Are you still happy?

felonious69

Gold Member
Kidding?? So we are talking goat parturition now? Let the kidding begin. There will be no silence like the lambs but bunches of baaaaaaaaad kids baaaaaaaahing. I wonder if goat hides would make fine drum heads? And I came back to drumming for the save. I'm sure different skins have different thickness/properties-I think Djembe's were originally made from some extinct African species?
Good save...Good save!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Kidding?? So we are talking goat parturition now? Let the kidding begin. There will be no silence like the lambs but bunches of baaaaaaaaad kids baaaaaaaahing. I wonder if goat hides would make fine drum heads? And I came back to drumming for the save. I'm sure different skins have different thickness/properties-I think Djembe's were originally made from some extinct African species?

I have a djembe with goatskin heads...it gets great bass tones and pop tones

wraub

Gold Member
I have a talking drum, a Remo Francis Awe Signature, and playing it makes me feel happy. :)

It's an Esaju with an Acousticon shell. Looks kinds like this-
1609635112411.png
The heads are FiberSkyn 3, which I think means they were made from 3 skinny goats... Yeah, that's gotta be right.
Great for travel and camping use.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I'm happy....I just spent an hour or so listening to ride cymbals on mycymbal.com

making a list....

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I'm happy....I just spent an hour or so listening to ride cymbals on mycymbal.com

making a list....

Yeah, that site is awesome. Although I can’t imagine listening for an hour. All these drummers have like 6 crashes, 4 rides, and 10 hats, and feel like they need more. As an orchestral player, I can just HIT IT DIFFERENTLY and get the sound I need LOL

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Yeah, that site is awesome. Although I can’t imagine listening for an hour. All these drummers have like 6 crashes, 4 rides, and 10 hats, and feel like they need more. As an orchestral player, I can just HIT IT DIFFERENTLY and get the sound I need LOL

yeah...I waffle between only using the ride to ride on...and wanting it to have some crash qualities....and again, music style determines that mostly. There is NO WAY I am crashing on my rock ride...but my 50's era Zildjian is sooooo crash-able

and I didn't really think that listening to cymbals online was going to holf my interest for that long...but they did a pretty good job representing the sounds in that situation

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yes and no. Went to the Dr before xmas, went back yesterday to get my bloodwork results. I am mostly in good health. I have pre-prediabetes and high blood pressure. The pre-prediabetes is not of concern. The Dr said I am .1 away from normal, and the protein that they screen for stays in the blood for 3 months so it's not of concern right now. I have to start monitoring my BP because my readings might be up because of my anxiety. I have to change my diet somewhat also. So I got paperwork from her about the DASH diet. Fruits, vegetables, and wheat products here I come. Good thing I like that stuff.

So yes I'm happy I'm basically in good health. No I'm not happy because now I need a BP monitor and eating healthy is expensive. And I love candy. Boo.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Thanks Mr Polack. That reminds me I need a yearly physical-been waiting for vaccine access which I think is 1/11. My wife, being a healthcare doc, has already had first dose. I’ve lost a bunch of weight since I last saw her so I’m hoping everything is better than ever with blood work and everything. My kidney function has always been slightly off- I think from an anaphylactic reaction to contrast dye of kidneys years ago. But sometimes it will be normal? Really odd she doesn’t know why- so I’m guessing.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Thanks Mr Polack. That reminds me I need a yearly physical-been waiting for vaccine access which I think is 1/11. My wife, being a healthcare doc, has already had first dose. I’ve lost a bunch of weight since I last saw her so I’m hoping everything is better than ever with blood work and everything. My kidney function has always been slightly off- I think from an anaphylactic reaction to contrast dye of kidneys years ago. But sometimes it will be normal? Really odd she doesn’t know why- so I’m guessing.
My wife gets her vaccine some time in February as she is an essential worker (grocery store). Her store is paying for it also and has already ordered how many they need. No idea when I be able to.

I really think my BP is high because my anxiety skyrockets when I see the Dr., but just to be sure I'm gonna do the diet and monitoring because I really dont want meds.

Old Dog new Cans

I’ve got a mega-djembe 17.5” diameter with goatskin heads. I swear that drum smelled like goat for 6 months after I got it.

I'm guessing, having not been around a goat since my childhood probably, they don't particularly smell good? :sick: lol

I could really use some sunshine. So so grey here. For days, and days to come.

On a side note, my iNDE lightweight cymbal arm should arrive today! And besides a vintage Slingerland snare stand, I will have everything needed to complete my resto-mod project! That helps the happy. :)

Because I save so much money NOT drinking, when I boil brats, I use a can of Foster's (Australian for "beeyah") if I can find one. Don't ever use any of the skunky or sweet beers. Quarter/peel an onion and toss it into the boil.
Lots of folks just use a regular beer...whatever they have on hand.

