Anybody Own or Play a British Drum Company Set?

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I have a British Drum Company snare that I love and it has got me to thinking about their drum sets. Does anyone own or regularly play these drums?

I played a 6 piece Signia kit for a decade. Beautiful emerald green set with the best chrome plating around (other than the bass drum claws). Bass drum was killer..10 12 and 14x16 hanging floor were mediocre..the 12x14 was beyond PHENOMINAL.

I played a 6 piece Signia kit for a decade. Beautiful emerald green set with the best chrome plating around (other than the bass drum claws). Bass drum was killer..10 12 and 14x16 hanging floor were mediocre..the 12x14 was beyond PHENOMINAL.
All due respect Mr. Bozozoid, the British Drum Company is a company that makes drums. Presumably in Britain somewhere :p

He's not taking about a British made drum, he's asking about a specific company called British Drum Company.

All due respect Mr. Bozozoid, the British Drum Company is a company that makes drums. Presumably in Britain somewhere :p

He's not taking about a British made drum, he's asking about a specific company called British Drum Company.
Hey!...i thought I told you guys when I signed up not to make me look like an idiot!. I did that myself!?..shit!. I'm havin an extra beer this afternoon..this is bad and now I'm the forums Barney fife...frikkin great..im not eating for 3 days now. British drum (COMPANY)..got it.

All due respect Mr. Bozozoid, the British Drum Company is a company that makes drums. Presumably in Britain somewhere :p He's not taking about a British made drum, he's asking about a specific company called British Drum Company.

Yes, that is correct. I am specifically looking for any input from people who own or who have played a drum set made by British Drum Company. (Not just a drum set made in Great Britain/UK.)

Hey!...i thought I told you guys when I signed up not to make me look like an idiot!. I did that myself!?..shit!. I'm havin an extra beer this afternoon..this is bad and now I'm the forums Barney fife...frikkin great..im not eating for 3 days now. British drum (COMPANY)..got it.
Lol priceless remark! I missed the idiot memo but from now on I won't publicly correct you anymore. I stopped at moron so I never sunk to idiot, just sayin....So, sorry about that Chief

I'm glad I didn't embarrass you lol.

Barney Fife lol. I'm gonna have to call you Barney from now on. Na Na Na Na Na! :p

Barney's Fife and Drum Corps.

Legitimate name I'd say

Lol priceless remark! I missed the idiot memo but from now on I won't publicly correct you anymore. I stopped at moron so I never sunk to idiot, just sayin....So, sorry about that Chief

I'm glad I didn't embarrass you lol.

Barney Fife lol. I'm gonna have to call you Barney from now on. Na Na Na Na Na! :p

Barney's Fife and Drum Corps.

Legitimate name I'd say
I’ve always enjoyed the taps from Barney’s theme.

Yes, that is correct. I am specifically looking for any input from people who own or who have played a drum set made by British Drum Company. (Not just a drum set made in Great Britain/UK.)
ive played one of their kits before, the bass drum was MIGHTY!! the toms sung beautifully as well <3 but that was a 20/12/14 setup, i want to play one in 24/14/18 setup sometime

IIRC BDC IS the re-incarnation of Premier (R.I.P). Keith Keough left Premier (R.I.P), demolished two factories (or warehouses? I can't remember) back there, and started his new project at BDC. I wonder where did the workers of Premier (R.I.P) go?

IIRC BDC IS the re-incarnation of Premier (R.I.P). Keith Keough left Premier (R.I.P), demolished two factories (or warehouses? I can't remember) back there, and started his new project at BDC. I wonder where did the workers of Premier (R.I.P) go?
I was under the impression that there was some sort of connection from Premier to BDC too. 🤷‍♂️

I was under the impression that there was some sort of connection from Premier to BDC too. 🤷‍♂️

That is what I understand too, but they definitely use a different method for forming the shells. The snare drum I own is fantastic. I mean, it sounds excellent in a variety of tunings and with head combos. That's what got me thinking about their sets.

