Are you still happy?

This period of time that called “new normal” where a face mask is a must, maintaining social distancing and many more just to keep yourself protected. This really gives me a depressed feeling deep inside. I am tired of being this way. How are you guys dealing with this kind of situation, are you still happy?

Ozric

This period of time that called “new normal” where a face mask is a must, maintaining social distancing and many more just to keep yourself protected. This really gives me a depressed feeling deep inside. I am tired of being this way. How are you guys dealing with this kind of situation, are you still happy?

I've found mostly that apart from wearing masks, life is almost as normal. I go to work, I go shopping, most day to day things have stayed the same.

Granted you can't go to the pub or restaurants, but I wasn't massive on going out to the pub to start with, I miss going for meals though.

But, I think the only way that me and the Mrs are getting through, is to just try and look forward to things getting better and being able to get out the house more.

Getting a drum kit has certainly made things more bearable for sure.

Keep ya chin up dude, things will get better!

Old PIT Guy

Regular Poster
It's all a bit surreal, that's for sure. I've come to not mind the mask so much. I get up early to run any errands, and with the mask I don't bother to shower or shave. Mask, ball cap, out the door. But to answer the question, yes. I'm still generally happy. I think it all really depends on whether someone has a natural affinity for solitude or not.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I've found mostly that apart from wearing masks, life is almost as normal. I go to work, I go shopping, most day to day things have stayed the same.

Granted you can't go to the pub or restaurants, but I wasn't massive on going out to the pub to start with, I miss going for meals though.

But, I think the only way that me and the Mrs are getting through, is to just try and look forward to things getting better and being able to get out the house more.

Getting a drum kit has certainly made things more bearable for sure.

Keep ya chin up dude, things will get better!

same here....I am an introvert, so life has not really changed for me in that aspect. I am happy being a loner and doing my own thing. The mask bothered me for about a minute, and then I kept hearing my Marine Corp drill sergeant fathers voice in my head "Get over pal. You are bigger than this, and the good of the platoon is more important than your individual needs". I had a healthy dose of "old school" discipline growing up, so I learned to quickly adapt and adjust to "uncomfortable" things. Also learned that being proactive is better than being reactive, and the mask and distancing are pro active to me

I learned a while ago that anger, "sadness" and "woe is me" are wasted emotions/feelings...especially after my heart attack 3 years ago, I was like: "well, I can't spend the rest of my years getting caught up in negative stuff like that". I have battled depression all of my life, and learning to cope with that has also helped me deal with the current situation.

I am SICK,SICK,SICK of hearing the term "unprecedented times" or " challenging situation"...YES...it is...so get over it...it will always be that way if we keep letting it be that way. I don't want to be part of that demographic, so purposefully pulling my self out of it has helped immensely!

It has also helped that I got bored with, and sick of watching the news...so I stopped. I usually only watch for the weather anyways, but for a time, I was real wrapped up in trying to ferret out "legit" info about COVID, but really just found that any channel is just pushing their profit agenda. So now I just rely on friends who are doctors, biologists and pharmacists...

I am a band director for a living, and all of my schools have been in session, but with the proper protocols, so I have been able to keep some of that normalcy as well thankfully. So far, no school related COVID cases...they have all been due to bad choices away from school.

I have also been able to find comfort and distraction in my drumming, bike riding and reading as well.

I would tell you to do the same: get away from the news, and get into things that make you feel like you are in control. All of the "numbers" and information is inaccurate anyways in the present...we won't know the true numbers, amounts, percentages for 3-5 years, so don't get wrapped up in all of that

Last edited:

Icetech

Gold Member
"Still happy"? That's an odd question.. i have not felt happiness in about 20 years, i don't think i have the capacity for joy anymore. That being said.. the lockdowns have been a massive boon... i still work my 70 hours a week but there is much less traffic and i have an excuse to not be near other humans.. it's been win/win...

