Anyone own a Ludwig Pewter plated Copperphonic?

incrementalg

Gold Member
I reall like what I’ve seen and heard on YouTube. Anyone own one? Anyone compared to the regular copperphonic in person?

Attachments

• 04BE8F26-B1B4-4733-97BB-BFA90A4A4A91.jpeg
    04BE8F26-B1B4-4733-97BB-BFA90A4A4A91.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 12
I reall like what I’ve seen and heard on YouTube. Anyone own one? Anyone compared to the regular copperphonic in person?

I bought one and returned it.

Its an absolutely great snare. Its just, I didn't notice a huge difference between it and my Raw Copper Phonic that I already own. Its really nice to look at though but at the end of the day, its different, just not different enough for me

I bought one and returned it.

Its an absolutely great snare. Its just, I didn't notice a huge difference between it and my Raw Copper Phonic that I already own. Its really nice to look at though but at the end of the day, its different, just not different enough for me
That's the problem now with the marketplace. Manufacturing is more toward appearance than actual sound. You say the raw copper phonic sounds basically the same as the pewter version but good golly the pewter looks nice. I fall into that "trap" as well. I owned 20 snare drums once. Most were bought because I liked the way they looked even though they didn't sound any better than what I already owned. Or I bought a snare because I didn't have a Gretsch and surely you need to have one from each of the big manufacturers. No more. I now have 5 snare drums that don't duplicate sound or looks. That's enough, although I still am attracted to that Monomeoki wood stave shell with volcanic crystal inlays. Oh and that extremely rare, one and only, hard to make snare drum made from (liquid) mercury, touted as the ultimate for use in toxic metal bands. I'm sorry, what was this thread about?

Last edited:
That's is the problem now with the marketplace. Manufacturing is more toward appearance than actual sound. You say the raw copper phonic sounds basically the same as the pewter version but good golly the pewter looks nice. I fall into that "trap" as well. I owned 20 snare drums once. Most were bought because I liked the way they looked even though they didn't sound any better than what I already owned. Or I bought a snare because I didn't have a Gretsch and surely you need to have one from each of the big manufacturers. No more. I now have 5 snare drums that don't duplicate sound or looks. That's enough, although I still am attracted to that Monomeoki wood stave shell with volcanic crystal inlays. Oh and that extremely rare, one and only, hard to make snare drum made from (liquid) mercury, touted as the ultimate for use in toxic metal bands. I'm sorry, what was this thread about?
I’m with you. I only have two snares now and want one with a darker, drier tone. I’ve been leaning towards a copper shell and really like the copperphonic tone. I can’t tell if I hear an discernible difference between the pewter and regular ol’ copperphonic, or if I’m hearing the color of pewter.

I’m with you. I only have two snares now and want one with a darker, drier tone. I’ve been leaning towards a copper shell and really like the copperphonic tone. I can’t tell if I hear an discernible difference between the pewter and regular ol’ copperphonic, or if I’m hearing the color of pewter.

There is a difference. I used Remo vintage Ambassador’s on both. But it’s pretty subtle.

It’s only 30 bucks more so if you prefer the limited for 2020 badge of the pewter then go for it. I just happened to like the rustic look of the OG copperphonic better and the sound was in the same ball park.

I wish I would have kept some of the recordings I made of it .

I’d personally rather own a bronze phonic than the pewter over copper though

There is a difference. I used Remo vintage Ambassador’s on both. But it’s pretty subtle.

It’s only 30 bucks more so if you prefer the limited for 2020 badge of the pewter then go for it. I just happened to like the rustic look of the OG copperphonic better and the sound was in the same ball park.

I wish I would have kept some of the recordings I made of it .

I’d personally rather own a bronze phonic than the pewter over copper though
The bronze is definitely a contender.

You're "hearing" the pewter through your eyes. Copper snares are nice. A little dry but fantastic sound. Bronze is also nice as is brass.

That's is the problem now with the marketplace. Manufacturing is more toward appearance than actual sound. You say the raw copper phonic sounds basically the same as the pewter version but good golly the pewter looks nice. I fall into that "trap" as well. I owned 20 snare drums once. Most were bought because I liked the way they looked even though they didn't sound any better than what I already owned. Or I bought a snare because I didn't have a Gretsch and surely you need to have one from each of the big manufacturers. No more. I now have 5 snare drums that don't duplicate sound or looks. That's enough, although I still am attracted to that Monomeoki wood stave shell with volcanic crystal inlays. Oh and that extremely rare, one and only, hard to make snare drum made from (liquid) mercury, touted as the ultimate for use in toxic metal bands. I'm sorry, what was this thread about?
I know exactly what you’re saying John, I got by with one snare for nearly 10 years, now I “feel” like I need to add to my collection of 5 snares with 2 more...but in reality do I really “need” any more? :unsure:

Back