Anybody play the Sabian Sabor Picante hand cymbals?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I have ordered a 16”, I really like the sound of the 16” and the 18”. I’m planning on using the 16” as a top hihat and crash on low-volume gigs where I play with my hands and brushes.

I have a sabian 13" El Sabor splash AA series. I like a lot as a crash. I tried pairing it up with some other 13s for hats but was just too thin. Your hand cymbals might be different than mine.

I have a sabian 13" El Sabor splash AA series. I like a lot as a crash. I tried pairing it up with some other 13s for hats but was just too thin. Your hand cymbals might be different than mine.

I just got my 16”. It’s surprisingly low-pitched. Super-thin edge, you really can crash it with your hand.

I didn’t even know there was a 13” version, I just ordered one on Reverb. Hope I like it.

I've got the 13" AA El Sabor splash and picked up the 16" AA El Sabor crash barely used from an old bandmate. I don't use them often because I'm afraid of cracking them due to the upturned edge. I like them a lot for situations where I want that sparkly top end in a lower volume situation without sounding gongy.

They're definitely more for stick use, though Sabian used to market them as easily crashable with both sticks and hands. I always wanted to check out the picante hand crashes, but I really don't play hand percussion enough to justify going down that route. Your review has me re-intrigued, though!.

I do not own them or played them, but Jojo Mayer used the 18" before het developed the Omni's with Sabian.
There are some older vids on YouTube where he uses them and explains his setup. Prefer the sound over the Omni's, but that's me ;)

Back