Are Low End Drums a Waste of Time?

It's not whether it's low quality of hi quality-it's how much you pay for it. I like low quality drums -you just don't wanna be cheap. Like them Pearl President's line made of the lowest qualify luan they could find and them charge you a fortune. Yeah baby- I paid $2,000 dollars for this piece of crap Stagg Custom-I couldn't sit down for a week. Yep paying to much for low quality is avant-garde and really cool. They sound better when you pay to much. Just don't be cheap-you can buy low quality drums as long as you aren't cheap. Silly fools. 0e93d347-678b-417c-b139-7e89a16c3880.f147e72f6919821bf472d7ab331e6904.jpegcheap2.png

Last edited:
drums are dimensions
1st
lol
especially the depths
of the 12 the 13 etc; the 20
that's part why MIJ became such 'a craze' (an internet craze) they were jazz (ooops sorry) trad 60s depths..
(and international size (cough not you premier) Easily headed

but ya- attraction start(s) with dimensions 1st, then decide if they are cardboard or particleboard

iow give me a 18 10/12/14 I don't really care in the moment where or how they came from; I can attack.
(or your preferred size(s)
Drums are dimensions

Last edited:
drums are dimensions
1st
lol
especially the depths
of the 12 the 13 etc; the 20
that's part why MIJ became such 'a craze' (an internet craze) they were jazz (ooops sorry) trad 60s depths..
(and international size (cough not you premier) Easily headed

but ya- attraction start(s) with dimensions 1st, then decide if they are cardboard or particleboard

iow give me a 18 10/12/14 I don't really care in the moment where or how they came from; I can attack.
(or your preferred size(s)
Drums are dimensions

Although you have a somewhat different way of stating it, I usually consider sizes/dimensions/configuration first,
then go on to narrow it down from there.

Any chance I get to post this is a good one:

YSC_Death.jpg

Confused Fran Healy GIF by Travis

I guess it depends on what level of gigs one is used to, but there's merit on many levels.

Like Andy said, being able to make them sound as good as possible is a very good lesson.

House kits is the name of the game in som many situations and no, it's not really an option to bring your full kit for a multitude of reasons,. Flying in, there's no time, the venue wants you to use the house kit, and really, if it's a small thing where you're just helping out a bit it's not worth it.

There's also the type of bar where you just really don't want to bring your nicest gear.

Why would you then also have a nice kit.? It's not like it won't get used. Both for home, recording and when you play stages where music is the main thing and there will be no beer spilled on it. A real stage, basically.

I can very much relate to the New York thing the 80/20 guy talks about because all these small venue semi-acoustic gigs also really call for something different. Not necessarily a cajon kit, but something of that ilk. Something that just fits the vibe and works for that situation. All these little gadgets you can use to get different sounds, different utensils, all sorts of stacks and dampening etc.. are all very useful and they also add a bit of charm. Bringing the real kit? What is a real kit?

I own 6 Pearl snares.

3 steel
2 brass
1 aluminum

The one that gets 90% of the playing time is the cheapest one: a Pearl sensitone elite steel snare 14 X 5.5.

Why? I don't know. It just sounds great.

Reactions: I-P
A well made good sounding kit will inspire you to play better, my first kit was a very well made Slingerland kit. .I think it makes a big difference.
Coincidentally, my first kit was a Slingerland too. Of course, horrendous hardware by modern standards, but it sounded satisfying if you could stop it leaping off the stage in pieces!

It’s all in heads and tuning LOl. And the kit doesn’t have real crappy snare and cymbals. If I had 2 grand to spend on entire kit I’d spend most on snare, cymbals, hardware/good seat, and least on low end shell pack of toms and kick.

See , this is where we differ , because you can tune drums but not cymbals.. Making the drums more versatile.. To me that logic is flawed..

Back