I've played a couple at a few drum shows. Beautiful drums with a very expensive price tag attached to them!

They're made by ex-Premier master builders as far as I know. I'm not sure what quantities they're produced in. They're kinda boutique but not boutique.

Not quite. Keith originally ran KD Drums near Manchester. They were bought out by Premier who moved them about 20 miles up the road (further from Prem's head office than KD had been). Keith and crew then made what were fundamentally KD drums with Premier badges (One Series, later iterations of Modern Classic kits and snares etc) for a few years as Premiers top level offering, whilst Prem were still sub-contracting Jinbao to make Elites, Genistas, APKs etc for them in China. Keith never made shells for Premier using Premier's own classic techniques (undersized shells etc), they were all to his own design as Premier had no design capability by that point.

When Premier yet again got into trouble Keith et al bailed out. He was then bank-rolled by a UK comedian called Al Murray, who's a decent drummer himself, and BDC was formed. The only employees that Premier had in the UK by that point, other than the owner and one or two admin people in Leicester, worked further north for Keith, they stopped all other UK warehousing, manufacture etc in 2012.

Many of Keith's staff still work for BDC as I understand. Premier still exists, but has circled the drain for the last 5-6yrs, it was owned by a businessman with no music industry background and made significant losses. The name was recently bought by Gear4Music, which is really a UK equivalent of Thomann with only one retail store, at its HQ in York but a large international online presence. They intend to use Premier as their house brand for drums, so I wouldn't expect anything of any real quality to appear again, that's not the market G4M are in for their own label stuff.

All BDC stuff is top end, there's no budget/intermediate lines and in reality they're successors to KD Drums rather than Premier, as the Keith Keogh built Premiers were really KD Drums with a different badge.

Last edited:
This guy does and he sure loves 'em :

I heard one of their birch kits being tapped on at DCP and was really impressed by the tone and build quality.
Had I not already owned a Sonor kit, these would have convinced me to buy a BDC birch kit.

Last edited:
Not quite. Keith originally ran KD Drums near Manchester. They were bought out by Premier who moved them about 20 miles up the road (further from Prem's head office than KD had been). Keith and crew then made what were fundamentally KD drums with Premier badges (One Series, later iterations of Modern Classic kits and snares etc) for a few years as Premiers top level offering, whilst Prem were still sub-contracting Jinbao to make Elites, Genistas, APKs etc for them in China. Keith never made shells for Premier using Premier's own classic techniques (undersized shells etc), they were all to his own design as Premier had no design capability by that point.

When Premier yet again got into trouble Keith et al bailed out. He was then bank-rolled by a UK comedian called Al Murray, who's a decent drummer himself, and BDC was formed. The only employees that Premier had in the UK by that point, other than the owner and one or two admin people in Leicester, worked further north for Keith, they stopped all other UK warehousing, manufacture etc in 2012.

Many of Keith's staff still work for BDC as I understand. Premier still exists, but has circled the drain for the last 5-6yrs, it was owned by a businessman with no music industry background and made significant losses. The name was recently bought by Gear4Music, which is really a UK equivalent of Thomann with only one retail store, at its HQ in York but a large international online presence. They intend to use Premier as their house brand for drums, so I wouldn't expect anything of any real quality to appear again, that's not the market G4M are in for their own label stuff.

All BDC stuff is top end, there's no budget/intermediate lines and in reality they're successors to KD Drums rather than Premier, as the Keith Keogh built Premiers were really KD Drums with a different badge.
Good to hear!
It kinds of makes me wonder though, is it possible to 'snatch' a Genista kit out there? Kind of like how we still see stray Ludwig Centennials out there.

Hmm. Cold-press molds.

I just never see the Premiers or BDC or Canopus or Sakae in my neck of woods- which just feeds my curiosity. You can fake anyone out on a video as nothing replaces our in person sensory experience. Finally got to play a Brady and that was only one I’d seen around here. I think the Drummer for Bean Jovi plays a BDC? LOL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 6.48.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 6.48.27 AM.png
    428 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back