A dose of Huey Lewis - weird festival setup

Andy

Honorary Member
Our last festival of the season. It’s a VW rally, & the setup is a bit strange. Stage (trailer - grrrr) at a tangent to the bulk of the audience, & they’re almost all seated. There’s also a wide thoroughfare across the front of the stage from one side of the event to the other, with the audience distanced.

Anyhow, a daytime slot allowed opportunity for an after gig chill with beers & great food.

This is always a fun song to play with considerable “artistic licence” :cool:

A fine job Andy!

Agreed, it's a goofy set up to put a thoroughfare between the audience and the stage. Nothing quite takes you out of the concert experience like having an endless ebb of people casually moseying along in front of you.

The lady in red was rockin' out with you guys. :)

A fine job Andy!

Agreed, it's a goofy set up to put a thoroughfare between the audience and the stage. Nothing quite takes you out of the concert experience like having an endless ebb of people casually moseying along in front of you.
Thanks, & agreed, not an ideal setup.

Also the seated thing was unexpected, but later explained. Unlike most events, in this VW festival, they can bring their own alcohol. Families & groups bring in hand carts & such, find a spot early on, then stay there all day.

Damn, you're a groovemeister. Kudos to that sole dancer in red shirt. Sole dancers have guts.
No stage diving from that trailer though. Maybe they were thinking of having a croquet pitch or something.

This sounds great Andy!

Dude, I travel all over the place, and EVERY community-type concert I play always has that one or two people that are up dancing in front of everyone else.

Every. Time.

Damn, you're a groovemeister. Kudos to that sole dancer in red shirt. Sole dancers have guts.
Thanks, & yes they do!
This sounds great Andy!

Dude, I travel all over the place, and EVERY community-type concert I play always has that one or two people that are up dancing in front of everyone else.

Every. Time.
Cheers PPG. We’re used to a standard festival audience setup, so distanced & seated threw us a curved ball. Apparently numbers reduce in the evening & they get up to dance, but we had an afternoon slot (another thing we’re not used to). Good payer though!
Spot on cover. Wow.
Thanks!
The little kid with the pistol too.
Yeah - thought that disappeared decades ago. The event was pirate themed, so expected toy swords. Perhaps these were modern day pirates.

How crowds start dancing:

Seems like we were missing a follower on this gig!
We seem to never have a follower. Maybe we need to hire one and bring them to the gigs!

Awesome job by you and the fellas Andy 🙌🏼
Someone needs to put that kid with the cap gun on a list.

But in all seriousness, y'all are super tight and had a killer mix. Great job!
Thank you, & yes, not a parental choice I’d make in the context of where we live. Of course, everywhere is different, & I respect that.
We seem to never have a follower. Maybe we need to hire one and bring them to the gigs!
Are they available for hire? :D

Damn I need to get back into the swing as I'm jealous. That crowd is amazing; nice gig!

Thank you, & yes, not a parental choice I’d make in the context of where we live. Of course, everywhere is different, & I respect that.

Are they available for hire? :D
Actually, yes. Hollywood built an empire on fake laughs and applause. And paid audiences.

Damn I need to get back into the swing as I'm jealous. That crowd is amazing; nice gig!
A very stationary crowd however. A few numbers in, I remember looking over the crowd & wondering what are we getting wrong here? I could see many were singing along, tapping feet, etc, but nobody getting up. It was only after the gig that I appreciated the context.

That said, the act after us was called “Yam yam Elvis”. Apparently he’s a bit of a legend in that part of the world (UK - wider Birmingham area). Elvis impersonator, but with a “Brummy” accent. Musically, about as close to terrible as it’s possible to get, but he eventually got some people on their feet, so what do I know!
Actually, yes. Hollywood built an empire on fake laughs and applause. And paid audiences.
I think we’ll just stick to our path of occasionally not hitting the audience sweet spot.:D

A very stationary crowd however. A few numbers in, I remember looking over the crowd & wondering what are we getting wrong here? I could see many were singing along, tapping feet, etc, but nobody getting up. It was only after the gig that I appreciated the context.
I guess that's the crux of the matter. If you've got beverages, a chair and your sweetheart, why get up and dance? The band did entirely what was expected - keep folks at the venue! The outcome for the band was the same, though it looks a bit different than what you're used to seeing. Good on ya!

I guess that's the crux of the matter. If you've got beverages, a chair and your sweetheart, why get up and dance? The band did entirely what was expected - keep folks at the venue! The outcome for the band was the same, though it looks a bit different than what you're used to seeing. Good on ya!
Thanks. Festival organiser was happy, decent pay day considering an afternoon slot, & lots of positive comments across days after the gig, so all is good.

I doubt we’ll be booked for next year however, as we’ve played this festival 2 years on the run. That said, we’re already booked for 3rd consecutive appearances at two festivals next year. I genuinely don’t get that. I don’t think it’s necessarily good for the event. Audiences need a break / variety, but we’re not in the business of turning down good quality bookings.

Last edited:
Back