it...and have been able to figure out most of the less salty tasting foods at the store after the last 40 years...if I want that savory flavor, I add fresh garlic, or garlic powder.....and dayem if I don't LOVE garlic...i eat raw cloves sometiems just as a snack

prokofi5

I now see why people are in such horrible health. Almost everything, and I do mean everything, has way too much sodium in it.
It takes some work to catch everything. And eating healthy is quite a bit more expensive. If you want to eat garbage you can get by on pennies a meal.
But, it's worth it I think. I definitely feel better ever since I've been eating better the last decade or so (sober the last 4 helps too I expect).

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
I hate the taste of salt so never add it...and have been able to figure out most of the less salty tasting foods at the store after the last 40 years...if I want that savory flavor, I add fresh garlic, or garlic powder.....and dayem if I don't LOVE garlic...i eat raw cloves sometiems just as a snack
Wow, how does one hate the taste of salt?? I guess I’m just such a sweaty sob that my body requires tons of it. (Bp 125/70 as of yesterday lol). Love garlic and other spices too...nowadays I look for non gmo, non irradiated such as this brand:https://www.frontiercoop.com/

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
Wow, how does one hate the taste of salt?? I guess I’m just such a sweaty sob that my body requires tons of it. (Bp 125/70 as of yesterday lol). Love garlic and other spices too...nowadays I look for non gmo, non irradiated such as this brand:https://www.frontiercoop.com/

have never liked it...i always ask for unsalted fries if I get them; I LOOOOOOOVE black pepper though. I drench my food in black pepper...especially if it is ground out of a peppermill

someguy01

Gold Member
hate the taste of salt so never add it.
If used correctly, you should never actually taste salt it should only be an enhancer, but I'm with you on this. I also don't like the taste of salt.
I got lucky and have a local produce farm that will deliver to my house so I can keep on the fresh veggies and fruits (CO Palisade peaches are off the chart delicious), but shopping healthy is quite the endeavor and is certainly costly.
Being in the world of Agronomy, I will always defend the massive misunderstanding that surrounds GMOs. There are flaws, for sure, but a great deal of modification is done for pest and disease resistance in order to increase yield and lower cost to the consumer. Man has been genetically modifying plants since the earliest days of farming. Cross breeding species to get a more desirable result or a healthier plant. The most common one that springs to mind is bananas. Bananas have been genetically modified through cultivation for centuries to get what you find at the store, an unmodified banana tastes like arse and is loaded with seeds. The science end has allowed this process to speed up. Rather than taking decades of breeding to get the final desired result, the genes can be modified directly. But again I stress, this doesn't mean that all of the science being done is good, but neither is all of it the evil incarnate some would have you believe.
I could also go on about the misconceptions and propaganda that surrounds fertilizers, herbicides, and insecticides, but this is not the place.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well you have to have salt-just not to much. Everything in balance. Sodium and Potassium important in every cell of body as well as osmolarity of blood. Your kidneys use sodium and urea to create the osmotic gradient for kidney function. Sodium homeostasis is crucial for life. So pass the salt I need it for my eggs. Don't forget the only thing that separates humans from all the other animals is bacon. A special food group unique to humans. LOL

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Well you have to have salt-just not to much. Everything in balance. Sodium and Potassium important in every cell of body as well as osmolarity of blood. Your kidneys use sodium and urea to create the osmotic gradient for kidney function. Sodium homeostasis is crucial for life.
Sodium is needed for proper nerve and muscle function also. Been reading a lot about sodium in the past few days. I was curious what would happen if one completely removed it from their diet. The short answer is eventual death. I was shocked. So too much or not enough sodium can kill a human. Crazy.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yeah you are literally what you eat. So if the diet not rich in essential amino acids, fats, carbs, you can't develop properly or function properly. All the amino acids need to be present for protein synthesis to occur-we aren't like bacteria that synthesizes all their needs often. That's often the issue with vegetarian diets is many foods are poor in specific amino acids so you have to eat a variety to meet your needs. Animal proteins are rich in all amino acids so it's never an issue. Most people don't eat enough nuts but it contains many essential fatty acids not common in other foods. Really if you eat a healthy diet you should never need to take vitamins or any supplements-although a caveat as we age certain ones become an issue. Americans didn't change their diets to accommodate our more sedentary lifestyle compared to past-so we got fat and lazy in layman's terms LOL. I use to be a big vitamin nut and supplements but you can actually do more harm than good so educate yourself to all the goings on. Now with a new field of metabolomics and more emphasis on your genetics scientist are understanding our evolutionary past and genetic ancestry makes us prone to certain diets and differences in metabolism (like take eskimos for instance and they thrive on a high fat diet is an extreme of how our genetics can determine our diet).

It’s all a matter first of getting back to the best numbers ( for you) that are attainable , so like baseline for you , (and try to stay there for a bit) let your meter be your guide with your pre and post prandial readings with foods you know don’t raise you up sharply . Then you work back in foods that may or may not raise you so much,... and test . Remember it took years of hurting our body’s with wrong choices to get us to this point so it takes time to get back to YOUR best baseline numbers. Won’t happen overnight . Don’t be discouraged!!!
I hear you with the willpower stuff. Believe me I’m not perfect . Although my A1c is good I’ve seen my post prandial numbers spike this past year due to bad choices coupled with less exercise ( walking fast) due to ankle , back and knee injuries. When my pre and post were really good , maintaining it was easier with exercise especially if I was eating more or somewhat less healthy carbs. It’s a whole system working together and not just one magic bullet . There were and are times I can eat let’s say , a small piece of cheesecake, ( bad I know ) but because I was exorcising regularity I could do that with only a moderate rise in BG. But I’d walk a mile after eating it . If I did that now it wouldn’t be as pretty of a picture numbers wise . But I know this and once I get back to better pre and post prandial along with my 3-5 miles walked per day I can eat bigger and or more meals or have a cheat now and again because my metabolism will be working better( faster) . The exercise you do today continues to burn sugar into the next day , it’s cyclical and somewhat cumulative. Start slow with MD’s help and keep at it and if you take a step or 200 back ?, just learn , let it go and continue . You can’t change the past but can control ( to degrees) your future. .
Good luck , you GOT it ??. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or just need a kick in the ass ??. I’ll do my best to answer if I can ??

Edit: @GetAgrippa brought up a good point that I usually go by ...... some good fats, proteins, and HEALTHY carbs in every meal ! And I’ve found that eating ( if possible) 6 or more smaller meals a day helps ME. With at least 3 of those containing those .

someguy01

Gold Member
I'll never quite understand how I remain as healthy as I am. I don't exercise outside of the daily workout I get at work. I only eat once a day and have for almost 30 years now and I don't find myself hungry except at my regular meal time (dinner). My only health flaw, if you will, is genetically high cholesterol but even that dropped almost 100 points in a year with medication and adding more fiber.
I don't snack much as I've never liked chips and such for how they stick in your teeth, don't drink soda either as again, I never liked how it felt on my teeth. Stopped drinking almost 6 years ago, quit smoking 2 years ago. I used to only run when chased and even then only situations of extreme duress, and now that my ankle is bolted together I physically cannot run anymore. Bicycle on occasion, lots of water and tea, and a physically demanding profession equals pretty darn good health.