Are you still happy?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I do not eat fast food. The rare occasion is when I'm busy away from home and didnt bring food. It's been over a year for sure.

I do not drink soda. Dont really like it. I might drink 1 every 3 or 4 months.

I eat lots of potatoes. We eat a meat meal maybe once or twice a week. I'm a beans and rice kinda guy too.

I try to eat healthy, like actually try. I was brought up on a small farm. We grew our own fruits and vegetables and healthy eating was ingrained into my head early on.

DASH is Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. It can lower blood pressure.

DASH is fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, fish, and poultry. It has me eat foods high in calcium, potassium, and magnesium. These help lower BP. It also restricts sodium intake, as sodium raises BP. I still have to have some sodium to help with hydration, nerve, and muscle function.

that is pretty much the Mediterranean diet as well. I am not a big fan of vegetables b/c any time we had veggies when I was young, they were over cooked to a fine nasty mush <--(another midwestern thing) so there are only a few veggies I will eat, and they have to be raw and crunchy

Again I might have a fine BP, but it always reads high at the Dr office/dentist/etc because I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Anxiety raises BP. Stress raises anxiety. Medical visits raises anxiety and stress. You can see the viscous circle. So I have to get a BP monitoring device to check it regularly at home when I'm not anxious. This will give the Dr a better look at how I am on a normal day when I'm not worried about getting poked and prodded. However, the BP cuff makes me a bit anxious also when it starts squeezing my arm. If I do it everyday that should stop though.

that is the same as my wife...they always have to do her BP last.

And I hate...HATE...needles, but now have to poke my self with insulin every day, so I have managed to get past it...sort of

I might not need the DASH diet if my BP is normal. I'm not a fan of meds though, so I'm doing the DASH diet anyways to hopefully not need any. Everything helps.

I managed to stay off of meds for 38 years...I still don't take anything for headaches etc., but I have about 5 pills aI have to take every day...and I also HATED swallowing pills....but have now mostly gotten over that too. The Metformin are like freaking footballs though

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
that is pretty much the Mediterranean diet as well. I am not a big fan of vegetables b/c any time we had veggies when I was young, they were over cooked to a fine nasty mush <--(another midwestern thing) so there are only a few veggies I will eat, and they have to be raw and crunchy
Oh man I love vegetables. Raw, steamed, mushy as hell, it doesnt matter.

that is the same as my wife...they always have to do her BP last.

And I hate...HATE...needles, but now have to poke my self with insulin every day, so I have managed to get past it...sort of
I hate needles too. I deal with it, but cant look. It even creeps me out watching it on tv/movies.

I managed to stay off of meds for 38 years...I still don't take anything for headaches etc., but I have about 5 pills aI have to take every day...and I also HATED swallowing pills....but have now mostly gotten over that too. The Metformin are like freaking footballs though
Eww, I'm sorry.

dude....nip that Diabetes stuff in the bud!! I am 15 years Type 2 diabetic and it can get scary sometimes...esp if I don't keep up on my diet, blood reading etc...I got diagnosed when I was 38

Damn straight ! Can’t agree with you more .
This June will be 6 years since I was diagnosed with type II and metabolic syndrome. F’n scary shyte!!! I’m 54 now . I’m 5 years off insulin , metformin , cholesterol meds, and high blood pressure meds after changing my diet , exercising and losing 80 pounds ( too much) and purposely putting back on 20 of it. And have kept off that 60-65 lbs since then . It’s a constant effort to keep my blood sugar in check . But for over 5 years my A1c has been 4.9 or under( usually 4.7) with no wild swings in BG . When I went in hosp it was like 11A1c and my glucose
( sugar level) when taken was around 400?@MrInsanepolack .... Don’t F around with this. Like you I was pre type II but like .2 off, but 18 months later my pancreas said go F yourself buddy and I was in hosp with above numbers, which was only found due to going into hospital for afib which was probably caused by the perfect storm of high BP, high blood sugar, high cholesterol and triglycerides. When your pancreas quits on ya it can happen fast . I was lucky! I found out early on lost the weight and exercised more before irreversible damage occurred but I may or may not have issues in future even though My sugar is under control as every diabetic is different . Once you burn out the islet cells ( they produce your body’s insulin) you don’t get them back . With Insulin resistance your body makes it but your cells don’t use it due to extra body weight and lack of exercise . Eat right , stay away from bad carbs and get some regular aerobic exercise . You’ll lose weight make your body use your insulin and change your metabolism . People always say and hear this but it’s true ..... If I can do this anyone can. Good luck and get after it !

