Any else use wood beaters?

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
What if you covered the wood beaters with thin pieces of leather, would that work?

Maybe? Not sure if that will keep the beaters from denting the head or not. It could be the shape of the beater and the angle at which it strikes the head. I've been thinking about using the square wood beaters, they seem like they would strike more like the DW ones, and I never dent heads with those.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Found the old Danmar beater I had in storage. Picked up some fresh moleskin patches. Man, I forgot what a poweful sound this produces on the 24"

_DSC0174-2.jpg

Last edited:

drumnut87

Silver Member
yep, i use two gibraltar red wood beaters, yeah theyve dented my superkick 2 a little bit, but with the aquarian kickpad doing its job, my bass drum has never sounded so powerful! :D

Kim Barti

After playing the factory DW beater for over 25 years, I decided to try a Danmar wood beater with a remo flam slam patch. I really love this combo, so I ended up buying another wood beater for my home kit.

Anyone else use a wood beater?
Danmar round red wood best beater ever

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I really have the urge to buy a red Danmar beater and also one of those dragonfly leather ones.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Dragonfly leather, it’s firm with weight and I like the balance, not too slappy but hard. I’m into having no internal muffling and a drum beater now, and then having the external muffler control the front and or back head…the flexibility and dynamics have been a revelation

I really want to try this but it seems a little small up top. Would you say that they are as loud as something with more mass up top? I imagine it being very light feeling, but I don't know

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
Hey CM what kind of material is that red stripe on? It looks softish. Is the top light, medium or heavy?
The core of the beater is elastomer, which I believe is composed of rubber, and the exterior, including the red stripe you mention, is felt. The feel is solid but light. The design is geared toward improving shock absorption and emphasizing low-end response rather than pure attack.

Here's the link on Pearl's website. Scroll down the page, and the B300F Control Core Felt Beater is the first entry you'll see. If you decide to try one but don't like it, I'll be glad to buy it from you.

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
I have a ton of beaters in my collection but most use the aluminum dominator beater from trick.

But a while back I bought a DW wooden beater that came with a wool cover.

Man I started using the wooden beater 2 weeks and I love the way it sounds. And it feels good. I have 2 LowBoy beaters that sound great but I can’t get used to the feel

Benthedrummer

After playing the factory DW beater for over 25 years, I decided to try a Danmar wood beater with a remo flam slam patch. I really love this combo, so I ended up buying another wood beater for my home kit.

Anyone else use a wood beater?

Yes, I use the Vic Firth wood beater on my right pedal and a plastic Roland beater on my left pedal.

The Vic Firth beater went right through my drum head at rehearsals one night.

So I changed to an Evans EMAD2 clear and have never had a problem since.

I still use the same combo today.

I love the click and attack....but still gives low end too.

RVN

I bought a red Danmar back in the eighties and have used it for years. The only time I busted a head was with a heavy, very dense black hard rubber one... I don't remember who made it, I thought it was Danmar. That one was a killer beater. I went back to the red Danmar wood after that. Nowadays I use hard felt, the ones that come Yamaha pedals.

GMS_Fan

Right now I am using the Innovative Percussion KDB-3 Brooks Wackerman beater.

Jasta 11

I was using an innovative percussion tomahawk for about a month. It was just a little too light weight for a good thud. That was the only wood beater i have tried.

A Talldog

I played a wood beater back when I played heavy metal (and a 26 inch bass drum). Sounded great.

I strongly recommend you use a square beater and adjust your pedal so the beater face strikes your drumhead flat.

I used a Remo black dot bass drum head. The only padding I used was a thin square of Dr. Scholl's moleskin (to prevent clicking; it did nothing to protect the head). Never had a problem with denting or breaking a head.

BTW, I did dent a head with a round wood beater. That's the reason I went with a square one.

BTW2, the size of the beater head should be matched to the size of the drum. I've played 26, 24, & 20 inch bass drums. The larger bass drums required a larger beater, but using a beater that large on the smaller drums sounded awful. As the bass drum gets smaller you need to downsize the beater head size as well.

A Talldog

I have the Red Danmar beaters, and I really love them, but they would immediately dent my kick heads. I even tried doubling up on the Remo Falam Slam kevlar patch and using a super thick double ply head. Still dented the head on first use!!

Use a square beater.

The round wood beaters focus all the energy at one, tiny point. A square beater (with a flat face) will spread the energy out.

It is important to adjust your pedal so the beater strikes your head flat.

jda

Always thought (wood . I have one) potentially too brutal either in volume or to the Head itself; I like the big older round med hard Felt beater
80s Japanese (Tama Superstar era) were slightly larger than what came with a Ludwig Speed King. Can still find the Japanese one (stamped "Japan" on top washer)

Just found a spare near "new" $5 on ebay

beaterfelt.jpg

that's me my style.

Last edited: