Are High End Drums a Giant Waste of Money?

People buy what they want or can afford- I don’t see an issue or reasons for such scrutiny.

So what was the issue of gigging with the phx?

This^

In the video, he mentions that he has a kit he loves and gigged it regularly, then purchased another kit to replace it for many (most?) of his gigs. Seems to me that the second kit is the giant waste of money and is superfluous.

All I can say is that anyone who needs to buy (and maintain!) a professional quality violin, flute, bassoon etc. is looking at us drummers green with envy.
5.000 bucks for a top-of-the-line instrument? They wish.

I for my part am having lots of fun with inexpensive but well made drums. Not in the market for anything high end. To anyone who is - go for it, life´s too short.

I bought a Stage Custom drum set 15 years ago. Previously owned, actually. With Zildjian A's and K's. I'm a basement dweller who no longer gigs. They suit me fine. Could I have spent more? Yes, a lot more. Would an expensive drum set make me a better drummer? Doubtful. Unless they spark my enthusiasm and cause me to practice more. Would owning a Bentley or a Maserati make me a better driver? Would expensive 'anything' be a waste of money? Only if I didn't appreciate the extra expense in some form or fashion.

Just buy high end drums used. I bought them new, but opportunities are out there.

I started with Rogers used, common drums. They were ok for starters with some tuning and adjustment challenges.
At 3 years of playing in 1993 I bought a lifetime kit. Premier Signia. Finding a bass drum soft bag that fits is the hard part.

There's also the question of how many drums do you want. A full pack is pricey, but if you're good with 12-14-18 you can probably swing it no matter what you get.

I think what makes this question so interesting and difficult to answer is the fact that lower-cost kits can have amazing quality! I opened for a major country act several months ago. His drums? Gretsch Catalinas, and they sounded great! My “beater” kit is a set of Pearl Visions, and the edges, hardware, and fit and finish are darn-near flawless. They sound and look fantastic!

I think you need to find drums that speak to you. Those Visions are great, don’t get me wrong; however, they don’t speak to me the way my Ludwig Classic Maples do. The same goes with my Black Beauty snares. My Visions help me through gigs, but the CM’s, BB snares, and my Heartbeats make me want to play them and become a better player.

If I can feel the same with cheaper drums, I’ll sell what I have and buy those instead.

Since different people expect different results and because there is no single definition of what drums are supposed to sound like, then there are many different acceptable answers. But I’m guessing it is mostly a case fo diminishing returns.

Even if a person can afford anything... (know anyone like that? I don't..)
Doesn't justify it
That falls under the more money than brains
(I still don't know anyone like that)
I like the struggle/ work / wait Daydream about it to be sure/ and save/ approach to getting 'your hi end set.
And as a near once and done lifetime event.

Last edited:
No, serious people know that if you need a tool, get it. I'm cheap, or thrifty but I live by a saying. "Some things are worth spending the money." Just some things. Not a lot of them. Not half of things. Just some things.

As you get older you will meet more and more people who can buy anything they want, or anything that makes sense.

I built those drums to be played. I built those drums with a distinctive manner of delivery in mind that I can’t replicate elsewhere, & if anything happens to them, I’m in the unique position of being able to repair them.
Built??? Re-wrapping some Pearl exports isn't exaclty "building" in my book. And those cymbals???? Covering the Zildjian ZBT label and writing a different with a black marker does not make them sound any better. The 37 dollars you investing in "building" all of this really shows!

Even if a person can afford anything... (know anyone like that? I don't..)
Doesn't justify it
That falls under the more money than brains
(I still don't know anyone like that)
I like the struggle/ work / wait Daydream about it to be sure/ and save/ approach to getting 'your hi end set.
And as a near once and done lifetime event.
Well dayum, that means my life peaked 12 years ago and I didn't even throw a party. (sad face)
I guess the positive flip to this is I have enough money to buy something else, even if I don't need it...LOL

I just don't understand this philosophy of struggling with every aspect of life. And settling for the bare minimum.

But then again I chose a profession that gives me a good work/life balance, financial security (so I can randomly spend money on things), and the freedom to do whatever I like with music.

easy come easy go maybe

and by struggling I don't mean Losing a Limb , selling an organ or eating cardboard for supper.. just........
waiting to strike
(years giving lasting serious thought

Last edited:
I think he's basically right:

1. No, you don't NEED a high end kit to play gigs.
2. Yes, you might WANT a high end kit because, well, they're cool.
3. Realize it's the player, not the kit, that's going to ultimately be important.
4. Spend money on cymbals and snares.

No reason to peak too early..
But nice to peak at least once
in all
Cymbals. snares, stands, drums,
categories
while you have some playing years left
46 (2002 year) I was in Peak Cymbal territory- continued on to this very day
54 (2010) I achieved peak for me drum set- still have it at 66.
Still my ultimate can't think of another.
Sometimes I think of topping it and can only come up with ---zip----
it wouldn't even be a lateral-sideways- move..

Last edited:
Back