I don’t wanna increase your anxiety , don’t worry about it you’re still pre and can change the course( too late for some of us ) , but get on it . No refined sugar , white foods are bad for the most part , increase non starchy veggies and fruits ( berries are good for this). Any food questions or diabetes questions feel free to ask or DM me ! That goes for anyone on this site. If I can help you in any way and keep you from becoming endocrine challenged like myself I WILL ! ??

Edit: Dint believe the wheat hype . Sprites wheat breads and such maybe but haven’t gotten into and hard to find , but regular wheat bread that people go to when giving up white is just as bad for blood sugar ! Eating a slice of white bread ( or regular wheat) turns to sugar in your blood almost as fast swallowing a spoonful of sugar . Low carb wraps or breads of 1 carb per serving
( 15 grams) are what you’re looking for .

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You’ll lose weight make your body use your insulin and change your metabolism .
Not to worry, I'm 6' tall, 140lb, and in excellent physical shape. My metabolism is fantastic. The Dr told me not to worry about it yet, so I wont. My cholesterol is fantastic (Drs words, not mine). I dont drink, smoke/vape, or drink caffeine anymore either. All in all I'm not unhealthy. My anxiety is horrible though, so it makes me feel unhealthy. Stupid brain disorder. I do probably need more exercise, but I'm working on that also.

felonious69

Gold Member
Kids are always a source of hilarity.
Was in kind of a sour mood one day.
Talking to my niece's daughter I asked her "What color are your eyes?"
She says "I don't know" I told her to go the mirror in the hallway and look.
She comes back "Brown and white".
I asked her what color my eyes are:
"Red and white and blue".
My mood shifted.

wraub

Gold Member
"Hidden hilarity"? Do tell.... :)

I'm gonna say it again....
Laugh!
Find something that is funny and laugh.
There really is a lot out there that is "hidden", borderline hilarious.
It really does help.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Damn straight ! Can’t agree with you more .
This June will be 6 years since I was diagnosed with type II and metabolic syndrome. F’n scary shyte!!! I’m 54 now . I’m 5 years off insulin , metformin , cholesterol meds, and high blood pressure meds after changing my diet , exercising and losing 80 pounds ( too much) and purposely putting back on 20 of it. And have kept off that 60-65 lbs since then . It’s a constant effort to keep my blood sugar in check . But for over 5 years my A1c has been 4.9 or under( usually 4.7) with no wild swings in BG . When I went in hosp it was like 11A1c and my glucose
( sugar level) when taken was around 400?@MrInsanepolack .... Don’t F around with this. Like you I was pre type II but like .2 off, but 18 months later my pancreas said go F yourself buddy and I was in hosp with above numbers, which was only found due to going into hospital for afib which was probably caused by the perfect storm of high BP, high blood sugar, high cholesterol and triglycerides. When your pancreas quits on ya it can happen fast . I was lucky! I found out early on lost the weight and exercised more before irreversible damage occurred but I may or may not have issues in future even though My sugar is under control as every diabetic is different . Once you burn out the islet cells ( they produce your body’s insulin) you don’t get them back . With Insulin resistance your body makes it but your cells don’t use it due to extra body weight and lack of exercise . Eat right , stay away from bad carbs and get some regular aerobic exercise . You’ll lose weight make your body use your insulin and change your metabolism . People always say and hear this but it’s true ..... If I can do this anyone can. Good luck and get after it !

I don’t wanna increase your anxiety , don’t worry about it you’re still pre and can change the course( too late for some of us ) , but get on it . No refined sugar , white foods are bad for the most part , increase non starchy veggies and fruits ( berries are good for this). Any food questions or diabetes questions feel free to ask or DM me ! That goes for anyone on this site. If I can help you in any way and keep you from becoming endocrine challenged like myself I WILL ! ??

