Alternative to Apple/iTunes?

danondrums

Hi All - What music playing software do those use who don't use Apple/iTunes?
I've had too many issues to keep going with this garbage platform any longer.

Edit: Mandatory - Solution must be able to contain and manage MP3's and Wav files and store my library of music.

Last edited:
I like Pandora. It's free, but you can get a subscription which removes ads and allows you to build playlists and listen offline. You basically type in a band/artist/song, and it tries to play music that is along the lines of what you put in. It isn't perfect, but I would say 90% of the time it does a great job. I've come across so much good music I wasn't aware of using Pandora. And if it does make a bad choice or play a song you don't like, it has a thumbs down feature and won't play it again.

I like Pandora. It's free, but you can get a subscription which removes ads and allows you to build playlists and listen offline. You basically type in a band/artist/song, and it tries to play music that is along the lines of what you put in. It isn't perfect, but I would say 90% of the time it does a great job. I've come across so much good music I wasn't aware of using Pandora. And if it does make a bad choice or play a song you don't like, it has a thumbs down feature and won't play it again.
Isn't that just a streaming service or will it store and play my own digital copies of music?

Isn't that just a streaming service or will it store and play my own digital copies of music?

It's just streaming. I'm not familiar with iTunes, so wasn't really sure how it works. For stuff I already have, I use a Sony mp3 player.

Are Apple/iTunes files mp3 or something different? If it's different, I'm really no help. Never had any Apple stuff.

I am also looking alternative for iTunes on Mac. Winamp is great but its for Windows. (well apparently there is some version for mac, but not the same quite, and not downloadable from genuine winamp site.)

I've been considering trying to switch. But I have a huge amount of music on 3 Ipods, at this point I don't know if it makes sense for me. The "Apple Music" subscription stuff, I HATE IT. It just gets in the way. They are hard to contact. I hate some of these big companies that basically make you jump thru flaming hoops for a couple hours before you can even find a phone number.

I use Plex at home. I run a Plex server on a Mac mini with a NAS. I have all of my music, movies, and TV shows. It is available remotely and has iOS and Apple TV apps. It is free to use, but you get some better features by paying for a Plex Pass membership.

I agree. Apple has ruined iTunes.

My 25-year old daughter uses the paid version of Spotify ($10/month) and loves it. What she likes is their mix algorithm provides her with new music that she likes. iTunes only served up popular tunes, no hidden gems.

If you just wanna play music from a server or CD, try VLC. It's an open source program with nice features.

I use Plex at home. I run a Plex server on a Mac mini with a NAS. I have all of my music, movies, and TV shows. It is available remotely and has iOS and Apple TV apps. It is free to use, but you get some better features by paying for a Plex Pass membership.
Loads of lads at my work use Plex or Kodi to manage their media libraries. Films, Pictures, Music. They really recommend it.
Plex has a companion app, so if your main computer is online you can stream your music via your phone wherever you are.

You could try Amazon Prime Music. Yearly subscription, and not nearly the repeats like Pandora. I just replied to a Pandora email about one comedy channel that I hadn't visted in a year, and the routines have not changed.

You could try Amazon Prime Music. Yearly subscription, and not nearly the repeats like Pandora. I just replied to a Pandora email about one comedy channel that I hadn't visted in a year, and the routines have not changed.

I'm a Prime member. . .I like taking advantage of the FREE music. I have yet to dive into the subscription thing. As a former DJ, I have SO much music. I'm not sure of what's the right way to go at this point personally. It's nice just to say, "Alexa, play Prog Rock" and there it is.

I too have used an iPod Video V5.5 for years to hold most of my music collection. I absolutely refuse to obligate myself to buy into a streaming service and rely upon someone else to ensure they have all the obscure music I tend to listen to. I want to control and be in possession of my music collection. I want to listen to an entire album if I want to instead of jumping around all over the place. Sure there are times when I want to shuffle. I have playlists for that or I can just put my ipod on shuffle. I would rather spend my money on buying cd's or downloading the entire "album" and add it permanently to my collection than pay for a service for the rest of my life that may not survive more than a few years. Call me bitter. And yes, I play vinyl in my house.

If you're a Mac user, there simply isn't a better tool to keep all devices synchronized than iTunes. All others just make a mess. Plex is likely the best 3rd-party bet. As a Service, Spotify is my favorite. Very few repeats and a large song library.

If you're a Mac user, there simply isn't a better tool to keep all devices synchronized than iTunes. All others just make a mess. Plex is likely the best 3rd-party bet. As a Service, Spotify is my favorite. Very few repeats and a large song library.

I have to admit Plex sounds interesting. I'm going to have to check it out. I'm wary but open minded.

I do have some Mac products (Apple TV, iPhone, ipad) but am trying to move away from them. It will be a long process as we have many home features that are helpful with HomeKit, but they aren’t as reliable as I’d expect, hence the desire to migrate away.
I’ll be checking out Piex for sure.

I do have some Mac products (Apple TV, iPhone, ipad) but am trying to move away from them. It will be a long process as we have many home features that are helpful with HomeKit, but they aren’t as reliable as I’d expect, hence the desire to migrate away.
I’ll be checking out Piex for sure.
My first attempt in a long time to go back to Android with a Sony TV. The weekly reboots are a pure reminder of why I went to Apple in the first place. Nothing like watching a movie half way, then being forced to reboot, before watching the rest! No sure what OS I'd like. The previous Sony had their native OS and it suuuuuuucked. My Samsung Tv's OS suuuuuuucks. There just aren't any good options at the moment and same for media players, unless you're on Windows. Plex bites hard every so often too and I can't get it to do anything without few swift virtual kicks. Now, as for me, I deal with those, but my wife....nothing worse than that tech support call in the middle of a business trip. Apple is locked, expensive and annoying. Their stuff keeps the women from getting into a panic fit and that's worth every penny, so no transitioning for me for a while.

I finally gave in to Spotify after the headphone jack on my 180gig 3rd gen iPod - with about 5000cd's worth of music on it - gave out. I can find no one who will fix it...

Via Spotify, I have access to way more music, but not much of my personal stuff over the past 35 years that were just demo tapes; one off projects; my college band stuff; tons of drum corps stuff...

I do really like Spotify now that I use it. We have the family plan subscription. I have heard that the artists make no money off of it though...is that true?

I might look into the Flex thing as well...

Back