Phil Ehart

Got introduced to them with their Audiovisions album. Wasn’t aware of a new album. That’s great. Will have to check it out.

I've seen them twice, great band, great drummer. I counted them out when Steve Walsh left, but I will check out the new album!

Kansas... Long time fan of the band.
Each member brings a special sumpin sumpin to their very unique sound. And there's a few band changes... again.
Ehart's percussion constantly amazes me and thank gawd, he has been the catalyst to keeping the band going. He now manages the band.

Anyway, Kansas just released their latest project "The Absence of Presence".
I've given it a couple listens and very delighted they still have it. They went through some roller coaster times, but Absence of Presence brings them back to new music, retaining that classic songwriting they became know for.

I was planning on seeing them this summer... but we all know how that goes.

Love the band. Love the music. Just doing a shout out for their new release.

71lO7YnOUjL._SY355_.jpg

I have to admit - I'm only into Kansas as far as "Carry on..." etc....so not really a fan - but that song is awesome haha.

Any recommendations on prime Kansas albums to enjoy?

I have to admit - I'm only into Kansas as far as "Carry on..." etc....so not really a fan - but that song is awesome haha.

I think their first 7 albums are all real good the first one entitled Kansas is a must hear. All of their early albums are great though. Masque might be the most overlooked album. Pull them up on iTunes or similar app. Kansas, Masque, Song for America, Point of Know Return, Leftoverture they're all great

I have to admit - I'm only into Kansas as far as "Carry on..." etc....so not

Carry On and Dust in the Wind are radio friendly. They have a few other like that. And they definitely brought in some new fans. While the shorter hits are great, I prefer the progressive longer pieces.

You might like their most successful album Leftoverture. It did well for a reason. Hits and just excellent song writing through and through. In their peak form and timing.
I would then suggest diving into Masque and/or Song For America.

If you want to just try one, check out their Leftoverture Live & Beyond. It will provide all the songs they are known for with old and new fans alike.

Funny I listened to the first 2 tracks of Lefoverture just this morning ((; I like that album very much.

I am not NouveauCliche but I'll listen to Live and & Beyond, thanks for the suggestion Macarina and for talking about very good music too!

Kansas' first 3 albums are included in my all time favorite albums. (Kansas (self titled) Song For America, Masque) I love them all the same.

Leftoverture is good. Point of Know Return is good. But the first 3 really get me.

Phil is a big influence on me, so yea, big fan. What a great live show they had in the 70's. Steve Walsh was pretty amazing.

I listened to the absence of presents their new album today it was pretty darn good.

Audio-Visions is the album that I really tried to master first in middle school. I always felt, at the time, that all the other ones were way beyond what I could do. It became my most fav album b/c I heard it so much.

I got out of them around Drastic Measures...it seemed like they were really losing focus by then.

Drastic measures and vinyl confessions the band was going through some drastic changes. Steve Walsh did not sing on either of those albums a guy named John Elefante did. Audio Visions has some great material on it I really like no one together and there's a couple of others also that really get me moving

Drastic measures and vinyl confessions the band was going through some drastic changes. Steve Walsh did not sing on either of those albums a guy named John Elefante did. Audio Visions has some great material on it I really like no one together and there's a couple of others also that really get me moving

I really liked Vinyl Confessions, and didn't mind Elefante on that album, but then it started becoming the weird soapbox to the Evangelical Christian stuff in the mid 80's, and while I can overlook lyrical content, the music started to really become bleh...

I really liked Vinyl Confessions, and didn't mind Elefante on that album, but then it started becoming the weird soapbox to the Evangelical Christian stuff in the mid 80's, and while I can overlook lyrical content, the music started to really become bleh...
I think Audio Visions, vinyl confessions and drastic measures what are the albums with some strong Christian lyrics. I bought the power album after drastic measures and started losing interest then. Since then I have picked up several albums between then and now and they're okay the not near as good as they're really stuff. I think Karry and Dave left the band after drastic measures and Steve Walsh returned. Steve Morris was with the band for a while you can sure tell his guitar work on the albums he played on.

Last edited:
Steve Morris

Steve Morse. Of Dixie Dregs and now Deep Purple.

I love me some Kansas. That Greatest Hits album hit me at a young age, and Steve Walsh in his prime is still my favorite singer of all time. Masque is one of my favorite records, start to finish. Phil Ehart's no slouch either. That pattern in The Spider (on Point of Know Return) is all sorts of wild left-side lead.

I think Audio Visions, vinyl confessionals and drastic measures what are the albums with some strong Christian lyrics. I bought the power album after drastic measures and started losing interest then. Since then I have picked up several albums between then and now and they're okay the not near as good as they're really stuff. I think Karry and Dave left the band after drastic measures and Steve Walsh returned. Steve Morris was with the band for a while you can sure tell his guitar work on the albums he played on.

yeah...Steve W had his rebirth around that time. I forgot about Power...my first GF got me that cassette for my BD...it actually was not that bad...might have to listen to that tonight

Not a fan, as in obsessed, but the bass player came from my county in Tennessee.

Dave Hope? Sweet!! He is one of my influences!

Back