Alternative bass drum spurs on '65 Ludwig

Drum factory direct makes spurs like that as well.

Have you tried an old school bass drum anchor? Gibraltar makes those too. These might help give you a bit more lift at the front (reso) side, but it will NOT work if the reso side is already off the ground.

Another thing I have done in the past is, on the replacement spurs you linked to in you original post, is to unscrew the rubber foot, cut off the sharp spike up to the point where the threading starts. I then JB Welded a coupling nut onto the remaining threads, about halfway into the coupling nut. I then took a long hex head screw the same thread size as the coupling nut and JB Welded that into the other side of the coupling nut. Use a long screw so you'll have plenty of length; you'll be cutting the head side of the screw off anyway. Then, it's just a matter of cutting the hex head screw to the height that works for you. Once the screw is cut off to the proper height for you, I simply just put a regular rubber tip on the screw, like you would use for a floor tom leg.

Not a "quick fix" but it's pretty easy to do and is inexpensive as well. It's worth a shot. You can always go back to the original spurs if you want.

anyone make adjustable/length Gull wing spurs
of the right diameter or change the brackets too.

I have "no complaints" with these Gretsch factory Gull wings
I used to have a set of 60s Ludwigs like you speak of

gretsch BKsII 047.jpg

may want to modernize your brackets along with the/
I'd go ahead and do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jda
You are sure about this? The 18/20 spurs are longer?
Positive. I have a pair on my '69 Super Classic 22". They give plenty of lift.

20220211_092158.jpg

Drums on SALE gives a good description:

Ludwig replacement spurs for Legacy & Club Date bass drums. 10.5" long (measured from the angle to the tip) for use on the current Club Date 18" and 20" bass drums. Will also work on 22" and 24" bass drums if you are looking for a longer spur. 9.5mm (3/8") diameter for use on modern as well as vintage drums. Spiked tip and includes rubber foot.​
* If you are putting these on a vintage drum or a brand other than Ludwig please check that the length will work for you. The placement of the bracket on the shell will determine the proper spur length - lower mounted brackets will require a shorter leg.

I have those DW spurs that mount on the rim. They work for me pretty well.

Yes, Gibraltar or Dixon anchor (this one is cheaper but does its job) is a must to prevent bass drum creeping.
But please don't make extra holes to install new legs 'cause we, The Committee for the Preservation of Vintage Drums will be knocking on your door with a warrant for your arrest!!!

So I take it those spurs
Hi,
My go to kit is a '65 Ludwig Champagne sparkle kit. I'm looking for some alternative spurs for the kick that kan provide more tilt/angle. I do read about others getting these things custom made. But I also see that both Ahead and Gibraltar makes vintage spurs with the right diameter, has anyone tried these products? Ahead vintage bass drum spurs: https://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Ahead-Vintage-Bass-Drum-Spurs/1WPM
you’re looking at are the 9.5mm width? I’d double check that since it has to fit your existing bracket. Another thing I’d recommend is replacing your old brackets with new Ludwig ones. The new ones have a notch in them for a memory lock (that Ludwig also makes). So you can set the spurs how you like and the set up will be the same every time because of the lock.

Or, if the hole spacing is the same size, you could try the gull wing spurs DW uses on their Frequent Flyer kits - those definitely give you the extra height you want, and also come with memory locks too.

Yes, Gibraltar or Dixon anchor (this one is cheaper but does its job) is a must to prevent bass drum creeping.
But please don't make extra holes to install new legs 'cause we, The Committee for the Preservation of Vintage Drums will be knocking on your door with a warrant for your arrest!!!
No need for arrests:) I would not dream of making extra holes or any kind of modifications to the kit (besides longer gull wing legs) These drums are completely original, with the original COB snare delivered with the kit, and in excellent condition.

So I take it those spurs

you’re looking at are the 9.5mm width? I’d double check that since it has to fit your existing bracket. Another thing I’d recommend is replacing your old brackets with new Ludwig ones. The new ones have a notch in them for a memory lock (that Ludwig also makes). So you can set the spurs how you like and the set up will be the same every time because of the lock.

Or, if the hole spacing is the same size, you could try the gull wing spurs DW uses on their Frequent Flyer kits - those definitely give you the extra height you want, and also come with memory locks too.
Thanks for the advice, I'll double check the width of the spurs. I will take a look at the new Ludwig brackets and the DW option, but I will not replace anything if it means extra holes or any such kind of modifications.

Thanks for the advice, I'll double check the width of the spurs. I will take a look at the new Ludwig brackets and the DW option, but I will not replace anything if it means extra holes or any such kind of modifications.
If I recall correctly, the Ludwig brackets are a 2” hole spacing, which I think DW adopted as well, but I’m not sure.

Back