Edit: Dint believe the wheat hype . Sprites wheat breads and such maybe but haven’t gotten into and hard to find , but regular wheat bread that people go to when giving up white is just as bad for blood sugar ! Eating a slice of white bread ( or regular wheat) turns to sugar in your blood almost as fast swallowing a spoonful of sugar . Low carb wraps or breads of 1 carb per serving
( 15 grams) are what you’re looking for .

man, this post is making me feel much better about my self....I have recently gone "off the wagon" with some of my care...like eating crappy for the most part. When I went into the hospital with my heart attack my A1C was at 13...afterwards, I had it down to 5s and 6s, lost t he weight, was eating right etc. etc. Have always exercised riding bikes and playing hockey. But in the past year, stress has had me eating worse - food is my vice since I don't smoke or drink to handle stress - and I am feeling it. I wish I could get off of the insulin and meds...and reading your post reminded me how close I was aat one point, so it can be done...I just have to man up and do it.

It starts today!

man, this post is making me feel much better about my self....I have recently gone "off the wagon" with some of my care...like eating crappy for the most part. When I went into the hospital with my heart attack my A1C was at 13...afterwards, I had it down to 5s and 6s, lost t he weight, was eating right etc. etc. Have always exercised riding bikes and playing hockey. But in the past year, stress has had me eating worse - food is my vice since I don't smoke or drink to handle stress - and I am feeling it. I wish I could get off of the insulin and meds...and reading your post reminded me how close I was aat one point, so it can be done...I just have to man up and do it.

It starts today!

Excellent ! You can do it bro ! And even if you do almost everything or almost everything you need to, you might still be on meds and that’s ok , maybe less meds , or maybe none ,your body will dictate that but you have to make those changes to see if it’s possible . And if not you’d still be eating healthier and that’s paramount for for a diabetics health and non diabetics as well . Small steady changes at first and as always consult your endocrinologist before any drastic changes so they can advise you adjust meds down as necessary ??

Do you see an endocrinologist? And do you know if your pancreas still makes insulin ? Do you keep a food log and notes ? Do have a meter and test regularly? As always , especially when making a go at reducing or working toward getting off the meds ..... test, test and test ?? . You’ll figure out with an endo’s help what works best for you

If not , make an appointment with one and tell them your plan to lower and one day maybe get off the meds . Always consult the doctor !

Good for you for wanting to take better care of your type II ????.

Edit: Oh and never beat yourself up for going off the wagon , we all do ! I have during this covid crap too due to stress . But stress is a killer too and can raise our blood sugar also . So exercise and or hobbies or whatever is not damaging to oneself to keep stress down is a must also ??

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Kids are always a source of hilarity.
Was in kind of a sour mood one day.
Talking to my niece's daughter I asked her "What color are your eyes?"
She says "I don't know" I told her to go the mirror in the hallway and look.
She comes back "Brown and white".
I asked her what color my eyes are:
"Red and white and blue".
My mood shifted.
No truer words spoken-my kids have always been the light of my life-now a grand girl. The truth comes out of them like water from a fountain. My granddaughter's reaction to my leather-like calloused feet was "Yuck Pop Pop!" Yeah she had me they are yucky-I go barefoot all the time so look like an ole beat up pair of shoes. I love to listen to children laugh and play. I actually would love to work at a nursery with little kids-my wife tells me I'd be great and a regular Pied Piper. But dang the thought of an old man keeping children creeps me out-so I'd never do it. But I really love kids-watching them think and learn. Parenting was the best experience of my life I'd have to say hands down. I liked being their hero then as they grew I became a dud/zero and then later a hero again. I think it's a thing-so when it happens don't get your feelings hurt.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Excellent ! You can do it bro ! And even if you do almost everything or almost everything you need to, you might still be on meds and that’s ok , maybe less meds , or maybe none ,your body will dictate that but you have to make those changes to see if it’s possible . And if not you’d still be eating healthier and that’s paramount for for a diabetics health and non diabetics as well . Small steady changes at first and as always consult your endocrinologist before any drastic changes so they can advise you adjust meds down as necessary ??

Do you see an endocrinologist? And do you know if your pancreas still makes insulin ? Do you keep a food log and notes ? Do have a meter and test regularly? As always , especially when making a go at reducing or working toward getting off the meds ..... test, test and test ?? . You’ll figure out with an endo’s help what works best for you[\QUOTE]

thanks man!! I only saw the endocrinologist after my heart attack. My regular MD has been keeping track of that side of things with my blood draws. I do think my pancreas is making insulin though b/c I don't have to shoot up that much.