Obviously i would much rather have had this never happen though.. and wouldn't mind having some dead friends back... but they made their choice.. ("It's fake.... i will never wear a mask!") all that.. life rolls on :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm trying. I have generalized anxiety disorder, and it's pretty bad. I naturally worry/stress about everything, so this pandemic is only degrading to my mental health. I dont mind being stuck at home at all. I worry about my wife who works at a grocery store. The tv constantly reminds me about the pandemic. It has me horrified about my own health. I've had quite a few panic attacks since march. Instead of sitting here ruminating in it, I'm trying to keep myself busy. Besides alcohol and nicotine, I have now removed caffeine from my diet and replaced it with herbal tea. Lemon/ginger in the morning, chamomile/lavender in the evening. Surprisingly, I feel like its helping. It might be psychosomatic, I dunno. I've been calmer since i started drinking it.

As for the mask, I dont like wearing it but do. I'm not opposed to the mask itself. I'm just not a fan of wearing clothes (more or less) on my face. It feels weird. The straps get tangled with my glasses arms. My glasses fog up. My beard keeps the mask from fitting around my chin. Plus I like being able to see people's nose and mouth. It's the one stipulation that I hope goes away when this is over. The 6' "social distancing", I'll keep that.

Hang in there folks. This too shall pass.

someguy01

Gold Member
This would assume I was happy before, and that's a fat maybe. As for currently, I am actually happier. I don't like people all that much and now they are being told to stay away; I've always had to defend my personal space as I don't like people touching me at all (hand shake, high 5, hand on shoulder, etc.) now they have to keep their distance (remember this and ask people before you make physical contact, I am not alone); and as I've stated before I enjoy the mask as it adds another level of anonymity to my life.
I don't drink, so never went to the bar anyway. I have rather exceptional cooking skills, so I save money and eat at home. I never liked the movie theater, it's a disgusting germ fest full of idiotic and obnoxious teenagers. So yeah, the "new normal" is preferred for this guy.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I never liked the movie theater, it's a disgusting germ fest full of idiotic and obnoxious teenagers
I dont eat out for similar reasons. I dont like people touching/dealing with my food. I dont know them, if they washed their hands, if my food was dropped on the floor*, they spit in it, etc. I trust very few people to prepare my food.

*I've worked in 5 restaurants. Dropped food has been served more than once in each. Keep that in mind next time you eat out.

someguy01

Gold Member
I dont eat out for similar reasons. I dont like people touching/dealing with my food. I dont know them, if they washed their hands, if my food was dropped on the floor*, they spit in it, etc. I trust very few people to prepare my food.

*I've worked in 5 restaurants. Dropped food has been served more than once in each. Keep that in mind next time you eat out.
I used to do commercial AC work in the DC/Balt/metro area. Part of our service work was grease traps in several of our national clients among the regular air handler service. I have seen things in very high end restaurants that would make Joey Chestnut stop eating. I am very aware of the unsanitary world behind those kitchen doors and that is also why I never go to specific chains and tend to avoid restaurants in general.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member

I worked as a chef/kitchen worker for 10 years before I taught, and stuff like that does happen...other than the spitting. At least in my situations, I never saw anyone ever spit in food...I did see people get fired on the spot for mishandling the food, and at my second job, our kitchen usually received the highest food inspection score in the city...my boss/chef there was a MASSIVE germaphobe and an ex Army chef, so there was no lee way in how things were done. I learned a LOT about life in that kitchen, and loved every minute of it.

Freewill3

Great thread here folks, I think we're all just trying to carry on. I always tell people I'm lucky to have an indoor hobby. My job (building maintenance) has been uninterrupted, my wife (manicurist) has been stop/start with all the social distancing protocol. As for the masks, no problem. Really miss going to concerts. Living just outside of Chicago, there's always great music of any genre playing somewhere. I've picked up 2 snares, 1 ride and added a 4th conga so I'm happy!

Last edited:

wraub

Silver Member
Just coping through...

Rotarded

I would say I'm content. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wish this pandemic upon anyone, but much of this craziness is actually working to my advantage. In a brief nutshell:

Spending the good part of 30 years in hospitality/customer service, I grew to abhor much of the general public.
My funding for my retirement was far behind where it should have been.

2020 brought:

A lucrative dream-type job with insane perks, outside the public sector, where I have no need to constantly please, or cater to, anyone.
A strategic change in my asset allocation that tripled my 401K account.

