Also - while we’re at it - your metal snare drum does not sound “woody”

Toy Story Goodbye GIF

Who cares? If a metal snare drum or a 20” bass drum makes someone happy and the band they play in likes it, that’s what matters. The drummer in my current band uses an 18” kick and a Supra. He used my Ludwig set with a 22 last week and a Tama Superstar maple snare that came with the set he usually uses. Know what it sounded like? Him.

sitting at a kit metal grates on my ears unless they're cymbals.
I don't like the timbre difference with the rest of the wood set.
I'd consider some thin light airy Dunnett snare but only because (of) it's simulation to wood So why (bother).
20s Brass famous Ludwig snares were great. When the rest of the set had minimal or no (maybe tacked head Chinese Toms)

Just saved myself $672

When a snare drum is coming through a P.A., it can be pretty hard to tell what kind of drum it is. A few times I've heard my 20" kick coming through a P.A. and I've wondered if the sound guy was using it to trigger samples because the sound was so different from what the acoustic drum sounds like.

I don't know if anybody could listen to a P.A., without seeing the drums, and recognize that I'm playing a Supraphonic Snare and 20" kick. I think the room and what's happening at the board might shape the sound more than my hardware choices.

Who cares? If a metal snare drum or a 20” bass drum makes someone happy and the band they play in likes it, that’s what matters. The drummer in my current band uses an 18” kick and a Supra. He used my Ludwig set with a 22 last week and a Tama Superstar maple snare that came with the set he usually uses. Know what it sounded like?
Did anyone note that 100% of the non-drummers in the audience, can't tell the difference?
My girlfriend can tell. I blindfold her when we go out to hear bands. If she fails then she doesn’t get coffee or breakfast the next morning.

It took a while, but so far she can definitely get a Supra if it’s low and sloppy. She missed it when it was tuned tight, her guess was a Sensitone. Dumb blond …. But she got the Radio King, and this one guy’s vintage Premier. I gave her an extra waffle the next day for that one. She gets close on the Gretsch snares, usually guesses Sonors. She nails the honk in the black beauties, even I get that one wrong occasionally.

Nobody brought up the audience because they don’t really matter in these kinds of conversations. Otherwise we’d all play Tama Swingstars, wouldn’t we ?

Back