Are High End Drums a Giant Waste of Money?

Smoke

Silver Member
You need to post a pic of your re-wrapped Exports. :p
Strangely, they look great and sound even better! Seems that Andy even cobbled together a couple kits for other folks too - who seem to hold them in high regard. I didn't have a set of Exports for the framework and couldn't afford the veneer for the re-wrap, otherwise I'd have a set of Guru drums, too. I might be able to fashion a reasonable facsimile given a donor set of Exports or YSC's and some wood-grain contact paper. ;)

Donkey Boy

Since different people expect different results and because there is no single definition of what drums are supposed to sound like, then there are many different acceptable answers. But I’m guessing it is mostly a case fo diminishing returns.
My drums are now worth loads more than they were . So much for that theory.

Quai34

This^

In the video, he mentions that he has a kit he loves and gigged it regularly, then purchased another kit to replace it for many (most?) of his gigs. Seems to me that the second kit is the giant waste of money and is superfluous.
I agree, why buy something you love to play, to let it at home when you are going to do what it has been made for, being played. I have never bought an extra low end keyboard when I was gigging just to keep all my gears at home, I bring all of them, they are all in super comfy bags, I instal all of them myself so, no risk of being damaged. High end kit are made to provide you a better experience, life is too short to cut that in buying a low end kit to save the high end.... And to say at the end of your life: " Shoot, I should have played my high end kit more, what a waste of money and time!!!"

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Yes, they are…..at least for 99% of the players who own them and judged by the question..: are these drums making me play and sound better..?

But the ones who own them will never admit that ofcourse…because, well, that would look kinda foolish…

But yes, if all drummers (or any other sort of musicians) in this world would be as busy with learning to play as they are with gear, the world would only have top players…

Unfortunately nothing will ever change this…

s1212z

Silver Member
There are two reasons I buy gear I see

1) A musical purpose for that particular gear - This is usually the best reason to buy something and the right tool for the job will generally not be wasteful as long as shopping smart...I don't mind putting extra towards something that will be the right fit for the music behind it.

2) You really just want it, or it was price that couldn't refuse or it was a rare opportunity to own and always wanted to know it's like. These can sometimes be 'wasteful purchases', I try to avoid these whatever the price. No doubt, a nice instrument can be inspirational or sometimes I get something that I want for a project in the future and I that is ok. There are collectors out there...that's cool too but I feel an instrument should be played unless you have something rare or historical

Donkey Boy

Whatever? Context! I believe it's actually about rate of profit . labour , investment etc...... I still have the drums, I enjoy them every time I play them and they have increased in monetary value .. where is it diminishing? this thread is a Yamaha add! plain and simple.. oh sorry, words of wisdom.

Last edited:

Donkey Boy

I don't think Rob has a single video I would call a waste of time.
He made a great point, that if you think you "need" that kit, then it's a huge waste of money. Otherwise, buy what you want because you want it.
he also said his high end kit he got cheap.. but all you'se should get the cheap bread and butter version. funny that.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
I'm kind of sick of this old chestnut constantly falling from the tree.
NO, high end drums are NOT a waste of money.
Two things:
1) Would you benefit from using high end gear?
Ans: Yes, if you are professional and operate in high pressure situations where a 10% gain in performance is important.
2) Can you afford high end gear and find it inspiring to use.
Ans: If so then yes, it isn't a waste of money. If you have disposable income and enjoy playing in front of 20 people at a local bar playing your vintage Gretsch or cameo, then why not, you only live once.
If budget is an issue in your life, and you a beginning professional or part time player, then of course, you can totally get by with an older used kit, or mid-priced offering from the mainstream companies.
In the end, I think most people understand everything I've written above and these topics just get trotted out regularly by YouTubers because it increases likes and clicks and that's what pays THEIR bills.
Could Usain Bolt beat most average runners wearing a t-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes....of course, but he still went with the best training and equipment in his field. All the riders in the Tour de France are basically superhuman, but they still ride top of the range, often customised bikes, they train in wind tunnels, eat specific diets etc.
Gains for top musicians, runners and cyclists are small percentages, but if they can be had they are worth it.
You don't need a small advantage to have a decent career playing pubs and clubs.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
He made a great point, that if you think you "need" that kit, then it's a huge waste of money. Otherwise, buy what you want because you want it.
It's a video designed to spark a lot of clicks and likes, hence more income for his channel.
Some people DO need the best of the best. It's a nonsense point unless he prefaces it with 'average drummer', which of course he doesn't because he doesn't want to insult his viewers.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Whatever? Context! I believe it's actually about rate of profit . labour , investment etc...... I still have the drums, I enjoy them every time I play them and they have increased in monetary value .. where is it diminishing? this thread is a Yamaha add! plain and simple.. oh sorry, words of wisdom.
You're starting to sound more and more like Darth Vater/drumsallday:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Donkey Boy

Yeah I eat with my eyes and pay through my nose... and you're view on this thread is? I believe you said play what makes you happy, that's what I said .. and?

Last edited:

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
Yes, they are…..at least for 99% of the players who own them and judged by the question..: are these drums making me play and sound better..?
I disagree with the guessed figure of 99%.
Also, if you are paid to play drums, yes, high end equipment often does make you sound better, and if you are inspired and enjoy playing high-end gear, then you WILL play better.
It's a bit of reverse snobbery going on.
Attempting to paint anyone who owns high end drums as delusional.

Last edited:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's nice, but there's also depending on where you live and play, a reality.

Even if you bring your own stuff for the gig this will be how many rehearsals are done.