Are non-USA Remo heads as bad as people make them out to be?

Right and your kit was still less.

Not sure if your privy, other than kit fixtures, Gretsch isn’t known for hardware.

I could’ve got the BB3 bracket stocked on bass to mount toms, and TH 930 arms, but you know options and stuff.
You play your Pearls and I'll play what I play. I don't know anything aside from what I like. I've had 6 Gretsch kits and never had a problem with their hardware. I don't think your statement is accurate. Ask some other Gretsch peeps and see what they say.

You play your Pearls and I'll play what I play. I don't know anything aside from what I like. I've had 6 Gretsch kits and never had a problem with their hardware. I don't think your statement is accurate. Ask some other Gretsch peeps and see what they say.
Now your calling for backup?
Who’s screaming for/raving about Gretsch pedals, cymbal stands, mount solutions?

If UT came stock in CS dots series I’d play the crap out of them and never bat an eye.

My Gretsch comment just as subjective, though I’d venture more concrete, as the asinine ‘lousy kit head’ hypothesis your trying to make.

Now your calling for backup?
Who’s screaming for/raving about Gretsch pedals, cymbal stands, mount solutions?

If UT came stock in CS dots series I’d play the crap out of them and never bat an eye.

My Gretsch comment just as subjective, though I’d venture more concrete, as the asinine ‘lousy kit head’ hypothesis your trying to make.
Dude, take a freaking xanax or something. I said ask some Gretsch people because I can't see you agreeing with me about ANYTHING! Which is fine. I don't care. If I want to use heads as a gauge to what I'm willing to buy I will. Because it's an easy way for me to separate the budget stuff from the semi-pro/pro stuff.

Give me a set a these and I'll go on tour right now, right out of the box with some Gibraltar 6709 cymbal stands.

I have my own snares, pedals and stuff. All I need is any old Ludwig, DW, Gibraltar 12mm L-arm clamp and I'm gone. Pearl? You gotta have all that proprietary arms and clamps. Hard pass for me.

It’s a Mylar membrane crimped in a ring makes you wonder how it could come out that different. Heck China probably makes the Mylar Remo and Evans use ROFL. But you wonder 💭 does the negative image come from being that bad or just mindset it’s seen as a cheap knock off so has to be inferior. After jumping and trying Remo to Evans , Aquarian it seems they all cycle in quality or just bad luck in buying particular heads-because I’ll be having bad luck with one or other snd change. Do they have a shelf-life? I’d think so if stored in extremes of hot and cold in some warehouse. You’ll find dud heads so I wonder if it’s just statistical over time so random bad luck?

Dude, take a freaking xanax or something. I said ask some Gretsch people because I can't see you agreeing with me about ANYTHING! Which is fine. I don't care. If I want to use heads as a gauge to what I'm willing to buy I will. Because it's an easy way for me to separate the budget stuff from the semi-pro/pro stuff.

Give me a set a these and I'll go on tour right now, right out of the box with some Gibraltar 6709 cymbal stands.

I have my own snares, pedals and stuff. All I need is any old Ludwig, DW, Gibraltar 12mm L-arm clamp and I'm gone. Pearl? You gotta have all that proprietary arms and clamps. Hard pass for me.
I had to google xanax - that’s a hard pass lol.

Listen, I’m with ya buddy, we have preferences all around, some are essentially fine playing stock heads, and are happy with what they have.

It’s a bit snobbish to come off as saying lousy this or that. I honestly didn’t think anything about whether a Remo skin was US or not - it doesn’t matter to me.

All I’m saying is you can’t be so absolute, it doesn’t fair well when you are met with opposition or someone who simply can’t find a means to have something nice, or better yet, with ‘proprietary’ issues such as yourself.

I had to google xanax - that’s a hard pass lol.

Listen, I’m with ya buddy, we have preferences all around, some are essentially fine playing stock heads, and are happy with what they have.

It’s a bit snobbish to come off as saying lousy this or that. I honestly didn’t think anything about whether a Remo skin was US or not - it doesn’t matter to me.

All I’m saying is you can’t be so absolute, it doesn’t fair well when you are met with opposition or someone who simply can’t find a means to have something nice, or better yet, with ‘proprietary’ issues such as yourself.
I definitely have "proprietary issues" ! LOL.

I didn't mean to be snobbish and I know what poor is in that I was at a few points in my life. Everyone should have what they want and enjoy what they have.

I definitely have "proprietary issues" ! LOL.