My entire family is safe and sound.

Yes, the loss of gigging fun been difficult. But we are still together, and still getting gigs. We just booked 2 more last week, and have one coming up this Saturday.

Wishing all of my drumming friends Happy Holidays and a better 2021!

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
Happy: "feeling or showing pleasure or contentment". This is my take on it. Happiness is a state of mind because of (or in spite of) circumstances.
Am I pleased with the current situation? No way. The bigger question is "Can I find contentment even in difficult circumstances?" I dunno. I may get some pushback and hate for this but...There are so many moving parts to this thing...the emotional separation created by social distancing and masking - eliminating facial expressions, keeping families and loved ones apart, creating division b/w those on opposite ends of the masking/SD spectrum. Some people who were not introverts have become isolated and deeply depressed...not to mention the severe economic impact it has had on so many. It's a cluster***k IMHO. But don't lose heart, you are not alone; there are millions struggling with this exact thing.
BUT having said that, the definition includes showing pleasure or contentment. Sometimes just putting on a happy face can make you feel better. Perhaps Wet Willie said it best:

Last edited:

Hewitt2

I'm actually pretty happy. I get to:

- Spend more time with family & dogs
- Spend more time listening to my vinyl records
- Spend more time working my hands on the pad
- Save a lot of $$ (no gas money, going to restaurants/bars)
- Work on my COVID bucket list (see other thread that I started on this point).

For sure there are trade-offs. But it's important to think of the opportunities and not so much the drawbacks i.e. " how do I come out of this pandemic as my best self?"

NouveauCliche

Well - it's been probably one of the more prolific and fruitful times in my life to be honest.

I used this down time (along with my band members) to record a new album - made some huge contacts and networked on a really neat level - got my health way more on track than it's ever been and same with my finances.

I know I'm in the minority here - but 2020 on a personal level was a banger and we are well positioned to be super busy when things open up.

There's days where I miss restaurants and theaters - but me and my family are happy and healthy and have gotten closer than ever. In a lot of ways this has been a wonderful re-set for us.

I always kind of hate saying all that because it's been the opposite for a lot of people - but it's just true for us.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well happiness is a state of mind and not a state of being. I had to put down keeping up with the science and politics of this pandemic because it was making my state of mind bleak, dark, angry. I hate that crap so I decided to be crazy and stupid so I'll fit in with everyone else that was making me angry ROFL. Naw I tend to be happy most days (my depressive episodes are rare now-I guess it got old just like I did?). I do worry about things I have no control over -so one of my mental masterbatory behaviors that achieves nothing. I try to avoid that-but I'll always be a daydreamer so I guess that's part of it.

ottog1979

Happy/Sad are really two states that need each other. There is no just Happy. Happy & Sad are feelings on a continuum or spectrum of natural human emotions. You can't really feel Happy if you don't experience Sad. You can't truly "feel" just one side of the spectrum. If you feel, you feel it all, the whole spectrum. Attempts at just shutting down the Sad narrow the feeling spectrum and also close off the Happy and the end result is numbness in the bland middle.

I'm similar to SomeBadDrummer. I'd say I'm content and at peace, regardless of the outside world. In this state, I experience both Happy & Sad and it's OK. It's been a long and sometimes difficult path for me to get here and really understand this. Do I miss many of my favorite activites pre-COVID? Oh HELL yes. But I've also found new things to work on and occupy my time and interest in the current world.

A lot of anxiety, depression, anger and frustration can come from wanting things to be different than they really are instead of acceptance of the current state. We are all too hard on ourselves and could all be more self forgiving. Awareness and acceptance are hard earned. But you get better with practice! Keep practicing my rhythmic friends!

wraub

Silver Member
...but have you found that missing drum stick yet?

;) :)

I'm actually pretty happy. I get to:

- Spend more time with family & dogs
- Spend more time listening to my vinyl records
- Spend more time working my hands on the pad
- Save a lot of $$ (no gas money, going to restaurants/bars)
- Work on my COVID bucket list (see other thread that I started on this point).

For sure there are trade-offs. But it's important to think of the opportunities and not so much the drawbacks i.e. " how do I come out of this pandemic as my best self?"