Are these cymbals good?

cantstoplt021

A couple days ago I had to run to guitar center real quick to get a pair of hi hats for recording. I'm pretty new to drums so I don't know much at all about gear. The guitar center guy recommended these used 14inch Istanbul Sultan Series hi hats. He kept saying how good they were and how he's surprised no one has gotten them yet and all that. I'm weary of salesman, but I was in a real rush and I knew that I had 30 days to return them. Are these good hats? I'm not a great drummer yet, but the main styles that I'm interested in are: jazz, funk, hip hop, reggae, blues, some rock (although nothing really heavy). Are these good for that? I also paid 179 for them. Good deal or can I find something better?

Thanks.

Here's some pictures of the hats as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1s6o0w4gxmxljo1/AAAwxt8iMZF6REHUWgicjyv9a

Last edited:
I can only say that they're a reputable line from a reputable company, and that you paid roughly 50% of the new cost, which is pretty normal for a used cymbal. Their youtube videos certainly portray them in a flattering light.

Whether or not it fits your style of music is another matter (you'll find out soon).

I'm sure an Istanbul owner will respond as well.

Istanbul (both Mehmet and Agop) b20 cymbals are in most cases the real deal. There are however so many lines (just like the more popular brands) that its more a question of what fits your preference.

If you like how they sound, they are good hats.

If you don't like how they sound, go around to drum stores when you aren't in a rush and hit all the hihats they have until you find the ones you like.

But in all honestly, I've heard nothing bad about the Istanbul cymbals.

When you move beyond cheap/beginner range cymbals, it really comes down to personal taste rather than "Is X better than Y?".

Is this a good enough deal where I'd be foolish to pass them up or could I do better (or the same) in the future? I don't even have a kit to put these things on I just got them because I needed to record something (the studio kit didn't have cymbals). I don't desperately need the money right now, but if I could return them and find something just as good in the future it would be nice to get the ~200 dollars back right now.

If he sold you a pair of Zildjian Pitch Blacks and touted them as "awesome" then a red flag should've gone up ;)

They're perfectly fine hats. Truth be told, most pro-level hats are going to be fine for most players in most genres. It's not such an insane deal, or a rare enough pair of cymbals, to keep if you need what you paid back.

As for the GC guy's lust for those particular hats – sometimes we find particular cymbals that we really connect with. I've certainly found cymbals like that. Sounds like that guy just really connects with those cymbals.

A couple days ago I had to run to guitar center real quick to get a pair of hi hats for recording. I'm pretty new to drums so I don't know much at all about gear. The guitar center guy recommended these used 14inch Istanbul Sultan Series hi hats. He kept saying how good they were and how he's surprised no one has gotten them yet and all that. I'm weary of salesman, but I was in a real rush and I knew that I had 30 days to return them. Are these good hats? I'm not a great drummer yet, but the main styles that I'm interested in are: jazz, funk, hip hop, reggae, blues, some rock (although nothing really heavy). Are these good for that? I also paid 179 for them. Good deal or can I find something better?

Thanks.

Here's some pictures of the hats as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1s6o0w4gxmxljo1/AAAwxt8iMZF6REHUWgicjyv9a

You did just fine. These specific models are targeting the jazz player since they have a darker pitch without sacrificing stick definition. I am not a fan of guitar center, they rarely have good deals on price for used gear, so you were fortunate to find one priced fairly. They are pro level cymbals, keep the top cymbal felts somewhat loose, just tight enough so there isn't any play in the cymbal when you operate the pedal. If you are new to drumming as your stated, check out some videos on the proper cymbal striking technique if you haven't already done so.

Istanbuls are GREAT cymbals. It all comes down to if you like the sound of them. If you do like their tone, you got a great deal. If you don't like the sound of them then flip em. You should easily get 200 for them. You got a good deal regardless. A new set of hats go for like 300.

Back