A Modest Proposal...

JustJames

Platinum Member
To avoid drive by posts, how about a system where a member can't create a new thread until they have a (small) number of posts to their name.

This would prevent drive by postings.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
That also prevents genuine enthusiasts from coming in to ask an important question.

opentune

Platinum Member
Some drive by posts can also lead to good discussions amongst all who contribute....and even a little bit of healthy chiding and humour.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Are "drive-by" posts really a problem here on DW? I guess you would have to look at the statistics for member activity and see how many users have less than 5 posts and how long they have been a registered member. If there is an alarming number of members who fit in this demographic of "drive-by" then perhaps a rule could be instituted. But my guess would be that there is a rather low number of people who post a question and only respond to their one topic then leave for good.

Icetech

Gold Member
I have never noticed any drive-by's honestly.. at least not to the point it's annoying.. i find that alot less annoying than on other forums where they celebrate anytime you hit a big post count which just encourages useless posts... like most of mine :)

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
We get a lot of drive-bys in the 'Your Playing' section, proportionally at least. There are some very funny threads in there.

Magenta

Platinum Member
That also prevents genuine enthusiasts from coming in to ask an important question.

Yup. And we are nothing if not tolerant, are we? Up to a point.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
IDK it feels like this is a drive by thread too. James, bare minimum, you really must make a 2nd appearance, so no one can label you with the H word.

:p

I don't have a problem with drive by threads. That's just some people's style. I don't even mind when someone makes multiple threads about the same topic. That has entertainment value too. Room for everyone and all. The people who post in the your playing section almost exclusively, looking for props, but giving nothing to anyone else, that annoys me, but that's my issue.

Gruntersdad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
My issues with drive by is one of manners. You are asking a forum of many people a question, getting multiple answers and opinions and I feel the OP has some obligation to come back and at least say thank you. In the Your Playing Section, many of those are posted to be seen and not judged , or no questions asked, and I have no problem with those. However if people do comment I feel you own them a thank you as well.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Geez Larry...remember I'm sleeping while you're awake...give a guy a break!

My suggestion related not so much to posters who are contributing members who start a thread and don't reply in it. I'd assume that they read but had no further comment. My suggestion relates to posters who sign up, start a thread (which is usually of the "I need help with..." variety) and then disappear, never to be seen again. I've seen a few of these in recent weeks, and find them a tad annoying.

Let's face it, there's very little that comes up here that a spot of Google-fu won't unearth, so I don't really buy the new member with an urgent question approach.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Yup. And we are nothing if not tolerant, are we? Up to a point.

It's not so much tolerance, as just being a good community. There have been a few forums where my first post was a new thread to ask a question. It would have been silly for me to make small talk just to meet a minimum of posts before I could start a thread.

I don't find the small amount of drive-bys to be an issue.

Bermuda

cbphoto

Platinum Member
Simply choose to ignore them if you want. Nothing wrong with that.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Not to cross posts but coming from the UK I am done with isolationist thinking:
Your not one of us, not local, not from round here, we don't do that here approach. Effectively the drive by posts are background noise and the idiots will be washed up on the tide of sanity, knowledge and joy of drums.

Let em be....

Stroker

Platinum Member
I'm a newcomer to DW, registered the 7th of July 2016, and as of today have a staggering 9 posts to my credit.

I chose to sign-up as a member to read, learn, and enjoy the conversation, even if I'm not here on a daily basis and shy-away from engaging every new topic that arises, however, for those times I may have a question to present or an idea to share, I would hope that a member such as myself would be welcome to do so, regardless of how long I have been a member for or the credentials related to my post count, but more importantly, I would hope that my involvement on the forum wouldn't be viewed by anyone as being drive-by.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Stroker, first off: welcome!

Second, my notion was not that there should be some high number of posts prior to starting a thread. My thinking was around 5 posts.

And finally, and perhaps surprisingly, I don't value a post based on the member's post count.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Stroker, first off: welcome!

Second, my notion was not that there should be some high number of posts prior to starting a thread. My thinking was around 5 posts.

And finally, and perhaps surprisingly, I don't value a post based on the member's post count.

Anybody else surprised, lol? :p

_

Last edited: