Are DW Pedals bearings permanently sealed, or can they be lubricated?

vyacheslav

Greetings,

Believe it or not, this is my first foray into DW pedals. I picked up a used 3000 series single pedal for a good price,

Whenever I get a used pedal, I clean it up and relubricate the bearings and the heel plate hinge. I remember hearing that DW bearings are "sealed" and shouldn't be lubricated outside the factory. Is it ok to re-lubricate them as I normally do?

Pardon my ignorance on this; I just wanted to be sure before I do something I'm not supposed to.

may want to pinch a squirt of Liquid Wrench in there to revitalize "the Lube"..
can't hurt ....
Getting them out I dunno if that's possible or/ what could happen there/ Just spritz em
probably have a bunch of cat hair in em
lol

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't take the bearings out on pedals when I clean them. I just use a small Squirt of Tri-Flow lubricant.

sometimes just a re-lube and a re-torque will do

Last edited:
IIRC, DW's Delta bearing assembly (which are easy to identify because they're red) are sealed at the factory, though I cannot confirm that. Regardless, since 3000-series pedals don't use that bearing assembly, I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that they're not sealed. Unless of course the previous owner upgraded the bearing assembly to a Delta, which I've seen done before.

dw-dw-delta-ii-pedal-bearing-hinge-dwsm1207.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I set it up on a kit today and after a little spring tension adjustment it feels great to me as is, so I'm just going to leave it for now.

There is no such thing as a permanently sealed bearing. The caps can always be removed to add lubrication.
I've been doing it for decades when replacing failed bearings in equipment. IME most "sealed" bearings have about 3 little dabs of the cheapest grease you can find in them and it will sling out or degrade in no time.
End of PSA.

Last edited:
I highly recommend replacing with the sealed hinge… the stock ones on the 3000 eventually wear, loosen up and get noisy…
and yes, you can also lube them up, and should… it’s maintenance after all.

I use a dry lube (like what you'd use in locks) so as to not attract dirt that might grind away parts. I have the 5000 Accelerator doubles and this has been a great go-to for keeping them speedy & fluid.

Back