Anybody Own or Play a British Drum Company Set?

I'd buy drums from the British Drum Co. just for the lugs. I love the look of their lugs.

That's what I always noticed about the last Generation of Premier.. I don't think most drummers even knew about what they were making

71sVdciFfWL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

My local store carries them and they do look very nice... but then they really should for the prices they're asking. Way out of my league.
They obviously share the DW-esque marketing philosophy...... '3000 year old Bog Oak with Palladium hardware and 24 carat gold tension rods' :rolleyes:

https://www.britishdrumco.com/britishdrumco-the-duke-snare-drum
They don't seem obscenely priced IMO, on par with Ludwig/DW/Sonor as far as pricing. Like you however, still out of my price range. Should there be a magical influx of money, I might be forced to treat my self.

I'd buy drums from the British Drum Co. just for the lugs. I love the look of their lugs.

View attachment 109514

View attachment 109515

Oh yes, the palladium hardware is very very stylish. I regret the fact that s there’s no « real » tom suspension though. A lot more holes in the shell than my old Premier.

i would be happy being offered this :
with a Bluebird snare :)))

Last edited:
Oh yes, the palladium hardware is very very stylish. I regret the fact that s there’s no « real » tom suspension though. A lot more holes in the shell than my old Premier.

i would be happy being offered this :
with a Bluebird snare :)))
Looks like internal suspension to me, like Ludwig Atlas or INDe.
The only thing that bugs me a bit with them is the lack of finish choices. I used to have the same concern with the new Chinese Yamaha RC's too... It seems it's difficult to get a birch kit with a 'classic' (read: pearloid) finish these days. :(

Good to hear!
It kinds of makes me wonder though, is it possible to 'snatch' a Genista kit out there? Kind of like how we still see stray Ludwig Centennials out there.
There is a US importer currently, Ross Musick, who has had a few of the reissue ones in recent months. What isn't clear is the future of any of these relatively low level distribution deals in a variety of countries, as supporting them goes directly against G4M's business model.

My local store carries them and they do look very nice... but then they really should for the prices they're asking. Way out of my league.
They obviously share the DW-esque marketing philosophy...... '3000 year old Bog Oak with Palladium hardware and 24 carat gold tension rods' :rolleyes:

https://www.britishdrumco.com/britishdrumco-the-duke-snare-drum
To be fair that's very much a one off. Most of the gear is similarly priced to everyone else's at the same kind of quality level.

They just have simple tom mount screwed with thick rubber gasket.

Attachments

• 857F65C6-9C34-47FF-A917-561E41964653.jpeg
    857F65C6-9C34-47FF-A917-561E41964653.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 8
Looks like internal suspension to me, like Ludwig Atlas or INDe.
The only thing that bugs me a bit with them is the lack of finish choices. I used to have the same concern with the new Chinese Yamaha RC's too... It seems it's difficult to get a birch kit with a 'classic' (read: pearloid) finish these days. :(
Totally agree. The finish choices leave me flat. I reached out to BDC directly and asked them about it. They said they could do another finish, if I wanted, but I would have to go through a dealer. We haven’t talked specifics because I’m still researching things. But yeah, I really don’t like their standard finish options.

What I question is the use of plies that are less than 1mm thick. To me, an non-wood worker, it seems any glue would affect the wood vibrations.

"...constructed from 10 ply 100% Scandinavian Birch, cross laminated and cold-press moulded into a shell only 6mm thick."

My local shop (that I work at on occasion) has been a BDC dealer for a number of years and I have had the opportunity to try the majority of their snares and kits out . I have also been able to inspect them pretty thoroughly as well . The drums are well made , I question some of their finish choices and lack of gloss lacquer finishes (this is being changed now ). The lugs are very Art Deco looking and very attractive . The bearings edges are very well done and the shells have no gaps in where the plies join . Both the all birch and birch/mahogany lines sound very good . Would I buy a kit ? No , but that is only because I like other brands more . This is no slight against BDC , just long term affection for some other brands .

All due respect Mr. Bozozoid, the British Drum Company is a company that makes drums. Presumably in Britain somewhere :p

He's not taking about a British made drum, he's asking about a specific company called British Drum Company.
And here I thought Premier drums changed their name to British Drum Company.

UPDATE-- I talked to Drum Center of Portsmouth and they said that BDC will be offering new finish options in "...a couple of months". So, this definitely piques my interest a bit more. Their current finish options were really holding me back, so I'm curious as to what changes they will make.

UPDATE-- I talked to Drum Center of Portsmouth and they said that BDC will be offering new finish options in "...a couple of months". So, this definitely piques my interest a bit more. Their current finish options were really holding me back, so I'm curious as to what changes they will make.
I just checked their website and they seriously upgraded their website along with available finishes.

Back