Advanced Drumming

If you are looking at being a professional(making your living) musician...

I wish I would have learned general music theory when i was younger...not just music theory of rhythm.

I also suggest cross training on other instruments.

Consider voice training as well.

Learn about business as any performing musician is essentially running their own.

Exploit university music departments if you have one locally.(a great place to find teachers that can line you up for a post-secondary education in music - or just give quality education)

Keep your ego controlled and your attitude positive...keep your word and do not promise what cannot be kept...no one wants to work with someone they cant stand for extended periods(e.g. Sting and Vinnie)

Playing drums well is ONE piece of playing for a living....and even just ONE piece of playing with other musicians.

Check out Tommy Igoe’s YouTube and socials, he has a free 100 day course that’s excellent. That free course is better than many paid ones

Tommy is one of the best drummer/teachers in the world.

He will lead you down the right path

how about this?

like, really play it....not just copy it

this was one of the first songs I tried to learn back whe I was real young - like 6 or 7 years old. .I am now 53, and have still never really played it..I can play the notes, but that is only 20% of it. i have even done it live with a few bands over the years, and it was good, but it wasn't "legit"

same thing with this....

the trick is to get "legit"

Let's see.. started at 5 years old .. doing the math.. you are 16 now and looking for ways to improve your playing ability. I got thrown off by the 'I can play anything' yet have no knowledge of other drummers, technique or theory.. yet you have grade 8 Trinity college (I'm guessing it's similar to a piano grades system?).
Find a good teacher, learn to play covers of music and drummers you like and find a band..
anything as in most of the songs I have heard of. That is why I posted this so I can have great suggestions and know where I actually stand. Yeh it is similar to piano grade system.

My best advice is to get out there and cut your teeth doing gigs. Learn to play with other musicians, how to handle yourself in good and band situations and how to be cool to hang with. You're young and by the sounds of your post you're in the look how fast I am phase. Been there, seen it done it and got the t-shirt like a lot of us here.

You'll progress to technique from here and then last but most importantly taste.

I studied moeller technique which sets you up to play for pain free for life but there's lots of amazing technique teachers out there that will bring the same outcome.

Also learn what the pocket is and get in it. You'll never be short of a gig if you can sit in the pocket and hold everything together for the rest of the band.
Thank you for the advice! I will keep this in mind.

Let me throw this one in:

Seriously, You can play anything but know zip about styles. That's a contradiction. E.g. you can play left foot clave technically but don't master the style, then you can't play it. It's music first... Not? So you know what to focus on....
Yes, I needed some advanced stuff and guidance , which I got from this thread. Thanks a lot, I will try out this one too!

I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of time learning double bass Metal unless it's an actual interest to you and maybe you want to go all in on Metal for a time.

I see a lot of gigging bar cover bands locally and only 1 has a guy who plays much double bass. His dynamics are way intense but now he triggers everything and to me it's still not as appealing of a sound as compared to several other drummers with nothing but a kick mic. He's a passionate and polished heavy player, though. They got complaints of too much volume from club owners.

If you can master Jazz playing or Metal double bass playing you're doing something marketable and above the level of most drummers. My opinion is a master Jazz player is seen as more versatile to people hiring and paying, unless it's a Metal job. The master Metal guy has a skill not many can touch, and it's fun but mastering a simple half time shuffle is something many bar band drummers never bother learning and still get to play all they want. Metal guys around here do limited shows and lots more personal recording.
Great advice. I will hang on to it !

Ironically, it is stupidly easy to write something complex. It's far more difficult to write something that stimulates brain along with heart & soul on a high level that makes musical sense. Bruford had a great quote, something to the effect, if both Max Roach and a common listener could dig his music, he is probably doing something right. Something I've tried to keep in mind....really, what my musical end goal here for this time investment? Does the concept excite me? Sometimes you have to compose a musical space so support a complex drum concept in order to have some validity.

Ironically, it is stupidly easy to write something complex. It's far more difficult to write something that stimulates brain along with heart & soul on a high level that makes musical sense. Bruford had a great quote, something to the effect, if both Max Roach and a common listener could dig his music, he is probably doing something right. Something I've tried to keep in mind....really, what my musical end goal here for this time investment? Does the concept excite me? Sometimes you have to compose a musical space so support a complex drum concept in order to have some validity.

church!!!

This is the Holy Grail of drumming or sure

many people can check off some those boxes simultaneously, but few have ever checked them all off at the same time

ohhh...I know one that cost me some 'life road-rash' to figure out...

Music taste is subjective...and is owned by the listener...there is no objectivity to a piece of art being 'good' or 'bad'.

Not liking a piece of art is your own limitation as a listener....not a function of the writer/performer.

But I haven't learned theory and I have 0 knowledge about drums styles and techniques.
You might study music theory. A keyboard might be helpful for learning scales and intervals. Keyboards often come with about 100 drum styles. Play along with them, learn the styles.

Back