I do have a meter, and usually test every other day when I am not off the wagon. Will have to go back to every day now as I am regulating things back again. And I did keep a food log at first, but those kinds of things really stress me out so they become less helpfull. I do better at just memorizing a list of what I can't eat, and leaving it at that. I memorize what to avoid as far as ingredients go.

If not , make an appointment with one and tell them your plan to lower and one day maybe get off the meds . Always consult the doctor !

Good for you for wanting to take better care of your type II ????.

Edit: Oh and never beat yourself up for going off the wagon , we all do ! I have during this covid crap too due to stress . But stress is a killer too and can raise our blood sugar also . So exercise and or hobbies or whatever is not damaging to oneself to keep stress down is a must also ??

what is so frustrating is how hard it is to be good...and how easy it is to be bad. It is like 2 steps forward 200 back sometimes! And after the recent tests, most of my bad numbers are only bad by a small margin...and that is also frustrating. Like, I would rather lose by a million than by one! I would rather be over my LDL numbers by 40 than by 2, because the 2 proves that I should be keeping control of it....on the o ther hand, it is easier to recover 2 than 40....

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
No truer words spoken-my kids have always been the light of my life-now a grand girl. The truth comes out of them like water from a fountain. My granddaughter's reaction to my leather-like calloused feet was "Yuck Pop Pop!" Yeah she had me they are yucky-I go barefoot all the time so look like an ole beat up pair of shoes. I love to listen to children laugh and play. I actually would love to work at a nursery with little kids-my wife tells me I'd be great and a regular Pied Piper. But dang the thought of an old man keeping children creeps me out-so I'd never do it. But I really love kids-watching them think and learn. Parenting was the best experience of my life I'd have to say hands down. I liked being their hero then as they grew I became a dud/zero and then later a hero again. I think it's a thing-so when it happens don't get your feelings hurt.

You could just hang out a couple hours a day and play some hand drums with the kids. My wife used to work at a day care, they LOVED when I showed up with drums.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
You could just hang out a couple hours a day and play some hand drums with the kids. My wife used to work at a day care, they LOVED when I showed up with drums.
I'd love to play music, art stuf, and singing songs. Great exercise for their minds. Then discovery-show them and give them "special" things because kids love to collect stuff. I gave my granddaughter a pretty white smooth river rock I'd found-nothing special but to her-it's her special rock. She keeps it in a purse and tells my daughter it's her special rock. That's hilarious. I've got some geodes I'm going to crack open with her next time I see her-should be fun to see what we find. One is bound to be "special" LOL. Kids are like vacuum cleaners absorbing even when you don't think they are paying attention. You can see the wheels turning at times. It's "magical" being a child-I feel like I'm stealing some of it when I visit them. It's like fairly dust so I sprinkle it on and fly around all happy for bit. Then I fly to close to the Sun and the wax melts and I crash-like Icarus. Little children aren't insane-in contrast to adults.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Just got back from the grocery store shopping for my new diet. This sucks, I'll be 45 in 3 weeks and 3 days and this is my very first diet ever. I now see why people are in such horrible health. Almost everything, and I do mean everything, has way too much sodium in it. I get that it's a preservative and helps with shelf life, but a foods shelf life should not be longer than the lives of the people who eat it.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Just got back from the grocery store shopping for my new diet. This sucks, I'll be 45 in 3 weeks and 3 days and this is my very first diet ever. I now see why people are in such horrible health. Almost everything, and I do mean everything, has way too much sodium in it. I get that it's a preservative and helps with shelf life, but a foods shelf life should not be longer than the lives of the people who eat it.
Sugars, sodium, carbs, GMO...You realize how bad when you travel abroad and the simplest things taste so different and delicious!

felonious69

Gold Member
"Hidden hilarity"? Do tell.... :)
Sometimes I guess when you can kinda tell something's coming, but you aren't sure what and you can't do anything to stop it.

I had injured my foot and was using a cane. Went to the company picnic with my 4 yr old son. Pointed out my new boss and he took off running! (DAMN!!!!)
When I caught up...he had tugged on her pant leg and when she looked down:
"Hi. Are you my dad's new boss at the gloomy blue S***hole?"
Sheepishly I said..."That's my son".
I was laughing hard on the inside, because, yeah...he heard that from me. Not like I can punish him for that.