...and then there were three

wraub

Gold Member
Hi all, been a minute.
I have posted here previously about me having 7 snare drums and thinking about getting rid of some. Well, I have, and have only three snare drums remaining.

This was partly economic, partly just because I didn't need so many, and partly to reduce the group to the most useful from what I had.

The survivors-

Yamaha Tour Custom Maple 14"x5.5"- Crack, pop, and some grunt, all wrapped in an attractive maple shell.

Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 14"x5"- Not fancy, not special, just a great sound that records well too.

Ludwig Club Date SE 14"x6.5"- Crack, pop and grunt with a deep fullness. This is my main snare drum, for reasons.

Maple, aluminum, and a sweet gumwood/cherry combo. Covers a lot of range, not expensive, and less clutter and stuff. Works for me.

Hi all, been a minute.
I have posted here previously about me having 7 snare drums and thinking about getting rid of some. Well, I have, and have only three snare drums remaining.

This was partly economic, partly just because I didn't need so many, and partly to reduce the group to the most useful from what I had.

The survivors-

Yamaha Tour Custom Maple 14"x5.5"- Crack, pop, and some grunt, all wrapped in an attractive maple shell.

Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 14"x5"- Not fancy, not special, just a great sound that records well too.

Ludwig Club Date SE 14"x6.5"- Crack, pop and grunt with a deep fullness. This is my main snare drum, for reasons.

Maple, aluminum, and a sweet gumwood/cherry combo. Covers a lot of range, not expensive, and less clutter and stuff. Works for me.

that is a pretty good combo to end up keeping!!!

wish I could do some "decluttering" around here, but the pack rat guy always comes out and says "ehhhh, you might need that some day..."

damn him!

Thought this might be a new "P.T." discussion....

that is a pretty good combo to end up keeping!!!

wish I could do some "decluttering" around here, but the pack rat guy always comes out and says "ehhhh, you might need that some day..."

damn him!
It does feel good reducing the clutter and refining the gear to as little as possible. Also, as you said, it's a pretty solid trio.
I still have enough clutter to not worry about running low.

There might 7 snares here now, but I only play about 3. Another drummer here has 20 or so.

I really envy drummers that have dozens of snaredrums and love them all. I hear a sound in my head that only comes from ONE drum..finding it is a bi---!.

Last edited:
I hear that sound from other drummers more than from my snares. Went to watch a local band and said to someone that the snare sounded like a Ludwig. It has that classic recorded sound. Turned out it was a Black Beauty. That's the guy with 20.

Back