Odd pedal mechanism

jda

Diamond Member
my +/- official multi topic random thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you think this 'mechanism' will get in the way? asking for a Friend.

s-l1600.jpg

This could be an 'all things Odd & French thread"

Last edited:
Last edited:
don't know andser to your Q, but one's bass drum hoop will sure gets skewered over time by that sharp ended spike holding it in place.
the pedal reminds me of the 1970's citroen 2CV

The idea is there. It's not a good one, but still shows some forward thinking. Two springs working in opposite directions isnt much different than the current one spring working in two directions.

Drum pedal design is cool but baffles me sometimes. By 1920 we had the internal combustion engine and fully automatic firearms. Yet somehow a quality lever/pulley mechanism eluded us for decades.

It looks like it would scrape the batter head. However, turning it straight up would snag a pants leg and just overall be in the way.

Yikes.

In the 70s, many pro drummers in France played Capelle pedals. Especially the hi-hat pedal with the same board, and I played one for a few years myself, but I don't have it anymore.
The problem with this bass-drum pedal is that there's a real risk of injury with that thing that holds the springs, as the screws are a little sharp. Since it also serves the purpose of changing the inclination of the beater, it will end up pointing towards the drummer, and I remember getting hurt when playing one myself. There's also a real risk to ruin your pants.
As a piece of history it can be ok, but I wouldn't play it.

Last edited:
We're going to switch to a free form topic now steered on occasion by me. Continue at Your own ; ) risk.
it will be musical and if you add anything/ keep it musical/

Last edited:

Wise man

Last edited:
Capella was distributed by Fibes at one point.

Yea I've changed direction of thread

On Topic. I still have a Capelle hi hat stand.. it's good stuff.. metal footboard.. On other topic, You know they called Jazz Jazz because the prostitutes in New Orleans wore Jasmine perfume. Don't believe me? ask Louis Armstrong.. Using discarded instruments from the Civil war became the instruments of Jazz. correct me if I'm wrong.. initially a Funeral March.. yeh.. I have been told I play with a West African influence so Jazz is comfortable with me although I've rarely played the style for any great reason..324511188_3348607552064810_7059345226336987341_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jda
We're going to switch to a free form topic now steered on occasion by me. Continue at Your own ; ) risk.
it will be musical and if you add anything/ keep it musical/

I see your jazz audience and raise you a mosh pit:

The look on the singers face at 1:45 says it all.

you think this 'mechanism' will get in the way? asking for a Friend.

s-l1600.jpg

This could be an 'all things Odd & French thread"
I used to (might still?) own one of these. You can adjust the spring mechanism so that it tilts further back. Not a terrible action on these either.

Evidently, Bill Bruford is/was frequently asked:

Why do you play so few concerts in France?

Bill: It has proved all but impossible to find the right promoter to put on some French gigs. There is a rich irony in that France has traditionally been generous to those of the jazz persuasion, and comes with an excellent circuit of Maisons des Cultures, but somehow Anglos seem “interdit”.

Jass. You are correct and well educated
, You know they called Jazz Jazz because the prostitutes in New Orleans wore Jasmine perfume. Don't believe me? ask Louis Armstrong.. Using discarded instruments from the Civil war became the instruments of Jazz. correct me if I'm wrong.. initially a Funeral March.. yeh..

Back