Amazing ! Ive used nothing but fosters for years when boiling brats . I used to get a few for myself also , but my blood sugar won’t allow that anymore, so it’s mich ultras and their 2.5 carbs each for me if I do drink . I’ve tried using those as there’s usually a few on hand but not the same as when in the Fosters so still gotta grab an oil can ??. I’ve always used beer to boil and marinate brats and lots of meets . Did a corned beef and cabbage in it also...... Fantastic !

felonious69

Gold Member
Never tried the Corned Beef in beer...Yet! (I'm slightly Irish...Mostly the laughing and drinking parts...You can probably tell from my accent)

someguy01

Platinum Member
Flank steak + Sam Adams chocolate stout = a delicious marinade.
I make a German roulade with the flank.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Yes and no. Went to the Dr before xmas, went back yesterday to get my bloodwork results. I am mostly in good health. I have pre-prediabetes and high blood pressure. The pre-prediabetes is not of concern. The Dr said I am .1 away from normal, and the protein that they screen for stays in the blood for 3 months so it's not of concern right now. I have to start monitoring my BP because my readings might be up because of my anxiety. I have to change my diet somewhat also. So I got paperwork from her about the DASH diet. Fruits, vegetables, and wheat products here I come. Good thing I like that stuff.

So yes I'm happy I'm basically in good health. No I'm not happy because now I need a BP monitor and eating healthy is expensive. And I love candy. Boo.

dude....nip that Diabetes stuff in the bud!! I am 15 years Type 2 diabetic and it can get scary sometimes...esp if I don't keep up on my diet, blood reading etc...I got diagnosed when I was 38

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
dude....nip that Diabetes stuff in the bud!! I am 15 years Type 2 diabetic and it can get scary sometimes...esp if I don't keep up on my diet, blood reading etc...I got diagnosed when I was 38
Dr said not to be worried about it because the protein (or whatever it is) that binds with the blood stays in the blood for 3 months. She said normal is 5.6 and I am 5.7, so when I go back in 6 months (or sooner depending on BP) we can check it again. I do eat a lot of candy and was consuming it before I had the test. Diabetes does run in my family, but so does other stuff that I dont have, like high cholesterol.

If I worry about it, my anxiety goes up. If my anxiety goes up, so does my BP. I'm gonna do the DASH diet and see what happens.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Dr said not to be worried about it because the protein (or whatever it is) that binds with the blood stays in the blood for 3 months. She said normal is 5.6 and I am 5.7, so when I go back in 6 months (or sooner depending on BP) we can check it again. I do eat a lot of candy and was consuming it before I had the test. Diabetes does run in my family, but so does other stuff that I dont have, like high cholesterol.

If I worry about it, my anxiety goes up. If my anxiety goes up, so does my BP. I'm gonna do the DASH diet and see what happens.

sweet...I wish someone had told me waaayy back when about how diet can controll/avoid it. I mean, I know that I heard all of the advice...but no body caught me and beat me down with it. I grew up in "mainstream American midwest" food world....which was fast food, and LOTS of bread, taters and meat so I also had that going against me as well

what is the DASH diet? I mostly try to follow a Mediterranean diet when I am being good....

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I grew up in "mainstream American midwest" food world....which was fast food, and LOTS of bread, taters and meat so I also had that going against me as well
I do not eat fast food. The rare occasion is when I'm busy away from home and didnt bring food. It's been over a year for sure.

I do not drink soda. Dont really like it. I might drink 1 every 3 or 4 months.

I eat lots of potatoes. We eat a meat meal maybe once or twice a week. I'm a beans and rice kinda guy too.

I try to eat healthy, like actually try. I was brought up on a small farm. We grew our own fruits and vegetables and healthy eating was ingrained into my head early on.

what is the DASH diet
DASH is Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. It can lower blood pressure.

DASH is fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, fish, and poultry. It has me eat foods high in calcium, potassium, and magnesium. These help lower BP. It also restricts sodium intake, as sodium raises BP. I still have to have some sodium to help with hydration, nerve, and muscle function.

Again I might have a fine BP, but it always reads high at the Dr office/dentist/etc because I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Anxiety raises BP. Stress raises anxiety. Medical visits raises anxiety and stress. You can see the viscous circle. So I have to get a BP monitoring device to check it regularly at home when I'm not anxious. This will give the Dr a better look at how I am on a normal day when I'm not worried about getting poked and prodded. However, the BP cuff makes me a bit anxious also when it starts squeezing my arm. If I do it everyday that should stop though.

I might not need the DASH diet if my BP is normal. I'm not a fan of meds though, so I'm doing the DASH diet anyways to hopefully not need any. Everything helps.