Any else use wood beaters?

The square beater has a larger impact area than a standard round beater . It has more oomph and moved more air . IMHO it feels better to play . I also use the Danmar Zoro Square felt beater as my everyday beater .
Dang, not cheap! But I do think I'm better off getting a heavier beater and the Danmars are quite liked.

I've been using Danmar red wood beaters since the mid 80s. This Christmas I received a couple of Trick Dominator aluminum light weight beaters. I still use the wood playing with my bands though. At home my pedals are set up quite different than my gig pedal.

I use the Yamaha wood beaters with my FP9, loads of attack. I don't use a Falam Slam with it though, as my drum shop friend told me the wood beaters can crack the plastic in them and send that through your head. My new Hybrid Oak came with an EQ patch on the stock Remo batter and the wood beater has ripped the patch to shreds. Won't bother getting a patch on my EMAD when I have worn this head out.

I use the Yamaha wood beaters with my FP9, loads of attack. I don't use a Falam Slam with it though, as my drum shop friend told me the wood beaters can crack the plastic in them and send that through your head. My new Hybrid Oak came with an EQ patch on the stock Remo batter and the wood beater has ripped the patch to shreds. Won't bother getting a patch on my EMAD when I have worn this head out.
Take a look at my photo above. That’s on a 2-ply head! I bought a Remo falam patch after the fact.

I have used only the stock beater that comes with my Tama Dyna Sync Pedal. I was thinking to try another one but there is so many choices, I'm lost. I like good attack and good thump, not that much big boom and thus, I put my two mics to get that, never thought of changing the beater, more changing the positions of the mics.
So, if I want to experiment, could you give me 3 top quality beater that will really make a big difference with the beater that I already have?

I used a low boy wood and low boy leather beater. They are quite nice when you need that extra volume and articulation

I have a crap ton of beaters. Beaters change the sound and feel so much.

I have a DW wooden beater that comes with a wool cover as well, I have another that’s shaped like a mallet and then I have 2 low boys.

Personally think people should have a small collection of different beater materials as they truly can make a difference.

Another reason I like Yamaha’s Flying Dragon pedals.

They have a memorylock for the beaters.
Tama has them for their beaters, but they don’t fit the Vic Firth shaft 😭 (I use a small strip of gaffer‘s tape wrapped around the shaft).

I have the Red Danmar beaters, and I really love them, but they would immediately dent my kick heads. I even tried doubling up on the Remo Falam Slam kevlar patch and using a super thick double ply head. Still dented the head on first use!!

I've gone back to using the hard side of the DW beaters, and actually cover them with a thin piece of leather to soften the click a little.

I have the Red Danmar beaters, and I really love them, but they would immediately dent my kick heads. I even tried doubling up on the Remo Falam Slam kevlar patch and using a super thick double ply head. Still dented the head on first use!!

I've gone back to using the hard side of the DW beaters, and actually cover them with a thin piece of leather to soften the click a little.
What if you covered the wood beaters with thin pieces of leather, would that work?

I have 2: I plain, wooden ball for my foot bell & a Low Boy with a leather patch. The Low Boy gives me a punch like no other!

Back