A Classical Musician's first hearing of a drum solo...

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
And it was of the Professor of the drumkit. What's cool is how she's hip to his artistry even though she's from a very different world musically.

Listen to her reaction.

Being open to new ideas and different musical genres is alway a good thing. I remember was going to Tony Williams clinic , and he was asked what was the last album he listened to, and said “ Pink Floyd.” Bebop saxophone legend Charlie Parker was said to have an affinity for country music.

don't think so; this guy's real.

and a hoot check him out
regarding reaction videos

Last edited:
I love reaction videos where some kind of pro gets excited (about music I like..) and explains what is played and why it's great. But I don't really believe a classical or jazz musician or any kind of musician who has never heard a drum solo. I think some can be genuine though like opera singer listening to Leprous etc. After all about 100% of people I know have never heard of Einar and would be shocked. Never having heard a drum solo is bit less likely, but could be valid in a sense that someone never actively listened to one. Most people go through life that way. Also, since playing music from other artists, these channels are demonetized, so not that easy to profit other than from donations.

I almost listened to this a few days ago, but I get hit with soooo many "first time reaction" videos when I open up Youboob that I really just ignore all of them.

I have the 3 main reaction people i like, and just stick with them.

and a good musician will be impressed by good music across the board...regardless of genre. That is the thing about good music, it all has the same elements that make music solid, regardless of genre.

A great classical piece, and a great death metal piece all have the same elements,, they are just presented in a diferent way.

and classical music is not always an automatic bellwether either. There is A TON of mediocre classical stuff out there, ,and i have come across MANY classical musicians who are completely talking out of thier a$$ when it comes to music critique...especially regarding drums/percussion

and classical music is not always an automatic bellwether either. There is A TON of mediocre classical stuff out there, ,and i have come across MANY classical musicians who are completely talking out of thier a$$ when it comes to music critique...especially regarding drums/percussion

As someone who plays in a virtual ensemble that does many orchestral recordings....so much this. Clueless as to how percussion works/is played/etc.

Luckily thanks to my and others efforts, its gotten a lot better, but there's definitely giant blind spots for percussion from string players especially (brass tend to be slightly better, but there's still holes in knowledge).

"First drum solo"

Most of these reaction videos are fake fyi. Its a low-barrier cost of entry video type that's really easy to make for even laypeople, you just have to know how to act "surprised" and you can dupe people into giving you a shitton of views.
If I could set youtube to automatically ignore all reaction videos, i'd be a lot happier. I don't really care about a classical violinist pretending to react to 46&2.

If I could set youtube to automatically ignore all reaction videos, i'd be a lot happier. I don't really care about a classical violinist pretending to react to 46&2.
this seems like a strong reaction

Storage Wars salts the lockers in the show with unique items.
Freddie Dodge and Juan Ibarro use gold salted pans in their show.
The reaction videos have become the YouTube equivalent of the above.
I've seen a couple interesting ones. But I don't need someone else's reaction to justify what I like. It doesn't make it more meaningful if it's someone outside of the music's typical demographic. It means more from someone inside of it (to me).

Back