A completed project!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I've been collecting some orphaned Pearl shells and I've finally completed a traditional kit that I plan to use to work. It started out as a Pearl Session 22x16 bass drum wrapped in blue, a Pearl 16x16 Export floor tom in black, and a 1970s 13x9 Pearl mahogany rack tom that was wrapped in a metallic blue. I recovered all in black (floor tom stayed the same). But all the drums got new lugs to match and other metal bits were replaced if necessary. I'm very happy with the results!

One of my motivations for this kit was the 22x16 bass drum. Having 22x18 bass drums, that size just won't fit into the quad cab of my RAM 1500 pickup at all - it has to get cased and put in the back. With a 16" depth, all the drums will fit in the passenger section back seat, along with hardware if I just put it on the floor. So this makes going out for a casual gig much less of an event for me. I gave the drums a good tuning and they sound great! The wrap I got from Jammin Sams, and although it's not as cool as getting the whole wrap glued to the shell, it's not bad.

Another sacrilege I did was drill the 13" tom for a tom mount. This kit was all about making it easy to go out and work, and technically I don't notice that big of a sonic difference with or without a suspension mount - even less so when the band starts playing! So there's a close up of that. This kit's pretty cool!

full-kit.jpgKit-close-up.jpg

IBitePrettyHard

Very nice! It looks like a legit kit if you don't give it too much scrutiny. It should fool all but the nerdiest of drum enthusiasts. (like us)

The big question is, does it sound like a cohesive set despite having different wood types?

In other words, would anybody notice a difference in sound if you didn't tell them?

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Looks like a fun kit. Wasn't the 13 already drilled being from the 70s?

What is that shorty tube in the left tom holder for? Is it stuck?

mikyok

Platinum Member
For a no nonsense gigging kit you can't go wrong here.

The 26x14 beast you have would go very well with the 13 and 16.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Looks like a fun kit. Wasn't the 13 already drilled being from the 70s?

What is that shorty tube in the left tom holder for? Is it stuck?
The 13” tom was drilled for the smaller Pearl old style mount, so I originally plugged those holes before it got covered. I originally tried the RIMS mount but gated the additional metal and the fact I couldn’t easily mount it off the bass drum where I wanted it - so out came the 1.25” hole saw!
The additional pipe you see I plan to use to mount cowbells, or what not.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
And regarding the sound, they sound cohesive. The toms have coated emperors and I think matching heads have more to do with the sound than matching wood. My Reference kit goes high to low: birch, birch/maple, maple, maple/mahogany, and those sound like they belong together. This kit is mostly birch/mystery wood with the 13” mostly mahogany, I think any differences are negligible.