I didn't mean to be snobbish and I know what poor is in that I was at a few points in my life. Everyone should have what they want and enjoy what they have.
Yessr! I agree and can dig that -

Just because you haven't seen any in the US doesn't mean there are none. To name a few from that era:

Trowa (East Germany)
View attachment 107708

EPOIMI (Soviet Union)
View attachment 107710

KOZMOSZ (Soviet Union)
View attachment 107711

Dezső Dubán (Hungary)
View attachment 107712
View attachment 107713

Medveczky (Hungary)
View attachment 107714

Tacton (East Germany)
View attachment 107715

Tromsa (East Germany)
View attachment 107716

Szpaderski (Poland)
View attachment 107707
I've heard that Amati, Szpaderski, and Duban (these brands at least), are actually quite nice drums. I almost bought an Amati snare drum too - too bad the seller was a bit busy at that time and couldn't arrange it. I heard they were beech with some rather flat bearing edges, seems sort of like Sonor Teardrops on paper (it certainly looked the part).
One of the problem with these is that the companies didn't survive the economical crisis in the 1990s (the influx of good quality imports didn't help either). Some companies making other musical instruments did survive, such as Jolana from Czechoslovakia (where Spector Euro basses are made), Oktava from Russia (GREAT microphones), and Vermona from East Germany (synthesizers).

Most modern drums have nice quality hardwares (as long as it wasn't the company that cut corners intentionally). I like Pearl for their cost-performance ratio, but I don't really like the Masters Maple Gum because, why don't I just buy a Gretsch?

Well at least I now know that everything I've ever owned is a lousy kit. Sweet.
Here I was, totally oblivious that the head chosen by the manufacturer is what denotes lousy or great.
I am now informed. Thanks y'all!

Someguy I don't have high end kits either but I do have a really expensive SONOR snare but it came with SONOR heads-which I gather are from Remo-re-branded. Probably the Remo UT heads are Evans heads rebranded ROFL.

My Ludwig Club Date SE kit came with the Evans equivalent of these heads. That is certainly no "lousy" kit. The heads (although I didn't like) curiously featured much better coating than the "pro"-level Evans heads (G1 and Strata - the UV1 coating is very nice).

My Tama Starclassic came with Evans G2s on the batter side of the toms and that's what I normally use so that's awesome. The reso heads were cheapos though so I replaced those with Evans EC-Resos. Every kit I've ever owned I normally throw out the stock heads or I'll cut them up to make dampening rings or snare straps out of them.

I‘d like the option to choose my favourite head combo when buying upper scale drums. My Pearl MMPs came with clear USA Ambassadors top and bottom. Nice as reso but no use for the batters for me. For the manufacturer it would be no difference if you could spec in your order „clear Emps over Diplo clear“ or whatever heads you want. I‘d wish there was the option to select the desired set of heads at the dealer. They could throw card box protectors overthrew bearing edges in the packaging.
On the other hand if there would have been UTs on it I would have probably changed them out immediately.

I‘d like the option to choose my favourite head combo when buying upper scale drums. My Pearl MMPs came with clear USA Ambassadors top and bottom. Nice as reso but no use for the batters for me. For the manufacturer it would be no difference if you could spec in your order „clear Emps over Diplo clear“ or whatever heads you want. I‘d wish there was the option to select the desired set of heads at the dealer. They could throw card box protectors overthrew bearing edges in the packaging.
On the other hand if there would have been UTs on it I would have probably changed them out immediately.
Noble and Cooley lets you do that.

I've heard that Amati, Szpaderski, and Duban (these brands at least), are actually quite nice drums. I almost bought an Amati snare drum too - too bad the seller was a bit busy at that time and couldn't arrange it. I heard they were beech with some rather flat bearing edges, seems sort of like Sonor Teardrops on paper (it certainly looked the part).
One of the problem with these is that the companies didn't survive the economical crisis in the 1990s (the influx of good quality imports didn't help either). Some companies making other musical instruments did survive, such as Jolana from Czechoslovakia (where Spector Euro basses are made), Oktava from Russia (GREAT microphones), and Vermona from East Germany (synthesizers).

I have an Amati snare. The bearing edges are quite flat you’re right. 6 ply.
I just love the sparkle finish and how cool the hardware is, funky offset lugs , super mechanical throw off and a tension hook instead of butt plate. Giant tone control knob. Just so fun!
F71534DE-22BB-4F0E-9A13-1211E177B04F.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D84B70A-3413-423B-B22C-ECA60097D4DB.jpeg
    3D84B70A-3413-423B-B22C-ECA60097D4DB.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 1
Back